BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 20h, 56m | CPU: 74% | MEM: 6044MB of 10721MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:58 pm 
Donator

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an iPod Touch, and, seeing as you can get a 1st Generation 8GB second-hand for about £120, I am considering it, especially seeing as it is my birthday on Friday, but I have a few questions.

I heard you can play emulators (NES, GBA, etc.) on the iPod Touch. Can you still do it on the 1st Generation iPod Touch or do you have to have a 2nd Generation iPod Touch? Also, what are the major differences between the 1st Generation and the 2nd Generation iPod Touches?

I know the questions may sound silly, but I want to be sure before I spend £120 on one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
7 Ultimate 64bit
I think the one difference is the 2nd gen as a loud skeaker where as the first gen doesn't I think :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:51 pm 
FTP Access

The second generation also has a better processor that makes it a bit better for games. But I don't think apps are 1st or 2nd generation specific.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:56 pm 
FTP Access

You need iPhone/iPod Touch OS 2.0 installed for apps and the App Store, but most should have this installed by now as they have only limited functionality with OS 1.x - if you get one that hasn't been upgraded then Apple charge $10 for it for iPods or free for iPhones, but some Google work will probably save you the $10 if so.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:49 am 
Administrator

Software works well on all generations as long as you got a minimum firmware version of 2.0 (which includes Appstore). If you use jailbreak software then it's supported throughout all firmware versions (up to current 2.2.1).

As for generations, there are two generations of iPod Touch (vs three generations of iPhone):

1st gen: First model. 8, 16, 32GB (v1.1) sizes. 400Mhz ARM11 CPU.
2nd gen:: Same sizes as 1G, has external volume switch, loudspeaker, supports audio input through special headphones with microphone function. Bluetooth with v3.0 firmware. Faster CPU (533MHz) with ARM7 Jazelle acceleration. Has hardware for FM-radio but unsupported at the moment.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:10 am 
FTP Access

Aren't there just two iPhones too, unless you're counting the soon-to-be-released third one? The original iPhone with the silver back and EDGE-only connectivity, and the 3G one with the black back, released around the same time as the corresponding iPod Touch generation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:55 am 
Administrator

Yes, there are two released iPhones but I counted the third as well since it's already been verified to exist in both code and press.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:22 am 
Donator

I'm gonna buy a new 2G iPod Touch. Apparently you have to jailbreak it in order to run the emulators. I have read about it and the process looks easy.

EDIT: I got one! Yay! I decided to go for the 16GB one instead of the 8GB one. Within minutes I had that little running pineapple icon on the screen and now I'm downloading the emulators and stuff. Horray! :D

The first app I bought was iBeer. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:23 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Do be careful if you jailbreak it... My cousin bricked it doing that, and unbricking was not an easy task. Just in case you do brick your iPod...

Good luck!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:22 pm 
FTP Access

You cannot brick an iPod Touch.
It's technically impossible because the iPod Touch have a DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode :wink:
This mode is in the ROM of the iPod and cannot be removed, even if you restore / update the firmware.
Only iPhone can be bricked because when you restore / update a firmware it flash the baseband of the Phone.
If baseband is broken then iPhone is bricked 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPod Touch 1st Generation 8GB - Can you still get apps?        Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:48 pm 
Donator

The jailbreaking process went without a hitch, which is good. All I did was plug the iPod Touch in and ran the EXE file.

Top  Profile