BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 9h, 5m | CPU: 86% | MEM: 5453MB of 11686MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: don't I love windows?        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:00 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Erm, no!
Started of this morning, decided to attempt to use an active directory. Installed it -> restart go to my vista PC try and add the computer to the active directory / domain name and it wouldn't take it, so i removed the active directory -> restart. WTF?!? Every things gone from the desktop nothings working properly, mouse lagging like hell!
So I thought [censored] it reinstall.
Now im thinking is it worth trying server 08?

ADD: Now ive reinstalled on server 03 and a network virus has instantly hit it :@

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: don't I love windows?        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:02 pm 
Donator

You are likely on a different profile. You started out as User1, Joined the domain, became User1.Domain, unjoined the domain and became User1.000

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: don't I love windows?        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
People need to do a bit of research before creating a domain (Just open the help files in windows, it has plenty of information).

Active Directory does the following:

1) It ''upgrades'' and Server to a domain controller
2) Removes the local user account

After you remove it the following is done:

1) The domain admin account is deleted as well as other domain related users and groups
2) A New user called Administrator is created (NEW! not the old one).

A small tutorial for setting up an domain (This is based on a small test network without any DNS that is active).

1) Install Windows Server 2003
    2) After installation, set the Network Connection to an STATIC IP and NO DNS
    3) Run DCPROMO.EXE
    4) Answer to the questions, and select NO, JUST INSTALL AND CONFIGURE DNS ON THIS COMPUTER when it asks for a DNS, to use the other option you need to set some things on the other DNS, but a router with DNS is mostly impossible to configure.
    5) Restart
    6) Log in, and check the DNS server setting in the LAN connection and if it is set to 127.0.0.1 or the IP from this server.
    7) In the Active Directory create a USER with you're settings.
    6) Go to you're Vista Machine
    7) Set the Network Connection on DHCP (if you have an DHCP) otherwise a STATIC IP and the DNS to the domain controller, otherwise it cannot find the domain controller
    8) Join the domain
    9) Reboot and done!, log in as DOMAIN\Administrator or DOMAIN\User.
    Remember this will create a new User account on the computer, it is not like all you're settings are taken over from you're local account.
    To log-in locally, user MACHINENAME\USERNAME.

This is an example of a test domain, it is set-up in 1~2 hours, including installation of machines.
Set it up in VMWare or Virtual PC or other VM software and set it up until it works and then create a new domain.

A domain is actually not used in a home environment and is not meant to be.

EDIT: This tutorial is not complety telling every dialog you will encounter, but based on this you WILL be setting up an domain on Server 2003.

I have created about 15 different domain now, but still this is just the top of what you can do, you can do much more.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: don't I love windows?        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:25 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm going to run my Domain controller on a VM, and im just setting everything back up now.
Do you think server 08 is worth a shot? I'm unsure if windows vista will work on server 03 active directory :S

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: don't I love windows?        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Toshua123 wrote:
I'm going to run my Domain controller on a VM, and im just setting everything back up now.
Do you think server 08 is worth a shot? I'm unsure if windows vista will work on server 03 active directory :S

I think it will work, Active Directory doesn't look at the specific computer or OS, you can join several machines, even NT 4 ones.

But Server 2008 is different then 2003.

If you want the one that looks like the 2003 Active Directory, use the "Active Directory DOMAIN SERVICES", after installing it, you must manually run DCPROMO.exe (you can launch it from the Installation Results page in the wizard, otherwise use Start -> Run.

Basically, it is the wizard if you run dcpromo on 2003.
But read the dialogs carefully and think about what you select it can be tricky sometime, but after you have done it 2, 3 times, it becomes natural to you installing it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: don't I love windows?        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
DjRob wrote:
People need to do a bit of research before creating a domain (Just open the help files in windows, it has plenty of information).

Active Directory does the following:

1) It ''upgrades'' and Server to a domain controller
2) Removes the local user account

After you remove it the following is done:

1) The domain admin account is deleted as well as other domain related users and groups
2) A New user called Administrator is created (NEW! not the old one).

A small tutorial for setting up an domain (This is based on a small test network without any DNS that is active).

1) Install Windows Server 2003
    2) After installation, set the Network Connection to an STATIC IP and NO DNS
    3) Run DCPROMO.EXE
    4) Answer to the questions, and select NO, JUST INSTALL AND CONFIGURE DNS ON THIS COMPUTER when it asks for a DNS, to use the other option you need to set some things on the other DNS, but a router with DNS is mostly impossible to configure.
    5) Restart
    6) Log in, and check the DNS server setting in the LAN connection and if it is set to 127.0.0.1 or the IP from this server.
    7) In the Active Directory create a USER with you're settings.
    6) Go to you're Vista Machine
    7) Set the Network Connection on DHCP (if you have an DHCP) otherwise a STATIC IP and the DNS to the domain controller, otherwise it cannot find the domain controller
    8) Join the domain
    9) Reboot and done!, log in as DOMAIN\Administrator or DOMAIN\User.
    Remember this will create a new User account on the computer, it is not like all you're settings are taken over from you're local account.
    To log-in locally, user MACHINENAME\USERNAME.

This is an example of a test domain, it is set-up in 1~2 hours, including installation of machines.
Set it up in VMWare or Virtual PC or other VM software and set it up until it works and then create a new domain.

A domain is actually not used in a home environment and is not meant to be.

EDIT: This tutorial is not complety telling every dialog you will encounter, but based on this you WILL be setting up an domain on Server 2003.

I have created about 15 different domain now, but still this is just the top of what you can do, you can do much more.

I've got to make a note of this, 'cause I'd like to set up a small domain at home, mainly so that I can say I have.

I'd love to do it with NT 3.1 :D.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: don't I love windows?        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
For NT 3.1 / 3.5 / 3.51 / 4.0, it is a bit different because the did not contain active directory.
But it a nice challange to set it up.

I'll suggest to run a Server 2003 Environment first and getting used to domain and then setting up older domains.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: don't I love windows?        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
2000 Server domains upwards are completely compatible with Vista and 7.
I've been running a domain at home since December, starting off as a 2000-level domain on Server 03, now as a 2003-level domain on Server 08. Server 03 and Server 08 are very different to administrate, and I'd say it's certainly beneficial to learn both, probably with Server 03 first because it exposes you to the options more than Server 08 does, which has much prettier and much easier task panels.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: don't I love windows?        Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
DjRob wrote:
For NT 3.1 / 3.5 / 3.51 / 4.0, it is a bit different because the did not contain active directory.
But it a nice challange to set it up.

I'll suggest to run a Server 2003 Environment first and getting used to domain and then setting up older domains.

I have always prefered Server 2008 :P

Top  Profile  WWW