BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 1h, 13m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 6081MB of 11374MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
What are the pros and cons to partitioning a HD? I wish to run a 400GB size OS, and use the rest for files.

-AC

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:24 am 
Donator

Nothing really, it's easier to reinstall if you store all your files on a separate partition because you don't need to worry about backing it all up. I used to do that but it's hard to find good amount of space for the OS partition. You'll want to have enough for temp files, updates and software installs but you won't want to have the partition so big that you're just wasting space.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:28 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
A good size for your boot partition is no less than 40gb, 80gb would do great and you can use the rest for your data.

As above, the best reason to parition is so you can format the boot partition without losing your files on your data partition. As a result you shouldn't store files on your boot partition that you want to keep incase the OS craps out and you have no way to get at those files.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:38 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
QuiescentWonder wrote:
Nothing really, it's easier to reinstall if you store all your files on a separate partition because you don't need to worry about backing it all up. I used to do that but it's hard to find good amount of space for the OS partition. You'll want to have enough for temp files, updates and software installs but you won't want to have the partition so big that you're just wasting space.

So, what you are saying is;

1. Install OS on built-in hard drive.
2. Use the external for files, apps etc?
OPTIONAL - 3. Possibly set up an FTP.
STUPID - 4. [...Stupid 4chan meme here...]

@Andy

I was thinking of getting an external 1TB to go with my 160GB laptop HD. I may also be getting another machine for proper gaming, instead of destroying my... "Legacy" with my laptop.

I was thinking of using XP as my main OS. Is this good for gaming and media? This is what I would be using it for primarily.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:56 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Depends on the system specs really, but XP will be a good choice either way, it just depends if you would prefer Vista or not.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:00 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Andy wrote:
Depends on the system specs really, but XP will be a good choice either way, it just depends if you would prefer Vista or not.

Offtopic Comment
XP and Vista Inspirat 2 is the best combination of software to OS ever. (Hence my sig.) Period. :D

I'd go for XP, because of compatibility issues. There is still some non-Vista software out there...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:07 am 
Donator

And since you've got a C2D with 4GB of RAM, you're going to miss out on performance and since you'll be using XP x86/32bit, you'll miss out on at least 1GB of RAM, as previously discussed.

Stick with Vista and use XP in a VM if you must

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:51 am 
Donator

Just go with Vista x64, XP x64 has crappy support, at least it did when I used it.

Also, I didn't realize what you were talking about with the external drive. USB is limited to ~30MBps, so files are going to load slower. So you'll want to install any apps, especially ones you use often, to your internal drive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:13 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
30MB/s is still fairly fast and will challenge a lot of older laptop drives as well, so I doubt you will see much performance difference.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:43 am 
Donator

A 160GB laptop drive can't be too old. You can run a quick little benchmark to get an idea of the difference in speed with http://www.hdtune.com/ or http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/in ... est=HdTach

I prefer HD Tune, HDTach hasn't been updated in ~5 years.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:50 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
That may be so but the spindle speed will be 5400rpm which slows transfer speeds down. I've never found any of my laptop drives particularly fast, they sometimes struggled with a 100Mbps network transfer (12.5MB/s) let alone 30MB/s.

Either way, if he's just storing files or running the odd application off it he won't notice the slow speeds.

Alpha-critik, you should also partition your laptop hard drive for the reasons listed above (not losing data when formatting etc) next time you reinstall your OS. Splitting it 50/50 should be plenty of space for any OS you're likely to install.

The other reason to partition is if you wanted to dual boot OS's, but I'd avoid that if you can since if you format the partition with the boot loader on you can't access either OS. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:33 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
they sometimes struggled with a 100Mbps network transfer (12.5MB/s)

Not trying to disagree, of course laptop HDDs are slower. That is about the speed 100 megabit Ethernet tops out at though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:38 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
It IS the speed it tops out at, I said it "barely" reaches that speed, meaning the drive is struggling to reach even that speed.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:57 am 
Donator

I misunderstood your post, I thought that you were saying that you couldn't transfer any faster than 12.5MBps over Ethernet, I see now that you were saying they couldn't keep up with that.

That must have been a very old drive.

The max on my four year old (5200 rpm) 80GB drive is ~40MBps and the burst rate is ~66MBps.

Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:58 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
It is a 120GB SATA 2.5" in my Acer laptop (the one with the broken screen backlight).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:59 am 
Donator

Must be software then.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:06 pm 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
Must be software then.

He's running XP...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Partitioning an external HD        Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:00 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
When I didn't have a Sata laptop, but did have a few laptop SataII disks (Don't ask why) I stored all my disk images and whatnot on it. This drive was able to transfer from my SataII main disk to my SataII laptop drive (WD Scorpio, 160gb, 5400rpm) at around 50-70mb per second. I was both sad and happy to see it go into my new laptop in order to make it run, but I am now able to just pop it out and still store data on it with my makeshift external HDD adapter and AHCI (thanks for that tip for a while back, andy)
I also have a 160gb external HDD and I have tested both FireWire and USB and I feel that something must be seriously wrong with my firewire controller if USB is 3 times faster (about 10mb per second transfer with FireWire, 30-50mb\second with USB (IDE drive inside)
My transfer speed between my internal IDE and my Sata is around 50 maxed.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]