BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 1h, 23m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5750MB of 11073MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:21 am 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Some of you should at least recognize my name.
And some of you will recognize me as the guy who wrote a large amount of ClassicBeta's Mac section when that wiki existed.
And some of you recognize me as the odd little 14 year old with nothing better to do than conjure corny responses to the "Poster Above Me" thread and adding obscene amounts of question marks to topic descriptors.

And here I am, 4 years down the line, and my how things have changed. My my.

So, mostly out of what for here is late night boredom, I shall spin you a poetic weave of my life, or just tell you what's up, whatever you want, choose your own adventure. Oh and I like writing my thoughts down. You are now my personal journal.

Well, you all now know me as Gobbo, I assume only one other pseudonym on this magical internet at this point, and as a matter of fact this is the one place I use this one. I shall not share the other, however, due to the small fact that said other pseudonym lives a life of lies necessary for the internet cesspool it is responsible for. Although some of the more keen eyed folk may be quick to figure it out, I kindly ask you please have a nice cup of shut the bloop up. (Isn't censorship grand?) Why do you get the truth? Well, because I like you. So here goes.

I'm an Oklahoma native (place sucks, don't go there, education system is terrible, underfunded and so on. Also hicks.). I spent the first 12 years of my life in the captivity of what I now realize was a terrible place to live. My father's job took my family to Houston for a measly year and a half. I was a bit of a social outcast there, being the gangly bespectacled nerd I was. I believe in my stay I made one fair-weather friend, and in all honesty he was a tremendous [censored]. (If that word is against forum policy feel free to censor, "swearing" is a bit vague) As such I quickly fled to the magical wonders of the internet and this magical thing called a "message board". I was but 12 years old, and an advanced Linux user ('from scratch even) when I joined OSBA, in search of the mythical Longhorn. I never much really got into the beta collecting business (although OSBA did foster a shortlived use of BeOS 5 PE as my primary OS. Then I realized it didn't work very well at all). Anyway, backtracking a bit, I didn't fit in well at my school, nerdy kid, and so on. The place was dominated by the middle-upper class "got everything they wanted" type kids and every last one of them owned some sort of skating device. I was just an average Joe, really. I also became a Mac user during this time.

After the year and a half long stint in Houston, we were again relocated to generic Burleson, TX. This dropped me in with the lower-middle class, a group I found myself more compatible with since they're a bit more grateful for things and don't rank as high on the pretentious jerk scale. Things ran smoothly, and I continued my stay at OSBA, eventually writing up a great deal of ClassicBeta's Apple section, until it closed, and then I dissolved back into the real world mostly, no longer needing the lonely nerd cybercrutch of days gone by. Although these smooth runnings were not long-lived. Late into 2007, I met someone who would end up turning my life into a gigantic mess, through no fault of her own. (I'm going to avoid using our names here, just because its kind of personal, but you should still be able to figure out what's going on. I mean really, if you can't you'd have to be some sort of idiot.). Anyway, this girl and I developed a burgeoning friendship. She garnered her gender-atypical level headedness from simply not caring at all, and a disdain for drama. Anyway, come the start of 2008, an event occurred which has probably permanently changed the face of both of our lives, and her now ex-boyfriend's. Since there's no real effective sugar coating/metaphor I can use here to make the exact circumstances here any less terrible, I'm just going to start a new paragraph for it.

She was raped. I mean, I dunno how graphic the rules will let me be here, (kids may want to turn back now) but basically she was like "no" and she turned to leave, and he got a lucky shot to the back of her head which left her out cold, and well, he got what he was after. The moron even went to the length of re-dressing her to make it appear as if she simply passed out on the couch, because she's totally not going to notice the knot on her head, or you know, what he left behind. Needless to say she was more than livid when she awakened, and well, I'll save you the details but he's now "sterile-by-foot". And the only joke there is in the phrasing. She was not quite 17 at the time, and the offender landed himself a hefty prison sentence. And a few weeks down the line, she dropped the metaphorical "Fat Man" set to obliterate all I once considered normal. (New paragraph go!)

She was pregnant. Now the simple solution in this case, especially given the circumstances would be a first-trimester termination, note that abortion something I ordinarily endorse, nor oppose, its really grey area, imo. (Don't turn this thread into a discussion on the topic, please, and I ask any mod seeing it turn into such in a negative fashion deal with it) She however, on her morals, declined, a move I did not agree with, but supported her through, secretly, because....

My parents decided that for being (DUN. DUN. DUUUUUUN.) "teen pregnant" she was instantaneously a terrible whore of girl (again, censor me if you need to, swearing is vague, sorry if I'm being offensive to anyone, really.), even though she's merely the victim of a very heinous crime. Their dissatisfaction by my choice to help a friend in need (all her other "friends" left her at this point, I was literally all she had other than her dad, her mom had died only a few years before) combined with my inability to do the wrong thing and leave her to take care of herself led them to expel me from their home last September. I had nowhere else to go, so I stayed with her family, much to the disdain of my parents who wondered why I would do such a thing as move in with someone who would readily accept me when my family decided they wanted me gone, and wanted me to stop though they wouldn't have me back. (At 17 I could have made the law force them to, but I'd be turning 18 in 3 months, and the girl would in 5, so I left well enough alone) She had her child, and within a few weeks was back to her normal size, a diminutive 4'10'' and 86lbs. We now live alone, in a little one room apartment near TCU in Fort Worth, taking care of what we consider "our" boy on me stocking shelves, pushing carts around and otherwise being the department store whipping boy for 40 hours a week during the summer, 20 during the school year and her being a shift leader at Sonic full-time (she graduated early via the alternate campus, and yes its a real high school diploma, no GED silliness here, no offense to anyone here who may possess one).

Luckily her dad can provide us with free child care when neither of us can be at home, and though I'm 18 I have a year of high school yet to finish (yay rural oklahoma trialing "Pre-1st" grade between Kindergarten and 1st). And in such a small place on such limited means its really hard, even with the financial support her father so generously gives us. But even with these difficulties, I've found someone I can be with (d'awww, ain't lovin' just the cutest thing), and even here in the working/lower class, I think its the happiest I've been. I mean obviously we're not too terribly bad off, since I'm here on the internet and play on Xbox Live in my spare time, and so does she, but its about the only monthly service we pay for. My parents never turned off my cell phone (mostly because I, rather deviously, locked them into an iPhone contract (the phone itself I personally purchased) when things started getting tense (which I realize wasn't exactly the right thing to do), and hers is prepaid.

And as an additional factoid, when we both have free time, she's a guitarist, and I'm a bassist or a drummer, which provides an occasional small supplementary income, which I like to call "baby food that isn't "Great Value". I don't think he knows the difference, but its the principle of the thing.

-
Well that quite the novel wasn't it? And you're probably wondering why I shared this with you, or we rather, she gave some input as to what I should share. I just feel like someone out there in this world should know, and I'm just more than a bit curious as to what the public at large in the rest of the world (ie: Not Texas, land of the conservatives who hate you for having kissed anyone out of marriage.) *submit button go!*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:17 am 
Donator

Hey there, welcome (back, in a way) to the forums, its good to have you here.

(I've read over your post several times and have been trying to think of a response for almost 15 minutes now, this was the best I could come up with...)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Welcome back. I don't remember you from before, but I read your post and feel for you and her. There isn't really any other way I can say it, so I'll just say it like that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:04 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Welcome back, regardless of the fact that I've never seen you before.

Growing up happens pretty fast, doesn't it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:12 am 
Donator

Gobbo wrote:
(ie: Not Texas, land of the conservatives who hate you for having kissed anyone out of marriage.)

Its not pre-marital kissing thats the problem, its dancing. Dancing leads to horrible, un-godly acts.

I gotta say I respect/admire the way the two of you are raising the little boy together.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:22 am 
Donator

Hi from one of the many people who never was on OSBA. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:55 pm 
Donator

happy dude wrote:

Same From me. (I'm less than a year!)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:42 am 
FTP Access

Well now...haven't seen this name in a long time...I'm ddrmaxromance, one of the past mods from OSBA. It's a blessing to see old faces return and am glad to see you have joined the newer community! :) But my, after reading bits [technical pun there] and pieces of your post, it's strange how people have progressed overtime. All of your stories and technical explorations are welcome here. See you around!

EDIT: Fixed name.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Last edited by ddrmaxromance on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:34 am 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Oh hey ddr, nice to see you, I nearly excreted a brick at a few of the familiar names around this place, pr0gram, etc...

And thanks for the support from the rest of everyone, and as Alpha-Critik noted, growing up can indeed happen fast, and be a bumpy ride, especially if it leads you down the non-standard road for people around you like it did us. And its good to be back. Oh and an ex-OSBA tag thing would be cool.

Just saying. :P

...and maybe I'll get around to sharing pictures one of these days.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
zamadatix wrote:
happy dude wrote:

Same From me. (I'm less than a year!)

Same from me too! I only been around for 10 months... And I got to say after reading that long journal it reminded me how life gives you the test before the lesson, and despite what has happened to you I think you did well

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:28 am 
Donator

Same from me here. Must have been hard for you what happened.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:27 pm 
Hey, I remember OSBA! I used to operate servers there. I found this place the other day searching for a beta.

PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
damn, man!

nice to meet you and i hope to see you around more often. keep your chin up mate and without sounding to "canned" or "Cliche" good things come to those who wait, the best part of it all is that you have each other and with that alone you will be able to live/survive anything together!

i can relate to a lot of your post!

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Story of an OSBA Expat        Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win8
That is quite hard past you and her had. But good luck in future. :)

Oh and also Hi from me also (I was also a member of OSBA, but I was not one of those active ones, but I was there quite a time.). :P

Top  Profile