BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 21h, 50m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5681MB of 10637MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:43 am 
Donator

Besides netbooks, who here uses the Intel Atom processor in daily use?

I've thought of three possible uses for them

- file server
- media boxen (mixed with a decent gfx card)
- VoIP server (although it can probably handle only 2 calls at a time)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:35 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I use it in my Netbook and I do use it for VoIP via Skype, and it handles that with just a few percent processor usage, so its fairly good at that.

For a file server I guess it would do well also since most of the processor usage would be for the network side of things, and with a decent NIC that would be offloaded to the NIC's processor.

For a media box (as in a media center box I take it?) the Atom won't do that well, as its not very powerful and struggles to decode HD video. If you have a half decent graphics card then the software can offload most of the decoding to that and it gives the Atom a hand but even then its been known to struggle in some tests.

Being honest, you'd be better off with a mid range Pentium Dual Core, since they are fairly low power usage as well. No where near the Atom of course, but then no standard processors are.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
windows 7
The atom is not that bad really, i have a single core atom 230 in a mini itx htpc box and it works suprisingly well.

If u use coreavc + ac3filter it can run 720p with 5.1 ac3 or even dts without a problem.
I have around 70-85% Load on 720p x264 videos.

Last edited by Schneida on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:27 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Remember 720p is not full HD, so that doesn't quite count :P

But, I suppose it depends what quality you're happy with.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
windows 7
Andy wrote:
Remember 720p is not full HD, so that doesn't quite count :P

But, I suppose it depends what quality you're happy with.

True, not full hd.

But still HD so it counts! :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:09 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
For a file server I guess it would do well also since most of the processor usage would be for the network side of things, and with a decent NIC that would be offloaded to the NIC's processor.

I have seen "gaming" NIC's in the last year or two that do all the work themselves, kind of like a graphics card

Andy wrote:
For a media box (as in a media center box I take it?) the Atom won't do that well, as its not very powerful and struggles to decode HD video. If you have a half decent graphics card then the software can offload most of the decoding to that and it gives the Atom a hand but even then its been known to struggle in some tests.

In theory an Atom + good graphics card can do it, but I agree with your comment on getting at least a Pentium Dual Core.

Still, I find the Atom a "powerful" processor with little power consumption, in comparison to VIA processors and they could actually be put to use in "practical" applications.

We'll see what the next few years hold for us, eh

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64
It's more than adequate to run Win Home Server. I use one in a fanless chassis. Temps (with that godawful 945) reach no more than 50C (and thats constantly running F@H).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:03 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I use it to watch videos with a PCI graphics card - works well @ 1650x1200.

Although - its bad for many flash games.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:53 am 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
- media boxen (mixed with a decent gfx card)
- VoIP server (although it can probably handle only 2 calls at a time)

From what I've read you can play some 1080p videos, it just depends on the codec.

Also, I hardly have any experience with VoIP but I find it hard to believe that it would only be able to handle two open lines.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:54 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
QuiescentWonder wrote:
...it just depends on the codec.

And the video card. I can barely play standard definition on my Netbook let alone HD. I'm using an Intel GMA chipset of sorts. 945 I think it was.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:38 pm 
Donator

I thought all of the Atom systems had the same northbridge? At least the vast majority of them have the 945 chipset.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:53 pm 
FTP Access

I have an MSI Wind with an Intel Atom N270. It is currently running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7, and it's runs surprisingly well. I actually use it to play wow. You can't raid with it, but it is great for tethering to your phone, and hitting up wow while on long car trips. It's only really good for questing alone, anything more then like 3 people and it starts to lag.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:25 pm 
FTP Access

QuiescentWonder wrote:
I thought all of the Atom systems had the same northbridge? At least the vast majority of them have the 945 chipset.

Well, Nvidia is coming out and I believe is finalizing their Ion line. It uses an Nvidia northbridge that includes the MUCH more powerful 9400M in combination with the Atom processor. I've heard nothing but good things regarding it.

I personally won't consider a netbook until Ion comes out or something equivalent. The current chipset used in many netbooks is dreadfully old (the GMA950 which is what's used with the 945 chipset is over 3 years old).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win8
Well.., not about myself, but friend of mine used Intel Atom to create his Home Security system.
Personally, I don't have any devices with Atom processor (yet).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:14 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
What about using an Atom unit as a file server/backup server? I mean ive found an atom board doing RAID....
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165386
Or would it be best waiting a few month and seeing what pops up?
ADD: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152176 or would this do?

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Atom in daily use        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:18 pm 
Donator

Well.. just tried 3 VoIP calls from 2 softphones at the same time... went okay-ish, although the second time I tried that the calls backed up and timed out after 30 seconds with a call engaged tone. Then again, it wasn't entirely accurate:

- I was running 3CX, the Voip server on a WinFLP VM with 448MB of RAM on a Intel Atom 1.6Ghz with 1GB of DDR2, host os XP Home. 3CX's minimum requirements are a P4 and 1GB of RAM.

I'll try running Asterisk (linux PBX) on a VM, since it says it only needs a P3 and 128MB RAM... EDIT: thats the win port specs. I'll try that first

Top  Profile