BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 16h, 29m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5742MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:51 am 
Donator

So I've still got my 7ish year old IBM Thinkpad R30... still chugging along...
A lot of my school lessons now involve computing some how so I can take my laptop rahrahrah but I'd rather take this clunker than my Acer... I don't exactly trust my school (on a related note, my locker was flooded out today)

ANYWAY, the 30GB HDD in this is starting to die, and I was considering making my own SSD to put in this, either a 4 or 8GB SSD (I don't keep files on this), and use that with either Windows XP or Server 2003, both cut down (I can run Windows 2000, but I do not believe it is compatible with all my programs)

Only things I can think of that might be a problem are:
1) Page file
2) This thing isn't exactly speedy but I've heard with making your own SSD that using a CF card is 3 times faster than using an SD card, someone please confirm?

For possible reference, specs
Intel Pentium3 1Ghz/700Mhz, Speedstep.
256MB PC133 RAM, 248 available for Windows
IDE HDD interface. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:03 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
1) Don't worry about it. Every system needs a PF to run properly, especially for games. Just remember to disable anything that excessively uses the hard disk such as defrag (not needed on SSD's) and windows search.

2) Wrong. A real half decent SSD is far faster than a CF card. However for just a usable system rather than one performance based, a CF based SSD will be fine. Don't expect any great speeds though.

You might find it hard to find a proper SSD in IDE form. You'll likely only be able to find the CF card type.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:58 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
2) Wrong. A real half decent SSD is far faster than a CF card. However for just a usable system rather than one performance based, a CF based SSD will be fine. Don't expect any great speeds though.

No, an SD card, Secure Digital, the thing you find in most cameras, not SSD... :P

I plan to make my own SSD using either a CF or SD card...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:19 pm 
Donator

With only that much RAM you'll need a pagefile no matter what, which is probably going to make your SSD idea unbearably slow. If you're going to stick with this idea, you can't boot from these so you'll need an IDE to CF/SD adapter (do they even make IDE to SD?) AND you should most certainly buy like 1 GB of RAM and get rid of your pagefile. Even then you'll probably run into some out-of-memory errors if you have a lot of stuff open at once or use Photoshop.

The fast CF cards are expensive, with even the fastest you would be lucky to hit read/write speeds of even a modest 2.5", 5400 RPM traditional HDD. If you're really concerned about speed, all of the decent CF and SD cards have their speeds listed on the packaging. The X speeds are the same for SD and CF so you can directly compare them. Also, some manufacturers list the write speed and others list the read speed so you'll need to worry about that.

Without spending a ton of money, you're probably going to be stuck with crappy performance unless you just buy a regular HDD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:40 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I have a laptop set up with an IDE to CF adapter, and a CF to SDHC adapter, with an 8gb SD card in it. It does it's job, and it does it better than most of the old HDDs that I have lying around. The beauty of using an SD card is that you can "modify" the HDD area (depending on the laptop, it might be on a sled, or it might be under a "door" on the bottom of the laptop) and make the SD cards removable (Works great for systems where you want one install of an OS for one thing, and a seperate install for another thing.)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
whistler
Hi,
I wouldnt recomment it. I tried 8GB kingston 133x CF card along with some CF/IDE adapter running windows xp and it was incredibly laggy. And faster card (266x) would cost almost same money as hdd. If i were you, i'd go for some 80/160GB HDD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:53 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
happy dude wrote:
Andy wrote:

No, an SD card, Secure Digital, the thing you find in most cameras, not SSD... :P

I plan to make my own SSD using either a CF or SD card...

My apologies, I mis-read. Yes, you would be correct in this case, since fast SD cards do cost a fair amount compared to CF.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hi,

Speaking from experince, i bought a Samsung 32gb SSD for my Compaq Evo n410c (P3-1200mhz with 1gb ram) - and it runs great!! - kick the h*ll out of ATA disks.

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
If you go for a SSD drive or a CF>IDE Drive be sure to disable any indexing services, and if you want i can build a Windows Embedded image for your laptop so it doesnt take all your memory (the current generic image that i have consumes 70MB of ram so 256mb should be enough)Please PM me for this if you want it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:55 am 
Donator

leonbollerup wrote:
Hi,

Speaking from experince, i bought a Samsung 32gb SSD for my Compaq Evo n410c (P3-1200mhz with 1gb ram) - and it runs great!! - kick the h*ll out of ATA disks.

SSD:s do perform badly on writes though, they also have a limited amount of read/writes just like NAND-based USB sticks.

Offtopic Comment
1000th Post. w00t!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:06 am 
Donator

Id hardly say they perform bad on writes (still much faster than your normal hard drive) just not as good as they reading :P.

Congrats on your 1,000th <:o) .

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:15 am 
Donator

zamadatix wrote:
Id hardly say they perform bad on writes (still much faster than your normal hard drive)

Maybe if you spend $1k on one, which is like 1200% more than just a standard HDD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:42 am 
Donator

All: I just want to run Word and IE/FFX for writing up crap. No extreme photoshopping :P

@Whistlerfan: I'm interested, I'll PM you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:49 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
SSD's don't perform badly at all, infact they perform at least 3x faster than a standard hard disk, and the average SSD will last 10 years before it starts to encounter read/write errors. Thats still longer than the average life of any mechanical disk today.

SSD's can often reach 100MB/s write and 160MB/s read even for a cheap one, where as a standard mechanical hard drive will struggle to get 70MB/s write and 100MB/s read. Thats not bad, don't you think?!

SSD's also have the advantage of being able to do multiple tasks at once since the seek time is virtually zero compared to mechanical hard drives, so you don't get the "lag" experienced with a mechanical disk when copying several files at once (as an exampke). The same applies for flash memory (SD/CF etc).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:19 pm 
Donator

That's really great if you're just going to read/write large contiguous blocks of information to and from the drive one at a time. Small and random reads/writes is where they perform the worst, which is like 50% of what's actually going on when you use your computer. He's already stated that he doesn't want to spend a lot of money, and a CF card is going to be unbearably slow unless he spends more than this HDD that I'm listing below, and he would still only have a small fraction of the space.

Here is your cheap solution: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152109

Or any of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rchInDesc=

Just don't drop your laptop and you'll be fine. They'll most likely end up being cheaper than an IDE-to-CF adapter and a CF card. On top of that, I have a cheap (the cheapest) 4GB CF card in an old computer with one of these adapters and it transfers at around 3MB/s. In the end it cost more than those drives that I linked you to. Even Open-WRT took ~15 seconds to copy to it and it takes much longer than I'd like to boot up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:51 pm 
Donator

Since its a small drive in need i would fork the extra cash for something similar too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609330

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:15 pm 
Donator

So instead of having an extra 60GB for $45 you would rather pay about $80 for 16GB total?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:16 pm 
Donator

Peronally, yes. This isnt about what I want though he stated he was thinking of a 4-8gb ssd drive so this is still greatly larger than what he had in mind and much faster than a normal hard drive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS X 10.9 GNU/FreeBSD
zamadatix wrote:
Since its a small drive in need i would fork the extra cash for something similar too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609330

Problem is that's SATA, and I don't think a 7 year old laptop would have SATA in it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP
If there is an X (I think IDE) to s-ata it could work. I saw a video: Some built in a 1,8" HDD in the eeepc 4G. for this he needed to have an adapter, too i think

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Why not just buy a regular HD? Are you planning on dropping your laptop or something?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSD in an older laptop?        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:21 am 
Donator

Bender wrote:
Why not just buy a regular HD? Are you planning on dropping your laptop or something?

It's definetly bound to happen

Top  Profile