BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 18h, 39m | CPU: 23% | MEM: 5742MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Dell Inspiron 1501 battery errors        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:42 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I have a Dell Insprion 1501 that was gifted to me a few days ago, and it has a nasty battery problem (see pic below)
The picture should say most of it, I have tried discharging it and recharging it, and it still acts up...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 1501 battery errors        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:54 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Thats what a used battery looks like. You think that's bad you should see my acer battery. Designed is about 65000, fully charged is 6300. Its very very old and very very worn. Its not a glitch, its just how li-ion batteries display their capacity as they get used and through their charge cycles, and lose some capacity each time.

EDIT: Wait, it seems I mis-read the image.

Looks like its just mis-reporting its designed capacity. It shouldn't be a problem, as its displaying a fairly high capacity already which will almost certainly be near what it was designed for.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 1501 battery errors        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:27 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I know the pain of bad batteries... my Inspiron 8200 says it can handle about 8300 instead of the designed capicity of 66000, but if i start it up after it has hit 0%, i can force another hour out of it... which makes me wonder if the cells actually die, or if the chip inside says that the cells have died.

The pain with this battery is that it will go into standby when it hits 7% and that happens to be the precentage when it is fully charged, so if i unplug it after it is "fully" charged, it will immediately standby and i had (got more ram, doesn't take as long anymore) to wait for it to hibernate and then restart it... (I also changed it from hibernate to standby)...

any way that i can reset that chip inside? the little lights on the battery say full when i push the buttom...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 1501 battery errors        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:37 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Turn off all the alarms so it won't standby/hibernate itself and just run it till the laptop turns off, then recharge it and see how it goes. Recalibration can only go as far as running it down till it turns off then charging up again sadly. Besides that, the battery circuitry is goosed.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 1501 battery errors        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:21 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I'm kinda hoping that someone will pipe up with something along the lines of "I cracked open my 1501 battery and..." or something like that...
or maybe someone has a battery to replace mine that they would be willing to sell? (Hint: the e1501, Vostro 1000 and many other batteries are identical)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM