BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 50d, 14h, 55m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 6228MB of 10958MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:09 am 
Donator

Hello again BA! I've decided to have a gripe, if you don't mind of course.

The school where I work as a technician approved a plan this year to allow an IT class' students to help the ICT support technicians (me!), with our daily tasks, to basically gain knowledge in IT and it's areas. Now this is all find and dandy, I don't mind the assistance, and I don't mind teaching.

But these kids are USELESS. I'm sorry to have to say this, but they show no willingness to learn or listen, do any work what-so-ever, and basically spend their time sitting there making smart comments. One kid even said to me "I'm only doing this to get out of real classes". Now this INFURIATES ME! I've gone to their teacher multiple times, and she doesn't seem to care, the school ignores my complaints and my manager has his hands tied.

Firstly, there doesn't seem to be a set timetable. They just seem to turn up whenever, leaving me un-prepared to give them tasks. 80% of my jobs are in staff-only areas, and i've been told off for taking them into these areas, even for 30 seconds. If i give them a task which they had done 2 days ago, they've forgotten already how to do it, meaning I have to walk them through it again. And their attitude is HORRIBLE. I asked a student today to remove the DVD drive from a computer, and he removed the HDD. When I corrected him, he replied "How was I supposed to know that?". BECAUSE IT'S TECHNICIAN KNOWLEDGE 101! YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO KNOW BASIC HARDWARE COMPONENTS TO BE ABLE TO PASS IT COURSES. Their teacher seems to be teaching them the "important" stuff, like Word and Excel, but she won't teach them BASIC HARDWARE? And she expects them to be able to do tech support?

I could go on, but i'll be here for hours. I'm sorry for dumping this on you, but you seem to be a rather understanding community, and I really needed to vent on someone else for a change (my poor roommate :oops: ...). Thanks for letting me pop my top!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:51 am 
Donator

You could always write a guide thing and give it to them and treat it like a lesson might put the negative / get out of class ones off.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
I guess the IT class wasn't coordinated very well.

I also find that some students are willing to learn if they are entertained...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:25 am 
Donator

Thlump wrote:

Well, I do try to keep them entertained. I mean, I try to get them to do interesting tasks, but i'm not really a teacher (wish I got paid like an Australian teacher!), so i'm not quite sure what to do. However, i'm open to suggestions?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Get them some basic lessons from Aries Technology.

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/ar ... Categories

Had to do this course myself some 5 years ago.
Basic training, but if they pass this they can do all kinds of stuff.

(This stuff shown here is from 2004, in the meanwhile it has been updated (don't know if they did it)).

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 am 
Donator

if it is anything like the classes i did at school, you learn next to nothing about hardware. Just give them some really boring useless jobs. They will soon stop turning up. Or you can just say go way, too busy right now

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:11 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Give them lots of handouts (matching style questions, fill-in-the-blanks, and crosswords). Then let them ghost images. The trick is to make sure that your still able to do your job - if your students don't care and your not being paid to teach then don't worry about it. Just get your ICT support job done.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
You could post your resume on Monster and then type up a Letter or Resignation and leave it on your desk the next night to show them that you dont tolerate idiocracy....lol :evil:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:15 am 
Donator

Eh. Happens in all my computing related classes.

Aussie too. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
rayle wrote:
Thlump wrote:

Well, I do try to keep them entertained. I mean, I try to get them to do interesting tasks, but i'm not really a teacher (wish I got paid like an Australian teacher!), so i'm not quite sure what to do. However, i'm open to suggestions?

Open to suggestions?... hmmmm one thing that come to mind it to use a taser, when not listning Tase *zapp* that will teach them :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:10 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Sadly the law may intervene if he tries that :P Hehe :mrgreen:

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:38 pm 
FTP Access

Frozenport wrote:
Give them lots of handouts (matching style questions, fill-in-the-blanks, and crosswords). Then let them ghost images. The trick is to make sure that your still able to do your job - if your students don't care and your not being paid to teach then don't worry about it. Just get your ICT support job done.

This. Unfortunately in classes like this, you attract a lot of students who don't want to do anything and who aren't going to do anything. If you have to give them a grade, give them something you can easily grade and when they don't do it, fail them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Ambig wrote:
Frozenport wrote:

This. Unfortunately in classes like this, you attract a lot of students who don't want to do anything and who aren't going to do anything. If you have to give them a grade, give them something you can easily grade and when they don't do it, fail them.

I would give them an F anyways.

Offtopic Comment
If you're poor you can accept bribes.... joking :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Get off my darn lawn!        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:50 am 
Donator

motherboardlove wrote:
Ambig wrote:
Frozenport wrote:

I would give them an F anyways.

Offtopic Comment
If you're poor you can accept bribes.... joking :P

Ah, but I can't give them grades. I can give their teacher feedback, but everytime I give her negative feedback, I get told off for complaining :(

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]