BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 12h, 12m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5533MB of 10919MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Should I overclock my GPU?        Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:05 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Win 10 64-bit
I feel that my graphics card could be doing better... Should I overclock and to what value should I?

Here's my current settings:
EDIT: The BBcode was "censored"

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageuploa ... .47736.jpg

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I overclock my GPU?        Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:37 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Overclocking isn't as simple as it sounds as all CPU's/GPU's are different. A good overclock on one CPU might be disastrous for another and cause instability and crashing before you can say your name.

My advice is leave it alone. I toyed with doing this to my own graphics, but I found that my CPU maxed out before the graphics card did so it wasn't worth it.

If you're going to overclock then you need to do it in small increments, and we're talking 5MHz at most, then run stress testing for at least 30 minutes each time you make a change to determine its stability. If you get artifacts appearing on the rendering, then that setting is not a good overclock and you need to reduce it. Similarly if it locks up the whole computer you need to lower the speed.

Just because the sliders go so high, it doesn't mean your graphics can take the speed indicated on the sliders. Use 5MHz increments and stress test for a minimum of 30 minutes using graphics benchmarking software.

Overclocking is a very slow process, it can't be rushed or you'll get unsatisfactory results.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I overclock my GPU?        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:00 am 
Donator

I tried overclocking but I kept getting horizontal lines if I changed anything by the smallest increment :/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I overclock my GPU?        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:20 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I have had pains OC-ing. My processor is an AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+, and the highest it got to with mix-and-match RAM was 3.0ghz (from 2.2). Only problem was that my MCP was running way too hot for any good use.
I have found that the best settings are the ones that not only are stable, but don't overheat your PC.
Also, try to get as high as it can without touching voltages. My old Nvidia died because I set the voltages way to high.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I overclock my GPU?        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista RTM
Overclocking my GPU was just a snap!

From about 500 mhz stock GPU clock I bumped it to 700 mhz.
Yes, it's very stable and it's an 8500 GT 512 MB! Which is VERY crappy.
All I did is to add a 6000 RPM old PSU fan on the heatsink. Loud but very good improvement in games.

Personally, I can't use a computer if it's not overclocked xD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I overclock my GPU?        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
Overclocking may be pretty easy however in the long run even if you have cooling you will be drastically reducing the life span of your gpu. If its original life span is 5 years it would probably reduce to 2 years. That is why manufacturers are encouraging people to overclock so that when the product being overclocked dies the consumer will be forced to buy the product again hence increasing sale values subtly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I overclock my GPU?        Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Beta 3 build 1946
There is no need to perform the overclocking on such card: 8400GS. How much are you expecting a 64-bit display memory bandwidth to increase performance by overclocking? If youre determined to do it, DON'T increase voltage too fast or too much at a time!

Memory: 4 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800
HDD: WD3200AAJS + WD2003FYYS + WD6001FSYZ + WD1500HLFS
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620W Modular

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I overclock my GPU?        Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:03 pm 

Favourite OS
Dancing Banana
My GPU came overclocked and it's given it nothing but trouble. NVidia for overclocking? I would say just leave it as standard... or at max +10%.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I overclock my GPU?        Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:20 pm 
FTP Access

Umz93 wrote:
Overclocking may be pretty easy however in the long run even if you have cooling you will be drastically reducing the life span of your gpu. If its original life span is 5 years it would probably reduce to 2 years. That is why manufacturers are encouraging people to overclock so that when the product being overclocked dies the consumer will be forced to buy the product again hence increasing sale values subtly.

This is untrue. Overclocking has no bearing on the life term of a product provided sufficient steps are taken to ensure longevity, such as after market cooling. As an example, I have an XPM 2500+ that has been running @ 2.4ghz for over 6 years. Thats well over the stock clock and stock voltage and yet it shows no sign of breaking any time soon. I have not had 1 component fail due to overclocking and most cases where failure occurs are due to negligence on the part of the user and happen almost immediately, not after a period of time.

Manufacturers offer tools for overclocking, and manufacturers release factory OCd units specifically because there is a market, and it sells products. Todays fab processes allow for greater scope when overclocking, with heat being less of an issue due to lower thermal properties, and often components will become unstable long before they are in danger failing .

The key is moderation. Read, read, and read some more and then think about overclocking. Most cards will see little benefit in being overclocked due to the locked down voltage supply which limits how far you can push performance from the GPU clock, so while you might achieve a higher clock speed, there may not be enough available power to maintain an adequate level of performance and the system can produce artifacts or become unstable. Overclocking is a black art, but there has been an unlimited amount of work done on the subject so even part specific information shouldn't be hard to come by.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I overclock my GPU?        Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:25 am 

Favourite OS
Dancing Banana
As long as you get a nice stable clock and don't keep messing around with it it can last fine yeh. With the GPU I mentioned above. Forcing it to clock lower than new (but higher than a normal 8800GTS) was sufficient to stop the stability issues I suffered.

Top  Profile