BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 1h, 54m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 6090MB of 12257MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Compaq Armada m700 Screen issues        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:07 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I have a rugged Armada m700 from around 2000, and it is just now starting to have problems.
Now before you tell me to get a new laptop, I can't and wont. This laptop isn't one that I can just replace, seeing as it is my only other spare laptop and the one that I loan out to people for long-term use.

The problem I am having is quite strange. The hinges went "bad" some time ago, and I am planning on replacing them as soon as I figure out how to open up the screen (encased in metal). The problem that I have now is strange. When tipped at certain angles, the screen will just stop working, or sometimes only parts of the screen. usually starts with the horizontal pixels, sometimes the bottom or top half goes blank, other times it just melts away. I know this isn't the back light (Which surprises me since I nearly broke the connector off the mobo when trying to fix it last time) because the screen stays light while the fading occurs.
I have checked the screen's data cable, and can't find any problems, but before it got really bad, the problem could be resolved by forcefully tapping on the piece of plastic right over the screen's conenctor on the mobo. This doesn't even work now, so i'm desperate, and asking for help.
I found replacement systems on eBay, but i would rather try to fix it before diving in to $40 sets of laptops with $30 shipping costs.

-pizza

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Compaq Armada m700 Screen issues        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
Sounds like a lose connection somewhere in the LVDS data cable or somewhere in the screen/motherboard itself.
I would test every single wire with a multimeter to see if theres a lose connection.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Compaq Armada m700 Screen issues        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:39 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I guess that brings me to finding out how to open the screen...
Any ideas where to find a repair guide, or has someone successfully opened the screen assembly on an Armada?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Compaq Armada m700 Screen issues        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
Here you go!

http://www.mk-stuff.de/artikel/how_to_disassemble_a_compaq_armada_m700/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Compaq Armada m700 Screen issues        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:13 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
You Are A LifeSaver (or saved the life of my laptop)
I have had an Armada m700 since '02 and I had to learn the hard way about repairing it at first. (I later learned that a allen wrench does a much better job than a flat screwdriver and a pair of pliers for the screws)
I was wary to approach my 3rd Armada, but this should help alot. Now if nothing else, i'll just need a new set of mouse buttons, and a screen cable. shouldn't be to hard to wrangle them up on ebay...

EDIT: Almost a life saver... sorry... I need to learn how to get inside the display assembly. That is the part that is bugging me, it is encased in metal, and causes some big problems when trying to open it. I have figured out what caused this problem though... it would probably be when I crashed my bike and my cheap laptop bag didn't have protection for the bottom left corner (now splintered plastic, and a small dent in the screen's shell)
I'll probably end up buying replacement parts on ebay anyways.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Compaq Armada m700 Screen issues        Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Professional SP4
Whistler_fan wrote:
Sounds like a lose connection somewhere in the LVDS data cable or somewhere in the screen/motherboard itself.
I would test every single wire with a multimeter to see if theres a lose connection.

You could try inspecting the LVD cable connector on the laptop's motherboard before opening the display assembly.

Top  Profile