BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 13h, 29m | CPU: 45% | MEM: 5921MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Hard Disk Drive RMAs        Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
Well, essentially I've got a failing seagate 320GB hdd in my sempron which I am considering RMAing. So what I want to know what peoples experiences are with RMAing faultly Hard Drives.
And I also want to know whether it's really worth my time and money to actually do so because I don't exactly have any packaging good enough by Seagate's standards to send the hdd back to them in and I can get another new Hard Disk Drive for about $69 so if it's anything costly its not really worth RMAing it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Hard Disk Drive RMAs        Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:06 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
RMAing is pretty easy. Just pack it well, it doens't have to be to their standards, it just has to be protected enough to stop it being damaged further in transit. A thick jiffy bag put into a cardboard box will do just fine. As for cost, it costs the postage and nothing more, and its always worth it if its failed within the warranty. I've RMA'ed several drives myself without issues. Just be aware it can take a few weeks turnaround from the date you send it off.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Hard Disk Drive RMAs        Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:59 am 
FTP Access

I just RMAed a Samsung hard drive, it had a mechanical fault at the end of the drive (hard to notice if it wasnt tested fully) and yet the next working day I got an email saying a new one had been sent, and the day after, received it! It cost about £4 to send it in a proper hdd box (I keep them when I buy new drives).

Unless you are not able to securely erase any private data from the drive, I would definitely recommend returning faulty drives.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Hard Disk Drive RMAs        Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:30 pm 
FTP Access

I've had to RMA both Maxtor and Seagate drives just in the last 6 months or so. Turnaround time was perhaps 5 days or so for either drive, and it is definitely worthwhile.

Top  Profile