BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 15d, 10h, 30m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 5389MB of 11747MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:36 pm 
Donator

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/get-the-facts/browser-comparison.aspx

Don't have to say anything. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:42 pm 
Donator

zamadatix wrote:

Wow. Just WOW.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:14 pm 
FTP Access

Unbelievable...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
IE8 does seem faster on my systems, faster and more stable than FF3. Also InPrivate is pretty useful :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:03 am 
Donator

Too be fair firefox 3 is from 2008 :P (don't like it though it is slow). Anyway its more of the COMPLETE lying about other browsers. Right off the bat I noted Chrome has "incognito" which is the same as inprivate...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:17 am 
Donator

The Customisation and Compatability are just lies, most of the rest are semi-plausable depending on how you think, But if IE8 already comes with all the features you want in firefox from addons, then I'd be using IE8 right now, the only thing keeping me on firefox is Adblock Plus.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:21 am 
FTP Access

zamadatix wrote:
Too be fair firefox 3 is from 2008 :P (don't like it though it is slow). Anyway its more of the COMPLETE lying about other browsers. Right off the bat I noted Chrome has "incognito" which is the same as inprivate...

But it doesn't have a equivalent to InPrivate Filtering. That's why they lumped InPrivate Browsing and Filtering together.

What I find funny is that they claim IE8 complies to Web Standards, yet they claim it is compatible with the majority of websites. Which is contradictory. IE8 is compatible with "more" websites BECAUSE of the lack of Web Standards. Site developers for years have had to go against standards to have their sites appear properly with IE...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:39 am 
FTP Access

Ambig wrote:
What I find funny is that they claim IE8 complies to Web Standards, yet they claim it is compatible with the majority of websites. Which is contradictory.

No, it's not. IE8 just doesn't do both at the same time :-P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:04 am 
FTP Access

Tilka wrote:
Ambig wrote:
What I find funny is that they claim IE8 complies to Web Standards, yet they claim it is compatible with the majority of websites. Which is contradictory.

No, it's not. IE8 just doesn't do both at the same time :-P

So, I end up with a part time compliant browser with IE8's compatibility mode? It boasts adherence to Web Standards, yet only when it feels like it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:30 am 
Donator

Wow. This is quite possibly the worst piece of marketing I've seen in years from such a big company... unless you want to count that guy that was talking about Forza Motorsport 3 at E3 this year, he completely ruined it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:28 am 
Internet Explorer and Web Standards?

Which version did they use? 8 doesnt use them.

PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:01 pm 
Donator

Someone else picked up on this: http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Taking_Mi ... E8__Myths_

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:32 pm 
To be honest, the faked image is correct :P

At security, Firefox is better of course, I dont know about Privacy, but I never find the "delete cookies" button in Internet Explorer, but always in Firefox..., Firefox is easy to use, Chrome is even easier.
I told about web standards already.

Firefox has a "Crash recovery feature", it just never appears because FF never crashes.

"Compatibility" is wrong too of course...

I guess the point "Manageability" is correct without Addons in firefox, but im not sure.

"Performance" is a total lie, I need about 35 sec. to start IE and then 20 to open the first website, everything is in "slow-motion" then.

PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:08 pm 
Donator

IE always loads up faster than Firefox for me but that's certainly not nearly enough to get me to switch. Chrome is apparently the leader when it comes to security. I have had Chrome crash on me quite often, Firefox occasionally crashes but I usually run the major beta/RC releases along with beta plugins so...the recovery feature works quite well!

I can make a full list of reasons I would use IE here.

1. It comes with Windows
2. Accelerators
3. It seems to fit into the theme of Windows better
4. It certainly seems faster than Firefox to me, but I have tons of add-ons loaded into Firefox.

I think IE8 was a huge update in all sorts of manners, I was considering switching back for a few months but I just couldn't do it. The non-availability of all the add-ons I use in Firefox (Firebug, ABP, Weave) and the lack of certain easy to use buttons for viewing/saving pictures and background pictures and other various things make it an inconvenience.

I have to admit that I've always hated the way Firefox handles downloads, I feel like I'm intelligent enough to handle them on my own and have wished that I could have some sort of add-on to make the downloads more like IE...the lack of a "Run" button when downloading executables is hugely annoying.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Made a Funny!        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Namronia wrote:
To be honest, the faked image is correct :P

At security, Firefox is better of course, I dont know about Privacy, but I never find the "delete cookies" button in Internet Explorer, but always in Firefox..., Firefox is easy to use, Chrome is even easier.
I told about web standards already.

Tools > Delete Web History > Check the options you want.

Top  Profile