BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 18h, 56m | CPU: 34% | MEM: 4973MB of 11209MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:21 pm 
FTP Access

:?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:25 am 
Donator

Worlds saddest attempt at promoting diversity.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
J.Byrne wrote:

Really, what's so sad about it? I think it's rare to find commercials like these...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:21 am 
Donator

Well, not sad, but very blunt and under-enthusiastic, and the fact that they dont mention Asians, Native Americans or any other cultural/ethnic groups.

Role Play:
Chinese man walks into store, begins loking at a bed.
Salesman: "This bed is great for a black person, or a white person" Salesman then preceeds to put on what appears to be a ghost costume.

Seriously though, I really didn't see that coming... very... blunt.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows CE 2.11 Build 9015
Speaking of weird commercials, this comes off as the winner. (Be aware: It uses a lot of swearing, but it is hillarious).

Though I've searched far and wide, I haven't found info on the car dealership, and there seems to be a mixed debate on the legitimacy of this ad.

-Commanderraf

Help me get to my goal of 5 bitcoins! Donate to 166wvZUzA8j7Ltf3eZZK8KW1fCeiAPFVtr

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:33 pm 
Donator

Thlump wrote:
J.Byrne wrote:

Really, what's so sad about it? I think it's rare to find commercials like these...

Rare? As in it's rare to find a crappier commercial?

The Big Bill Hell's commercial is obviously just a joke.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
QuiescentWonder wrote:
The Big Bill Hell's commercial is obviously just a joke.

Thanks for that QuiescentWonder. Although I searched everywhere, I couldn't find a straight answer about its authenticity.

Now, this next commercial is tech related. It aired in 2005 in Mexico City but it seems that it originated in Monterrey (a city located on the northern part of Mexico). It sold a cheap knockoff Ipod copy. Oh, but it's not an Ipod, it's an Aypo! (pronounced Ipod without the last "d").

But that's not all, this Aypo is not a mere mp player: It's an MP4 player, surpassing the mp3 format by one (I know. Officially MP4 is a video format, but believe me, I've even seen cheapo mp3 players advertised as MP5 because, you know, bigger is better). It also has a camera, digital controls and a color display (in case you were wondering about the first 3 functions that don't appear in the video). Has expandable memory! Plays movies in full HD and surround! Has Playstation 3 games! And it is an agenda, a FM radio, thumb drive, and has voice recording capabilities! Only with the Aypo MP4 player. It will make you stand out from your friends in the Cybercafé! (many people in Mexico still don't have computers, so they use the Cybercafés which in here are three or four crummy computers in a shop with no more services than browsing the internet and printing info -defeating the whole café part of the name) And you can share it with everyone: Kids! Friends! Lovers!

This beauty sold for 2,199 pesos, around 200 US dollars at the time.

Now, imagine having to do a research on Realpolitik a Sunday night. Its already 1:30 AM on Monday morning and, to keep on working, you turn on the TV. And you see this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_3eCqF8XJc&feature=related[/youtube]
(Sorry for the intro and outro, but this is the best quality video of the ad I could find).

You wonder how the sellers keep a straight face, why neither Paramount, Sony or Apple hasn't sued this company to kingdom come, and why anybody would buy such an obviously cheap thing. But you keep watching the ad in pure amazement that someone, somewhere, bought a shipment of "Aypos" and decided it to sell it through an infomercial in nationwide Mexican TV.

Believe me, I was quite awed, not by the incredible functions of the Aypo, but for the sheer stupidity of the ad.

-Commanderraf

Help me get to my goal of 5 bitcoins! Donate to 166wvZUzA8j7Ltf3eZZK8KW1fCeiAPFVtr

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:36 pm 
Donator

Cheap things like these are all over the place. MP4 is actually a container that can have audio or video of any format. Usually on these things though MP4 is related to the added functionality; it can play more than just MP3 files.

Quote:
I was quite awed, not by the incredible functions of the Aypo, but for the sheer stupidity of the ad.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but you must not watch much television. Ever seen Home Shopping Network?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
QuiescentWonder wrote:
I'm not trying to be an ass, but you must not watch much television. Ever seen Home Shopping Network?

Nope. I don't live in the US, so here in Mexico there aren't any infomercial-only channels. Besides, true infomercials are generally imported from the US, so in translation they try to fix them up (Mexican dubbing actors are very, very professional) and actually are quite enjoyable -currently on TV is the Mr. T one about an infrared cooking whatever and a few years back the "Jack LaLane Power Juicer" was all the rage, both were quite interesting.

-Commanderraf

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:31 am 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
Cheap things like these are all over the place. MP4 is actually a container that can have audio or video of any format. Usually on these things though MP4 is related to the added functionality; it can play more than just MP3 files.

Quote:
I was quite awed, not by the incredible functions of the Aypo, but for the sheer stupidity of the ad.

One word, ShamWow.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bizarre local furniture commercial        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3oHpup-pk&feature=related[/youtube]

Almost as bad.

Top  Profile