BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 54d, 17h, 29m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 6157MB of 10910MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Files Over Miles        Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:45 pm 
Donator

Link first --> http://www.filesovermiles.com/

In short allows you to do p2p filesharing by giving the person on the other end the link generated, just don't leave the page until its finished.

Where I found it: http://www.lifehacker.com

I thought the idea was pretty cool, what do you think?

Last edited by zamadatix on Sat May 30, 2009 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
7 Ultimate 64bit
ooohhhhh nice website :D

Much easier than rapidshare etc :)

Only one problem, the page has to stay open :(

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:53 am 
FTP Access

You've been able to do this for years using magnet links with azureus or ed2k links with emule. Personaly I'd plump for azurues and its built in trackerweb which can be password protected to allow only certain users access to the tracker as well as an auto generated webpage/server for folk to download torrents (there is no need for external sites, torrents are hosted by the client). Minimal setup requirement and perfect for small closed p2p groups.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:02 am 
Donator

yeah but this works at the library... or anywhere for that matter without doing any work but going to a site and the person doesn't need a torrent program installed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:28 am 
FTP Access

I'm not saying it doesnt have uses, but it's only good for small files that can be downloaded in a single session. For any sort of regular resumable transfers, a proper p2p setup would be more apt. Using bittorrent also means there is no restriction to the filesize limit, unlike this or other services like SkyDrive. Some torrent clients can be run from a thumbdrive so there is already portability.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:54 am 
Donator

OG wrote:
Using bittorrent also means there is no restriction to the filesize limit.

If you would read before you comment you would know there is no limit... since it does it direct.

Torrents do have their uses though. I dont just mean piracy before someone says it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:12 am 
FTP Access

I have read, otherwise I would not have stated that they had a filesize limit (albeit indirectly).

From their FAQ;

Quote:
What is the maximum size of a file that can be sent with FilesOverMiles?

Unfortunately, there is a limit on the maximum size of a file that can be sent between a sender and a recipient. This limit is only because FilesOverMiles is based on Adobe Flash Player that requires that the uploaded or downloaded file is stored entirely in the computer memory (RAM). As a consequence, a sender may upload only those files that are smaller than the memory available on his/her computer. In turn, a recipient may download only those files that are smaller than half of the memory available on his/her computer. Hopefully, upcoming versions of Adobe Flash Player will remove this limitation and then FilesOverMiles will have no file size limits.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:26 am 
Donator

Oops on my (and lifehackers) part ^^

I guess thats what they get for using Flash...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:42 am 
FTP Access

Well it shouldn't be that much of an issue on any modern computer, even if it's still running 32 bit as I can't see the service being used for files in the GB, and I think it would be impractical to even try. Its a bold move on their part really considering the alternatives available and also considering the lack of advertising or premium services, its not exactly a cash cow either. They even mention implimenting bittorrent, but that's already been done, (See BitLet.org) and the novelty of that wore off real quick. Good luck to them though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:00 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Its interesting nobody commented on the mechanics of torrents; their signature ability to transform all peers to hosts.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:44 pm 
This seems to be very good idea I found it to be very useful to send files to my freinds quickly

PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0 TS (gold)
I agree that it is brilliant. I was thinking of some way to implement a service for uploading to a server, and the file would only reside there for some brief amount of time, but this is much better.

I could use it for transferring things over IM, because Pidgin hasn't been working well with AIM transfers (AIM transfers are direct when they work, so are fast).

Perhaps an improvement that can be made here is to use a Java applet of some sort to provide the service. That doesn't actually seem terribly difficult to implement.

-Rich

68k Mac: Mac Portable 1989, 1MB RAM
Itanium: HP zx2000, Itanium 2 900MHz, 1GB. Server 2008 R2 IA64

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files Over Miles        Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:14 pm 
FTP Access

Nice website.

Surely the data (P2P) has to somewhere pass though a central server but not actually storing anything elsewhere?

Top  Profile