BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 3h, 21m | CPU: 61% | MEM: 5786MB of 10906MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:06 pm 
Donator

So, on short notice, as in less than 24 hours, I'm leaving for an 800km road trip. Wheee ;_; anyway, I need to know what I need in regards to powering a laptop in teh car.

Preferably would like to be able to get it from http://www.D I C K S M I T H.com.au without spaces or http://www.jaycar.com.au, since I can get to those locations tomorrow.

2 laptops to choose from, will only take the thinkpad if my wall charger for my Acer doesnt come tomorrow... also Rioter if your reading, please post your Acer charger specs, I'm basing mine off stuff from the net.

ACER ASPIRE 5315 CHARGER // 100V-240V (Input), 19V (Output), 4.74A(Output Current) 90W
IBM THINKPAD R30 CHARGER // Input: 100-240V~ 1.2A-0.5A 50/60Hz Output: 16V 4.5A

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:28 pm 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
ACER ASPIRE 5315 CHARGER // 100V-240V (Input), 19V (Output), 4.74A(Output Current) 90W

Look: Power=Current*Voltage

IBM THINKPAD R30 CHARGER // Output: 72 Watts

Just buy something whose power is higher than 90 watts.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:28 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
You will need 1 (one) Power inverter (I'm currently typing this in the car, whilst I wait for my mother to finish her nursing boards testing, and am "borrowing" the internet at the place.)
I would suggest atleast 100W or bigger, I have a 95 watt, and my 90W brick use to trip the inverter all the time.
You would be best off getting an inverter from a well-known brand (My generic one gets freakishly warm, and isn't too reliable).
Best thing about an inverter is that it works with any and every laptop under the wattage of the inverter, so you aren't wasting money on a car adapter for a certain model of laptop (just incase you ever need to replace your laptop)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:54 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Actually some laptop PSU's hate power inverters since their output is Modified Sine Wave, not Pure Sine Wave like you get from the mains grid. They're also highly inefficient. You will be better off with a proper in-car adapter.

If your laptop is 90watts but the in-car charger you found is only 80 watts for example, it will be fine, providing you're not going to charge the laptops battery at the same time as using it. Remember that 90 watts is only ever reached when you're using the CPU/GFX to maximum and charging the battery from completely dead. Otherwise you'll be fine. Use power saving options to force the CPU to a slower speed if necessary.

EDIT: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD Pricey but it will work for definite.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:56 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Andy wrote:

EDIT: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD Pricey but it will work for definite.

Thats probably the best one you can get. Guaranteed to work for either the Acer or the Thinkpad.

Also, what specs does Mister Happydude want from my charger?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:59 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
He wants the current/voltage readings from the power pack so he knows exactly which one to get.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:28 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
LiteOn AC Adaptor
Model: PA-1650-02
Input: 100-240V AC 1.6A 50-60Hz
Output: 19V DC 3.42A 65W

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:07 pm 
Donator

Time to go shopping me thinks ... thanks Andy

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:48 am 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
So, on short notice, as in less than 24 hours, I'm leaving for an 800km road trip. Wheee ;_; anyway, I need to know what I need in regards to powering a laptop in teh car.

Preferably would like to be able to get it from http://www.D I C K S M I T H.com.au without spaces or http://www.jaycar.com.au, since I can get to those locations tomorrow.

2 laptops to choose from, will only take the thinkpad if my wall charger for my Acer doesnt come tomorrow... also Rioter if your reading, please post your Acer charger specs, I'm basing mine off stuff from the net.

Well, at [censored] Smith, you'll have a battle getting a charger for both, their car chargers only do full amperages (eg: 4.00A, 5.00A). Might I suggest an inverter? Turns 12V into 240V, standard AC socket to fit anything. I'm not sure what they're worth right now, but a 300W did the trick for my laptop. Just make sure you don't use it when the car isn't running :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:49 am 
Donator

pizzaboy192 wrote:
You will need 1 (one) Power inverter (I'm currently typing this in the car, whilst I wait for my mother to finish her nursing boards testing, and am "borrowing" the internet at the place.)
I would suggest atleast 100W or bigger, I have a 95 watt, and my 90W brick use to trip the inverter all the time.
You would be best off getting an inverter from a well-known brand (My generic one gets freakishly warm, and isn't too reliable).
Best thing about an inverter is that it works with any and every laptop under the wattage of the inverter, so you aren't wasting money on a car adapter for a certain model of laptop (just incase you ever need to replace your laptop)

Sorry, missed that completely on my read, i'm a bit tired. Ignore me ^_^

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop Car Charger - What do I need?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:03 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
rayle,

The current doesn't matter, providing it exceeds what the laptop requires. It will only use what it wants, you can't force it to take excess current. It is however there if it needs it.

E.G a laptop that wants 19v 4.74A but your supply is 19v 6A is fine. But, if you buy a 19v 4A supply for the same laptop, then it wouldn't be enough. While you'd likely get away with it if you weren't running it intensively and charging the battery at once, its not quite enough to run it and you could burn the PSU out pretty quick if you forget and run it at full pelt and try to charge the battery at once.

The main thing that matters is the voltage. You can go 1v in either direction but no more than that. Current must always match or exceed the rating required unless you can run the laptop with no battery/fully charged battery or in low power mode.

Top  Profile  WWW