BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 50d, 14h, 25m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 6221MB of 11206MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: The woes of OS re-installation        Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:05 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
I've just had to re-install XP due to a virus destroying my FAT tables, my boot sector, and corrupting my hard drive.

The problem is... Re-installing and downloading all the crap that I had on it previously. "Back it up, then!" I hear you cry. Well, I can't back up programs that install themselves. Who keeps installer files anyway?

Is there any kind of program that will keep my files and programs intact after a re-install? Or am I just getting my hopes up?

Thanks in advance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The woes of OS re-installation        Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:09 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Its not possible in most cases since most programs write registry entries and/or configure to your current hardware setup, etc etc. Its not worth even trying to be honest. I keep installer files for most of my regular software, e.g. WinAmp, WinRAR, Photoshop, Office, FireFox, Messenger, NetSupport... And many others too but they're the main ones I use. I keep them on my server but nothing stops you keeping them on a USB drive or CD/DVD (CD/DVD would be better as thats read only, and can't be affected by a virus but you wouldn't be able to add to it unless you used sessions on the disk, and that can slow reading of the disk down if you have many sessions on one disk).

In short, the answer to your question is no.

Also I recommend you get an anti-virus software and don't visit or run files from untrusted sites. I ran for 3 years without a firewall or anti-virus without contracting a virus by following that basic principle. It was only when my server somehow got one that I thought it time to start using one. I recommend avast! Home edition, its free and just requires registration to get a serial code for it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The woes of OS re-installation        Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:11 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Thanks for tips. I've started keeping drivers and installers on my memory stick now. :)

Offtopic Comment
How is avast! on resources? Does it do its job quietly?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The woes of OS re-installation        Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:15 pm 
FTP Access

Use the WAIK (its free) to image your system after a fresh install with applications and settings just how you like them, and keep the image on a usb drive (or PXE server if you have one) and you can have your system back in about 3 minutes. PXE booting the WAIK and restoring from a network server is how all my systems are done. Over gigabit its awesome.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The woes of OS re-installation        Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:36 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
avast! is the best AV I've had for low resource use. It uses under 30MB when running in the background doing its job silently. The only hint you get its doing anything is when it updates daily and you get a friendly "MSN Style" notification on the bottom right of the screen with a notification sound.

Commit size is paging file size, and doesn't have much relevance.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The woes of OS re-installation        Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:56 pm 
Donator

Thinstall (I think it is called ThinApp now), and back up your profile.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The woes of OS re-installation        Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I'll seccond avast!, as I've used it since version 3, and it seems to be getting better with each release. Its also less resource-intensive than others I've used (McAfee VS 8, 9 enterprise, Vexira, etc. )

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The woes of OS re-installation        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:51 am 
Donator

Image backups like Bob suggested, try Norton Ghost if ImageX is too tricky for you.

Top  Profile