BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 6h, 39m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 5407MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows CE 2.11 Build 9015
Greetings,

I tried posting this on another forum and got flamed to kingdom come.
Due my life experiences, I think that everything -be it natural or human made- has some kind of... anima. Obviously I think computers also have this and sometimes find myself talking to them (not fulfledged conversations -I'm not THAT crazy- but remarks on current situations or the work being done by it).

So, if you could thank a computer for whatever reason, which would it be and why?

For example, I would thank my Game Boy Pocket for introducing me to portable devices, and my Casio Cassiopeias (E-100 and E-125) for showing me that portable devices, even those created for work, can be fun, also because of their versatility which pulled me through in many college related situations (from having to read books, to making a forgotten homework in the class I had to turn it in).

-Commanderraf

Help me get to my goal of 5 bitcoins! Donate to 166wvZUzA8j7Ltf3eZZK8KW1fCeiAPFVtr

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:03 pm 
Donator

So you think your Gameboy has a soul/spirit/life force? I think you've been watching too much anime.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Partly true, but it started before I became so fond of Japan.
I don't know, I've always thought that inanimate objects have some kind of "thing", and that's why they start working when you really, really need them to, or when they "repair themselves" just as the emergency (read, expensive) service repairman arrives because you told him and swore the damn appliance wasn't working.

-Commanderraf

Help me get to my goal of 5 bitcoins! Donate to 166wvZUzA8j7Ltf3eZZK8KW1fCeiAPFVtr

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:16 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I'm thankful for my TI99\4A for introducing me to BASIC (knew alot more than the rest of my class did in grade school), computers (I can't live without one now, and usually am elbow deep in one device or another), games (It was my first gaming system, and I still can't get enough of Parsec (Haven't even gotten to level 16 yet...)), and the nasty stench that leaking capacitors smell like (Lets me know when there is a lost cause).
I am thankful for my broken PS2, it gave it's life so that I could build a mini-PC.
I am also thankful for my fancy-schmancy $2.49 keyboard that I purchased at a garage sale. Saved my wrists, and will keep them in "good" health for a few more years.
I'm also thankful for my now _almost_ dead Compaq Armada m700. It served me well, it lasted quite a long time, and it never complained when I shoved it in my locker during school. (I'm buying a 3-pack off eBay in the near future, keep my beast running for a few more years... might hold me off till college)

I prolly can't end here without thanking my GameBoy Classic. That device showed me that no matter how long you hope that it will somehow get fixed, once you drop it, it is definitely broken.
I am also thankful for spellcheck... otherwise I would appear as an idiotic almost-17 year old.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:47 am 
Donator

pizzaboy192 wrote:
I am thankful for my broken PS2, it gave it's life so that I could build a mini-PC.

A Mini-PC out of a PS2?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:19 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
4512jth wrote:
pizzaboy192 wrote:

A Mini-PC out of a PS2?

ITX board, PicoPC PSU, 2.5" Sata drive, Laptop Sata optical drive
(I sold it, forgot to take pictures though)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:10 pm 
Donator

Original or Slim?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
onghornLay 4029/Whistler 2419
I am thankful for my Gameboy Advanced for giving me my first taste of portable gaming, Windows 98 for letting me install it on so many old computers, the numerous old computers I have been privileged to have taken apart over the years, my current main 320 GB hard drive for letting me reformat, re-partition and abuse it so, and a huge thanks to my current computer (the rest of it), giving me the ability to experience all the new Operating Systems developed by MS, without it, I'd still be running 2k or XP on a 550Mhz P3. And one special mention to my recently obtained Armada M700 1Ghz laptop, it's not the biggest beast of a laptop, and it has no built in wireless, but I will continue to use it until it conks out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:06 pm 
FTP Access

My cell phone? lol. My Motorola RAZR2 V9 goes everywhere I go.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:46 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Windows OCManage wrote:
Original or Slim?

You gotta use the fat ones, The Slim that I have is still waiting for nVidia to release a Tegra for personal use so that it can be a nice system too (I have everything setup right now, to use it as an external storage\cd drive, just need to get the adapter)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:50 pm 
FTP Access

A couple of years ago I used to whisper to my computer "Please..." whenever I restored backups because they usually didn't work :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
My iPod touch 16Gb because IMO it's the best iPod

And my MySkyHDi box because recording and pausing shows is handy

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:58 am 
Donator

I'm most grateful for my computer as it allows me to do loads of things and enjoy the internet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
Im most greatful to my mouse and keyboard. Without these items my pc wouldnt do very much at all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:21 am 
Donator

Devices I am grateful for:

Hot water heater.
Heater.
Refridgerator.
Stove.
Washing Machine.
Alarm clock.
Telephone.
Radio.
Pen/Writing Utensils.
Desktop Computer.
Netbook.
Television.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
All of the above. And the water supply. Today, the water supply went off for a few hours, so I had to wash my hands with a ice cube...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Deus ex machina!

(Get it... it's a plot device... oh forget it, my iPhone then)

Signed
-Commanderraf

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
well i guess i would thank my pc for making music production that much easier, without using analog outboard equipment, being able to sit at one device and being able to do everything i would using do on 8 devices is pretty handy if you ask me...

but when i pc goes nutso like it did about 4 weeks ago....it makes me nervous, i finally got it up and running, but its seems to be still doing odd things...

*oh and thank god for backup devices! :P

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
longview wrote:
Deus ex machina!

Hah, Deus Ex Machina. How many lame script writers and novelists that has saved. Interesting anwer.
longview wrote:
Signed
-Commanderraf

Huh?

-Commanderraf

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Definitely my computer. It's my realm to the digital world. Without it, I wouldn't have found this place in the first place to be posting this here now. :-)

- Commanderraf

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Derf wrote:
Definitely my computer. It's my realm to the digital world. Without it, I wouldn't have found this place in the first place to be posting this here now. :-)

- Commanderraf

Lots of things im grateful for:

1. Computer/Laptop

Offtopic Comment
Destruction Tools:

2. Matchers/Flares
3. Saw/Drill

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:08 am 
Donator

Also headphones.

- Commanderraf

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:10 am 
Donator

I guess my phone. Should really be phones since I'm looking at buying my 4th phone for the year.

/shrugs

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:13 pm 
tampon is i am grateful for

PostPost subject: Re: The device you're most grateful to        Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
QuiescentWonder wrote:
So you think your Gameboy has a soul/spirit/life force? I think you've been watching too much anime.

Tsk tsk.

I generally swear at everything I own - especially my computers.

Even though I enjoy solving probems with computers, I actually hate how technology is going these days; everyone reies on it far too much.

Top  Profile