BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 8h, 20m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 4452MB of 10779MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:58 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
If I install DBAN on a memory stick, will the files on the memory stick be deleted upon installation?

I googled for a while, to no avail. Anyone here familiar with it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
it shouldnt but why dont you just create a bootable cd,the instructins are on the site: http://www.dban.org/faq/burningont

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:49 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Because I honestly CBA to burn off a CD. My memory stick would be quicker and faster.

EDIT: "Quicker and faster"? WTF.

Last edited by Alpha-Critik on Fri May 15, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:51 pm 
Donator

Alpha-Critik wrote:
CBA.

Offtopic Comment
Whats that mean?

I do not think you would have to erase the usb but why not just back it up and install so even if you do you can just paste the stuff back

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:08 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
zamadatix wrote:
Alpha-Critik wrote:
CBA.

Offtopic Comment
Whats that mean?

I do not think you would have to erase the usb but why not just back it up and install so even if you do you can just paste the stuff back

CBA means can't be asked.

Also, I was wondering if it rendered the stick permanently useless (apart from DBAN).

Last edited by Alpha-Critik on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:15 am 
Donator

The only way to render a usb stick useless to my knowledge is to either wear it out with reads and writes up the ass or physically break it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:21 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
zamadatix wrote:
The only way to render a usb stick useless to my knowledge is to either wear it out with reads and writes up the ass or physically break it.

But that takes... What... 100 million read-writes? Something crazy like that. Also, it's made with titanium. It won't break easily.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:25 am 
Donator

Between 10,000 and 100,000 for flash memory USB devices actually irc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:40 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Oops. Super-overestimation sucks. Has anyone got any concrete proof? I wanna be sure I don't kill my memory stick.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Alpha-Critik wrote:
Oops. Super-overestimation sucks. Has anyone got any concrete proof? I wanna be sure I don't kill my memory stick.

Its like saying installing a pirated version of Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Genuine Advantage will render your hard drive useless.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:13 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
why not partition your USB stick to have the Boot n Nuke and the data?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:42 am 
FTP Access

Alpha-Critik wrote:

Actually, it means Can't Be Arsed. In other words, lazy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:43 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
OG wrote:
Alpha-Critik wrote:

Actually, it means Can't Be Arsed. In other words, lazy.

I didn't want to swear on the forums. Also, I didn't know if ass filters. Meh.

pizzaboy192 wrote:
why not partition your USB stick to have the Boot n Nuke and the data?

Perhaps the best idea this thread has yielded. Thank you.

EDIT: Wait... What? If I boot, and put memstik into target computer, then look for a part to boot from, will my memory stick show as two seperate parts?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:44 pm 
Donator

From BIOS it will show it as a physical usb drive and not show partitions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:37 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
zamadatix wrote:
From BIOS it will show it as a physical usb drive and not show partitions.

Bugger. There's that plan out the window. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:40 pm 
Donator

make dban on the first partition of the drive... all data on the second. you dont need them separate though unless it formats the disk on install.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
zamadatix wrote:
make dban on the first partition of the drive... all data on the second. you dont need them separate though unless it formats the disk on install.

Er... Can you provide a step by step?

I know how to partition a hard drive... But parting a portable is unknown to me. Also, I'm running a Sandisk Cruzer 8GB Titanium. It is picked up as one CD-drive which auto-runs the U3 software, and then there is the normal removable drive which I use for file storage. I can't seem to form a partition on either of them...

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Alpha-Critik wrote:
zamadatix wrote:

Er... Can you provide a step by step?

I know how to partition a hard drive... But parting a portable is unknown to me. Also, I'm running a Sandisk Cruzer 8GB Titanium. It is picked up as one CD-drive which auto-runs the U3 software, and then there is the normal removable drive which I use for file storage. I can't seem to form a partition on either of them...

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Smack (and possibly damage) the drive into you USB port (or Firewire or eSATA, etc, etc, etc... I can go on.) Then, right click "My Computer" and hit "Manage". Then, goto disk management and find your flash drive. Image or back-up you Flash drive and then DELETE the partition... PArtition it the way you like! :) Enjoy.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:47 pm 
Donator

Or use the shrink and move commands to save time... still back it up just in case something goes wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:56 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Erg... Very annoying process. Having to wait 15 minutes for the in-built software to format, backup, and remove the in-built U3 system, then restore all the files... I never use it, anyway. Will let you know how it goes when it finishes.

Also, while we are here... Can you give a partition a larger name? Instead of a single letter, I mean. Something like DBAN:, and another part called DATA: ? Anyone know if it is possible?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Alpha-Critik wrote:
Erg... Very annoying process. Having to wait 15 minutes for the in-built software to format, backup, and remove the in-built U3 system, then restore all the files... I never use it, anyway. Will let you know how it goes when it finishes.

Also, while we are here... Can you give a partition a larger name? Instead of a single letter, I mean. Something like DBAN:, and another part called DATA: ? Anyone know if it is possible?

The name of a drive can only be a single alphabetical character. Naming drives multiple letters in not supported in Windows. :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:13 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
motherboardlove wrote:
Alpha-Critik wrote:

The name of a drive can only be a single alphabetical character. Naming drives multiple letters in not supported in Windows. :P

Shame... Is there a patch for it? Also, the format is finished. Parting now...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:29 pm 
Donator

No, just use the letter. Name one data and the other dban.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:39 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
I backed up my files, and formatted the drive. Yet the "Delete Partiton" option is still greyed out. Er... What's happening?

EDIT: No-one is answering, please lock.

Top  Profile