BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 14h, 50m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 5739MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:44 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

My T-Mobile huawei e160 modem won't switch to modem mode, no matter how many times I reinstall it, or unplug and plug it back in. I worked fine on Windows XP and Windows 7 but it won't work on my NetBook under Vista. Does anyone know how to force it to go into modem mode? Really would like it working.

Thanks in advance.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
They all blow
Hmm, strange. I've had some trouble with the software previously too.
A far fetch, but Is "telephony" service enabled ? (Handles dialup, which the huawei uses).
Also have a look on how the actual modem is detected, does it detect the hardware at all ? (remove modem driver itself for reinstall, not just software or the connection).

I happen to have that same e160, Does your bundle with Mobile partner or the alternate software? Also try upgrading. (Mine comes with a simple window with a huge connect button)
I can try to supply the software when I get access to it again, might contain newer drivers too. My software has autoupdate to it.
Usb driver stuff, try to change COM ports for the modem to avoid conflicts.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9880/42504475tn0.png MOBILE PARTNER
http://www.elisa.fi/elisa/docimages/doc/tuki_mobiili/automaattinen.JPG SIMPLIFIED ALTERNATIVE

The alternative that I have has some basic diagnostic tools to help the configuration too.

Also make a quick test with something like the newest ubuntu, it supports that modem out of the box very well. But since you have tested it with XP / 7, I doubt that would help much.
But just to narrow the options to OS specific problems, narrowing down helps a lot even if it seems stupid sometimes.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:07 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
It's more like the first software, its branded by T-Mobile. It detects the USB Mass Storage device (The CD drive it puts on for the software) but it doesn't enable the modem side of the stick after installing the software. I can't find anything on Google for people with the same issue either.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:44 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I've just solved this issue... and its so stupid. I had auto-play disabled. I thought, hold on, it always puts the Mass Storage Device on first, auto runs then disappears and the modem enables. So I re-enabled auto-run and low and behold it worked first time! What a crap design. I bloody hate auto-run as well and now I have to keep it enabled.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
You could always manually run the app on the virtual cd.

Also if you're with t-mobile, when you use it do you ever get it hanging on 'Authenticating'. Tried using it last night and no matter how many times I rebooted, it would not get past authenticating. :/

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:13 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I tried that, it doesn't work. It has to auto-run for some reason :S Anyway its sorted now :)

I have had it hang before, that generally happens when it has a bad or no signal. At least that's the only times its happened to me since I got it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:03 pm 
Donator

At least with Sprint and their Sierra Wireless cards you can just not use the software and create a new dial-up connection using the number #777, no username and no password. It took me a while of screwing around with the connection settings to get the pages loading fast but it's much better than using their software unless you like the option that compresses the images to make them load faster.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:07 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
You can with mine as well and that's how I connect now, but you have to have installed the software to get the driver installed, and even then it has to go into modem mode or it can't use that dial up connection you created...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:16 pm 
Donator

I know... you said that you had it sorted out, I thought you just might like to know. :? ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:16 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I know that, it wasn't a criticism, it was a statement :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
They all blow
Yeah the huawei installation style is a little wierd, kind of how U3 works with memory sticks.
First stage will not progress if drivers are not installed (limited to mass storage, with CD emulation like in U3)
Second stage is actually the device itself. I don't know what commands it supplies to enable this (maybe it automatically searched for installation?)

Good to know that you got it working anyway :)
It's a real pain due to the automagic installation routine, but it is nice for most dummies. You can just plug it in and you will have it ready for usage automatically without button presses.
Ubuntu uses the modem without any installation at all, so it must be possible to enable it manually with some pokes.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:31 am 
Donator

I like the way Ubuntu handles OTA broadband modems, it couldn't possibly get any simpler.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:19 am 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
words

Blah, CDMA. A lot of 3G cards can do that nowadays, my Merlin XU870 HSPDA modem can

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:35 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Andy wrote:
I have had it hang before, that generally happens when it has a bad or no signal. At least that's the only times its happened to me since I got it.

Odd. I'm in full HDSPA signal, and it just hangs. I've not tried in OSX if this happens yet.

Offtopic Comment
(Slightly Offtopic)T-Mobile Web'n'Walk Manager design in Vista/7 is... eugh! Buggy as well

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:41 am 
Donator

Rioter wrote:
Andy wrote:

Odd. I'm in full HDSPA signal, and it just hangs. I've not tried in OSX if this happens yet.

Offtopic Comment
(Slightly Offtopic)T-Mobile Web'n'Walk Manager design in Vista/7 is... eugh! Buggy as well

Try using the Huawei software rather than branded software... E160 [LINK!]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:36 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
You know I actually looked all over for that software after recommendations. I don't need it now tho, I use a Windows dial-up style connection just fine. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Just installed it to see the differences, its just the same as the t-mobile software except its branded for t-mobile instead...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 pm 
FTP Access

I'm going to add this here as it's a very similar issue...

We recently got some HUAWEI 3G USB dongles on the BT Mobile network at work, which we can borrow when we have to go away. However, I cannot get the thing to work on Vista x64 at all, installing the BT software package for them eventually got me to the point of the 3G Modem showing up in Device Manager as installed, so the x64 drivers are working, but then the BT Access Manager just says no mobile device and no connections available when you fire it up (I tried running the AutoRun.exe program on the mass storage part of the dongle; this fires up BT Access Manager). The only way I have been able to get it to work is to connect it to a VMware machine with 32-bit XP inside it, but this is less than ideal.

I've therefore concluded that this problem is happening because BT's craptastic Access Manager application does not detect the modem on x64, despite the drivers installing fine (the instruction leaflet with them does specify 32-bit, so maybe it does take good old BT more than 2 years to support modern platforms, I guess they're too busy with their spyware and the rest of it... :P). Therefore, does anyone know how to connect with a 3G dongle using what is built into Vista rather than BT's craptacular Access Manager? I've looked all around for this and although I can find sets of settings like the following:

Quote:
BT Mobile
Internet
APN: btmobile.bt.com
IP address: 212.183.137.12
Username: bt
Password: bt
URL: http://wap.btmw.net

there is nowhere in Windows to enter APNs and the like, only phone numbers for old-style dial-up connections! :x Mac OS X on the other hand allowed me to install some HUAWEI drivers and then all the connection settings can be entered in its Network preference pane and no BT software is needed, all very straightforward, but I don't have OS X on my laptop alongside Vista as the hard drive is a bit small. Any ideas anyone? :) (I'll give the program linked to above a try if not, but ideally it would be possible using just Windows)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:23 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2, since my "quality" Acer charger broke after 9 months, I can't go fiddling with my 3G modem right now. Have you tried making a dialup connection though? _sometimes_ it works.

Also, could you please confirm what modem you have, if its not an e160 I can get you other software.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:13 am 
Donator

I've never dealt with BT Mobile, it doesn't exist around here. From my experience, even with different carriers in this area is to create a new dial-up connection, have it dial #777 and leave the username and password fields blank. Enable hardware compression and have it automatically dial when you open the connection. If that doesn't work then perhaps using bt as the username and password might?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:36 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I'm currently using a dial-up style connection since the software automatically creates it. I just stopped using the software and started using that instead. However I have no idea how I would create one. All I know is it dials *99# as the number and has no user/pass to speak of.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm 
Donator

You can create a new dial-up connection from the Network and Sharing Center in both Vista and Windows 7. Just select Setup a new connection or network, the process is pretty straight forward.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:45 pm 
FTP Access

Well I eventually got it working on Vista x64 with the BT software after about two days of fiddling about - not sure what the one thing I did that made it work was now I tried so many different things! It does then create a Dial-Up connection the first time you successfully connect with the BT software, but for some reason that doesn't seem to work by itself, so you still have to use the nasty BT stuff - one of the things the BT program says when connecting is "setting APN" and there is nowhere in the Dial-Up connection that it creates where you can enter an APN, whereas when I did it on OS X there is a field there for APN, so maybe the BT software is doing some extra as well as just using that connection. Oh well, at least it's working now, it's a nice thing to have! :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3g modem won't switch to modem mode on Vista        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:48 pm 
Donator

I was curious, because I didn't even know what APN was, so I went searching and almost immediately came across this: http://www.nowsms.com/beta5/DialUpGPRS.htm

Top  Profile