BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 8h, 12m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 4011MB of 10245MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: [HELP] Dell With No PS/2 Ports, Keyboard/Mouse Problem        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:01 am 
Donator

I brought this Dell home to work on as I couldn't deal with the 40kbps dial-up where it was.

I get it here and it's one without PS/2 ports, which isn't a problem. Except that someone has done something to this Windows install so that no matter what mouse/keyboard I plug in the Add New Hardware wizard pops up. I can't finish the wizard without a keyboard/mouse. There is no legacy USB keyboard support in the BIOS.

I've run out of ideas, any suggestions?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP] Dell With No PS/2 Ports, Keyboard/Mouse Problem        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Reset the CMOS. Pop the case, and move the CMOS jumper to reset for a few minutes. That might help.

Hopefully this isn't a corporate system, if it is, leave it alone and call IT.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP] Dell With No PS/2 Ports, Keyboard/Mouse Problem        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:21 am 
Donator

Alright, I figured out that the keyboards/mice weren't what was making the Add New Hardware wizard run, but the different monitor. So leaving the monitor unplugged until Windows boots has solved that problem. The wizard still runs no matter what keyboard/mouse I plug into it after that. :?

It's like someone has gone through and deleted all the locally stored drivers that weren't in use.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP] Dell With No PS/2 Ports, Keyboard/Mouse Problem        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 am 
Donator

Well, this is absolute [censored]. :x

I'm about to reinstall Windows because I can't get the keyboard/mouse to work. This is so ridiculous.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP] Dell With No PS/2 Ports, Keyboard/Mouse Problem        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:10 am 
Donator

Brainstorming, not all that helpful mostly common sense ideas:
-If the PC has a CD drive, perhaps an automated install disk so you dont need a mouse/keyboard... But then you'd need a keyboard to change the boot order...
-Take out the HD and hook it up to another machine, re-image it, replace the drivers or whatever...
-Crawl into a corner, into the foetal position, and cry until its fixes itself...

Sorry I can't think of anything more helpfull...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP] Dell With No PS/2 Ports, Keyboard/Mouse Problem        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:14 am 
Donator

J.Byrne wrote:
-Crawl into a corner, into the foetal position, and cry until its fixes itself...

I tried that for a few hours but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I finally broke down and started doing a repair install of XP. The keyboard works fine until you actually boot into Windows, so it has to be something with Windows. Aside from that there are various other random things which it will hopefully fix, then I won't even have to do anything.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP] Dell With No PS/2 Ports, Keyboard/Mouse Problem        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:00 am 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
http://sewelldirect.com/USB-20-and-PS2- ... medium=cse

Something like this may help your problem, sort of a last-ditch sort of thing though unless you don't mind blowing $15 for some archaic connectors.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP] Dell With No PS/2 Ports, Keyboard/Mouse Problem        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:02 am 
Donator

Gobbo wrote:
http://sewelldirect.com/USB-20-and-PS2-PCI-Combo-Card_specs.asp?source=froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cse

Something like this may help your problem, sort of a last-ditch sort of thing though unless you don't mind blowing $15 for some archaic connectors.

Except that Windows wouldn't install drivers for that either. I wouldn't install drivers for hardware it was supposed to support OOB.

The repair install fixed everything.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP] Dell With No PS/2 Ports, Keyboard/Mouse Problem        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
QuiescentWonder wrote:
Alright, I figured out that the keyboards/mice weren't what was making the Add New Hardware wizard run, but the different monitor. So leaving the monitor unplugged until Windows boots has solved that problem. The wizard still runs no matter what keyboard/mouse I plug into it after that. :?

It's like someone has gone through and deleted all the locally stored drivers that weren't in use.

Which OS is it running? Can't you reinstall it to put the drivers back?

Top  Profile