BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 2h, 54m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 5795MB of 10906MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Organizing my Music?        Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:00 am 
Donator

Okay.

:(

I've fairly consistently neglected to organize my music library for years. At this point simply contemplating it has become exhausting. I have close to fifty gigabytes of mostly unorganized and improperly/wrongly tagged music. To start, I'd like to move all of my music in to folders by artist and ignore the rest of the information about the song. Then I'll manually go through and delete songs I don't want. At this point I'll try to properly tag everything and let iTunes reorganize it all for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this process a bit quicker?

EDIT: Right, I finally made the move to iTunes and I'm wondering why the [censored] I can't play FLAC or OGG files. I'm a bit of an audiophile and I'm not going to convert them to a lossy format. How is support for Apple Lossless? If I bring these to a computer without iTunes am I going to be able to play them with... say WinAMP or VLC?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Organizing my Music?        Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:08 am 
Donator

You should be able to auto-tag in Winamp, I know I did it a while ago but I think you have to do it manually. I know you can get album covers in iTunes, you should be able to get info too - provided there is enough info to start with

edit: 10,000th post in this forum,

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Organizing my Music?        Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:17 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Personally I hate iTunes, I simply find it too sluggish and ugly. No idea why, I've just never been a fan.

I spent about 3 hours once organising all my music (I have about 55GB myself) but over the last year or so its become messy again and I just gave up. Now I use Winamp's Library for search the music I want. It will arrange by filename and ID3 tag so its not too bad, and the actual location doesn't tend to matter. I'm fairly happy with that but I do want to rename them and put them into the proper folders at some point. Doing it manually is by far the easiest way. I wouldn't trust a program to automatically name my music in case it got it totally wrong and a song by Pendulum was renamed to a song by Queen or something like that!

So my advice is rename them yourself. It might take a while, but you don't have to do it all on the same day. Do an hour at a time and then come back to it another day. Thats what I'd do. At least that way you know its right, and its named how you want them to be. Also, I hate ID3 tags, so I always remove them from all my files. I'd rather use the filename to organise my music. Some people put in very lame ID3 tags when you "obtain" them from certain places, so instead of editing them I just remove them.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Organizing my Music?        Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:16 am 
FTP Access

If you have alot of music it's would make more sense to use something that does all the hard work for you. You should check out Helium Music Manager. It easily has to be the most analy retentive obsessive compulsive bit of music management software going. The damn thing has everything and knows everything and is especially good for large collections. Hell it can even be configured to run with an sql database if that floats yer boat. Folder wise my music is only sorted by key, for dj'ing, I let Helium do all the other menial sorting (artist/album/title ect) where any particular folder could have several hundred tracks in no particular order.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Organizing my Music?        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
i have a tun of audio files and i am a bit of an organization freek, mine are simply organized alphabetically in folders, if i have more then 10 tracks by any one artist, i create a folder for it catagorizing by name of the artist/band/group/crew/posse...lol whatever...

i did the same thing for my record collection, i have 30 crates of vinyl records and i have them as well catagorized alphabetically by music type, all my hiphop/house/jungle/rock and roll/breaks/classical/drum and bass are in there own crates...if i am playing a show i can grab like 5 crates of house and they are all alphabetized...makes finding things totally fast

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Organizing my Music?        Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I use Mp3tag to manually tag stuff. But, being such a big classical music listener, I find it difficult to adopt a single standard with which to tag my files through. So, alas, my classical music collection is quite messy, and I have given up.

Otherwise, the rest of my music collection is quite tidy.

Top  Profile