BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 7h, 12m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 5994MB of 11129MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:05 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
I've set up my network using OpenDNS, and my shortcuts aren't working. This is because Firefox is instead searching for what I typed in the URL bar on either Google or Wikipedia... I've looked around on the Firefox support base, and I got nothing. Can you tell me how to disable this feature?

Thanks.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:32 pm 
Donator

It only does a search when what you typed in can't be resolved.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:09 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
I don't think you understand the shortcuts part. Or you didn't read my post properly... I have set my shortcuts so that when I type a certain string of characters, it acts as a shortcut(through the DNS service) to that website. For example...

When I type the word "beta" in my URL bar, the DNS service routes me directly to to Betaarchive.co.uk.

It isn't doing this anymore. Somehow, FF is using the search function instead. I just need to know how to disable it, then I can be on my way. :)

(I understand what you mean about the address not resolving, but when I type the URL in manually, it works just fine. So I know this is down to the search feature.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:24 pm 
FTP Access

When you add a website to your bookmarks and edit this bookmark afterwards you can give it a keyword. Not the tag, but a keyword. When you type this you get to the url directly. It's the same when you right click a search input bar and add this to your bookmarks with a keyword. Then you can type "<keyword> <search for...>" and then you directly get to the search results.
Please correct me when I'm wrong!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:13 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
sibbl wrote:
When you add a website to your bookmarks and edit this bookmark afterwards you can give it a keyword. Not the tag, but a keyword. When you type this you get to the url directly. It's the same when you right click a search input bar and add this to your bookmarks with a keyword. Then you can type "<keyword> <search for...>" and then you directly get to the search results.
Please correct me when I'm wrong!

This is nothing to do with bookmarks, Sib. Sorry, you are wrong, and I am correcting you.

Well, I looked further into the DNS side of things. Everything seemed fine. So I tested the shortcut to BA again. It worked. Don't ask me why. It just did. And I have no idea why, or how. I never made any changes to FF, or anything like that. Oh well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:26 pm 
Donator

Depending on what version of firefox it may look different but I think this was what you where looking for in the beginning. (bottom of the image where it says location bar)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:55 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
zamadatix wrote:
Depending on what version of firefox it may look different but I think this was what you where looking for in the beginning. (bottom of the image where it says location bar)

No, no and no again. I've fixed it now. Please stop posting unless you know what OpenDNS is.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:00 am 
Donator

My mistake, I thought you wanted to disable the bars features but got things working.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:27 am 
Donator

Alpha-Critik wrote:
No, no and no again. I've fixed it now. Please stop posting unless you know what OpenDNS is.

Being a complete ass won't get you any help, either

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:51 am 
FTP Access

Alpha-Critik wrote:
When I type the word "beta" in my URL bar, the DNS service routes me directly to to Betaarchive.co.uk.

Alpha-Critik wrote:
This is nothing to do with bookmarks, Sib. Sorry, you are wrong, and I am correcting you.

I tried it myself and it worked. I added a bookmark to betaarchive.co.uk in Firefox. Then I opened the bookmarks libraryand looked for the item. I clicked the "more" button to get to the keyword input and wrote "beta". Then I closed the library..
Now when I go to my URL input, type "beta" and click enter I directly get to betaarchive.co.uk. Isn't that the feature what you are looking for?!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:18 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
sibbl wrote:
Alpha-Critik wrote:

Alpha-Critik wrote:

I tried it myself and it worked. I added a bookmark to betaarchive.co.uk in Firefox. Then I opened the bookmarks libraryand looked for the item. I clicked the "more" button to get to the keyword input and wrote "beta". Then I closed the library..
Now when I go to my URL input, type "beta" and click enter I directly get to betaarchive.co.uk. Isn't that the feature what you are looking for?!

@Sibbl
Sib, this isn't anything to do with Bookmarks. Absolutely nothing to do with them, ok? I understand your method, and it does work, but this isn't what I am talking about. Go to OpenDNS.com, configure your router or your DNS settings, then configure some shortcuts. Then you will know what I mean. I'm not trying to lord it up over anyone, and I am NOT being an ass(intentionally). But it frustrates me when you go off topic like this... Don't worry though, it's just me. :)

Anyway, it doesn't matter now, so I want this topic locked before any arguments occur between me happy dude. I'm not a nice person to argue with because I can be quite the [censored].

@zamadatix
It's fine, really. I'm glad that you were trying to help.

@happy dude
Bite me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Disabling the In-built search for Firefox in the URL bar        Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:51 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Locked.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]