BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 11h, 35m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 2852MB of 4909MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

FTP: The FTP is planned to be offline for some time during Friday to Sunday this weekend for upgrades. 19/04/2018

Automatic Notice: The FTP is currently experiencing problems and is offline. Please sit tight while the problem is fixed. - 21/Apr 08:41am GMT

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: XP Embedded        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:26 am 
i tried to install xp embedded in vmware, but the CD isnt bootable. why? ive got 2 cds and there not bootable, inside are only "DATABASE" (MS Sql)and EVULATION"( an Txt file what shows the eula)

what can i do??

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:41 am 
Donator

You need to install the Windows Embedded Studio and the Target Designer first and manually build an image that is exactly assimilated to the hardware you're running it on and contains exactly the software components you want/require it to have. Then, the image/directory structure is built and this master image (or its contents) need(s) to be transferred to the HD of the target system. As a final step, you have to manually install the NT boot loader and point it to the XPe OS, unless you have already built a bootable SDI image - in this case, you just need to transfer the image over.

See? XPe isn't installable by just booting from a CD... Do you know what XP Embedded is and what it is meant for? It's not even meant to be run on genreric PCs, and the ability to install it by booting from CD would be unnecessary and, more than that, nonsense because this OS is componentized

Creating an XPe image for use in Virtual PC

Windows XP Embedded Help

Windows XP Embedded Datasheet

Here are some screenshots of a very stripped, rudimentary and quite old XP Embedded image I built some time ago and ran in Virtual PC:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:17 am 
FTP Access

Actually, the first disk should be bootable. It boots into Windows XP Preinstallation Environment. (something like that). However it is rather useless and you do need to install the software on the disks. Also you should see if you can find the 3rd disk which includes Service Pack 2.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:34 am 
Donator

Hmm, actually my 1st XPe disk (this is from the download) contains some files (win51, win51ip, win51ip.sp2, winbom.ini) that could mean something regarding bootability, but there is no WinPE OS structure or image on the CD that could be booted even if the disk was indeed bootable. So I think it's not bootable, none of them are.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:13 am 
FTP Access

I just checked it is bootable, I also checked on the site from where I downloaded it.......... and it is an unmodified CD.

I also checked the documentation, it does mention it as a bootable disk.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:22 am 
Donator

OK, so I stand corrected. The download I got is the evaluation kit from MS, and you don't get the actual disks as ISO images, but rather the files, and I think the files that are on my 1st disk don't qualify as a bootable OS and the documentation I got with it doesn't say anything about it as far as I can see. Can you link me to your documentation where this is mentioned? Also, can you give me more information on your disk?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:28 pm 
I guess it depends on what you have & where you got it from...
The 3 disk set I have here has disk 1 & 3 bootable...
Disk 1 is Sp1 embedded, Disk 3 is Sp2 Embedded, both Genuine iso's..

Couldn't say where I got the set from though.. :?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:39 pm 
KenOath wrote:
I guess it depends on what you have & where you got it from...
The 3 disk set I have here has disk 1 & 3 bootable...
Disk 1 is Sp1 embedded, Disk 3 is Sp2 Embedded, both Genuine iso's..

Couldn't say where I got the set from though.. :?

thx, 3 cds? ive got only 2 and the mui

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:49 pm 
Donator

@Namronia: CD #3 contains SP2.

@KenOath: When you boot from CD #1/#3, what does it boot? PE?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:04 pm 
ok, and the fba (first boot agent) does i only know from eiger/flp, is it @ embedded to?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:04 pm 
Donator

Yes. FLP is (partly) based on Embedded. Haven't you seen my screenshots above, one shows the FBA on Embedded?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:14 pm 
yes, but i cant believe, it looks exactly like flp

and edit:

have you got a german embedded?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:25 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
yes, but i cant believe, it looks exactly like flp

and edit:

have you got a german embedded?

1. FLP seems to use the same post-install process as XPe, I can't help it. That's why the FBA is used. The other screenshots I posted are from XP Embedded, this is clearly visible, isn't it? If you still don't believe me (which makes me feel a bit offended, BTW, as I don't need to show any fake screenshots or something like that, these are real, and XPe was released long before FLP), here is a web page that clearly shows FBA is part of XPe: http://www.schau.com/gz/howto/xpevmware/test.html

2. No. But I don't use German OSes primarily anyway. I believe there's only a MUI available for XPe, as the base OS is in English. It's the same with FLP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:09 pm 
FTP Access

Does XPE can boot directly from PXE ?
In france, they uses WXPE at McDonald on PIII 800/128Mbits, and the system runs well.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:57 pm 
FTP Access

Has anyone made an embedded image for a desktop machine? It would be cool to have one made for gaming and surfing then add componants from secondary apps for other needed things.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:07 pm 
FTP Access

you can find one on *mule ;-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:12 am 
Donator

@atomcomputer
Yes, XPe can be booted using PXE. http://www.gctglobal.com/Contact/Remote_Boot/remote_boot.html Feeding Google with "XPe PXE" reveals that as the 1st page, by the way :roll:
And as far as the "XPe image on *mule" goes, how would the creator deal with the thousands of possible hardware configurations that his image could come across with?

@dirtwarrior
As I said, I have made an XPe image for use within Virtual PC and I am quite sure it could be adapted for use on a desktop PC as well, but in order to alter the image, you have to rebuild it. If you need a really stripped down XP image for gaming and that stuff, use XP and nLite it heavily.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:04 am 
FTP Access

dirtwarrior wrote:
Has anyone made an embedded image for a desktop machine? It would be cool to have one made for gaming and surfing then add componants from secondary apps for other needed things.

I built one for my laptop (I don't have a desktop). It wasn't that different in terms of speed or similarities from a regular XP, for gaming to work you need quite a few things from a normal XP installation. The stuff you didn't need was part of the base system so couldn't be removed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:02 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
@atomcomputer
Yes, XPe can be booted using PXE. http://www.gctglobal.com/Contact/Remote_Boot/remote_boot.html Feeding Google with "XPe PXE" reveals that as the 1st page, by the way :roll:
And as far as the "XPe image on *mule" goes, how would the creator deal with the thousands of possible hardware configurations that his image could come across with?

This images was created for Virtual Pc :D
I've tried to search PXE solution in the MSDNA database last year, and i get nothing. I'm very happy to see that ;) That could be funny to try.

Top  Profile  WWW