BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 4h, 18m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 5728MB of 10970MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:19 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I just re-installed Windows 7, and it seems to not like me as much as it used to. It will startup all the way to the logon screen, but upon entering my password, it says "welcome" for about a second, then says "logging off" and brings be right back to the logon screen.
I can get into my account through safe mode, but I can't do much, it is about as limited as Windows 7 Starter edition (can't change much, but I did get alot of my software re-installed).
I have a feeling this has something to do with the way that I go about re-installing my PC, where I backup my folder from the "users" area, then when it is fully re-installed, I just copy and paste it back, selecting "yes to all" at the first prompt to do so.
I really don't want to have to go and re-install this all again, but if that is my only option, I will.
Any help is Greatly appreciated.
-pizza

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am 
FTP Access

That's weird - it sounds like the profile could be corrupt, especially with the copy/paste thing you're doing...try this: Boot into safe mode and go into your profile. Then, create a new user account and reboot into regular mode. Try and log in with the new user account. If that works, then your profile is shot, if not, it would seem Windows is shot. Let us know how that goes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:36 am 
FTP Access

alterbridge86 wrote:
That's weird - it sounds like the profile could be corrupt, especially with the copy/paste thing you're doing...try this: Boot into safe mode and go into your profile. Then, create a new user account and reboot into regular mode. Try and log in with the new user account. If that works, then your profile is shot, if not, it would seem Windows is shot. Let us know how that goes.

Or, I believe he can hit CTRL+ALT+DEL twice and login as an administrator and create his profile(s) again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:41 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
well... apparantly it is my profile... I don't want to have to dig through all of this and backup all my data the "clean" way (I would loose all my bookmarks, customizations and everything).
Is there any way that I could copy my stuff back safely?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:17 am 
Donator

That's what Windows Easy Transfer is for. It's located in the Start Menu under All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:30 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Windows Easy Transfer doesn't work with only one computer when you bork your install and have to backup your files with a Ubuntu disk (prolly shoulda mentioned that...) (not meaning to sound mean)
anyways, I deleted the old account, and am currently re-copying the files using a different method.

EDIT: FIXED! NTUSER.dll was to blame (I had replaced all but one the first time, this time I didn't replace any, and (vola) it worked!
now I just need some help getting some of these pesky desktop.ini files removed. (i'll start another thread, could be useful for more people)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:49 pm 
Can you tell me what build did you used while this problem was manifested ?

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:05 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Build 7100... but it turned out to be a broken GFX card molesting my system... since it broke 3 other windows installs that I had on other machines as soon as the drivers were installed...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:20 pm 
OK, thanks, I had problem at 7000. Boot screen loads, then black screen is shown after, so I had to remove Windows 7. I wouldn't install beta for a some time or I will wait final version...

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:08 pm 
FTP Access

djolex wrote:
OK, thanks, I had problem at 7000. Boot screen loads, then black screen is shown after, so I had to remove Windows 7. I wouldn't install beta for a some time or I will wait final version...

After 1st August, Windows 7 beta doesn't work anymore. You have to turn to RC or RTM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:15 pm 
Yes, but I categorize RC as a beta release, so it come to the same :D . When I think better, I will wait for final version ^^

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:24 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
djolex wrote:
When I think better, I will wait for final version ^^

RTM leaked a few weeks ago... you can already grab it off Technet and MSDN, and you can find it on less legit sites than this also...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Will not let me logon        Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:41 pm 
OK, thank you for the info ( I was at the sea, and my only occupation is Longhorn and I didn't knew so much about Win 7, but ok, now I know :D LOL )