BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 12h, 47m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5928MB of 10964MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:11 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Sup, BA?

Well, I'm in the slow and expensive process of building myself a... "command center" (???) of sorts. This will consist of, when I get enough money:

1. Secondary Monitor (Preferably LCD, any size including 17" and above, either analogue/digital ports)
    2. Surround/decent speakers (any high quality set with sub-woofer)
    3. External Hard Drive (1TB+, fast read-write speeds preferred)
    Already owned: 4. Corner style desk (IE fits into a corner of a room snugly, needs space for a laptop, secondary monitor, speakers and EHD)

I'm here because I want to ask you guys to help me research into some good-value stuff. My current price totals around £150 without monitor. Can you help?

Thanks, -AC

Last edited by Alpha-Critik on Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:19 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Give http://www.ebuyer.com a try. If you can, do avoid external USB drives. In experience speaking with friends, external drives seem to die quicker. No idea why, but it could be down to heat.

For speakers, you probably won't need to spend over £50 for a decent 5.1 surround set. Again give ebuyer a try for those, but there are plenty of other online shops to try too.

Again, ebuyer do some great monitor deals. I got my dual 19" widescreens from there for £70 each and they're Siemens too so a fairly good brand.

For desks, give Argos or Ikea a try. If your Dad is handy with his woodwork you could even build yourself a custom desk fairly cheaply with worktop from B&Q like I did.

I'll say this, avoid eBay for anything computer based unless you're going to buy new. You'll only be disappointed and most new stuff can be bought for similar prices to used nowadays anyway.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:22 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Wow, thanks very much, Andy! I had high hopes, but nothing quite as helpful as this.

EDIT: What can I do for external storage, then? I really need it, as I've filled up 135GB/140GB...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:13 am 
Administrator

I am not familiar with some of the brands you mentioned Andy, but since you Alpha-Critik need quick speeds on the external drive I suggest you find a unit with an eSATA connector. It will keep the drive external yet as fast as an internal one. And still portable (be sure to use AHCI mode in BIOS).

And yes, avoid eBay for buying electronics stuff since if it breaks you'll have a nice trip through hell and back to get it fixed. What exactly is the purpose of this "command center"?

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Will an eSATA work with a laptop?

Erg... I'm just building a better workspace for me. Hopefully, I'm going to get about £500 near the end of the month, so I can afford to splash out a bit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:51 am 
Administrator

Some laptops do have eSATA ports. Just look for one, it looks like this:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:46 pm 
Donator

You said in another post your laptop was an Acer Aspire 5735... I've looked and I don't see eSata support

e: you could also try an eSATA expresscard adapter, but I don't see the performance being too good. Then again I've never used one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:50 pm 
Administrator

I am not familiar with that model, but what about Firewire? Firewire gives a lot better performance and less CPU overhead than USB when it comes to external storage media.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:46 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
There isn't any Firewire ports either. Erg...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:31 pm 
Donator

I'll say it again, avoid eBay.

You'll be very limited by USB bandwidth... so much so that drive performance itself isn't something you even need to take into consideration. Why not just replace the internal storage with something larger and clone your current drive onto that one? If all you're doing is storing stuff on it you'll probably be satisfied with an external USB drive. I have an external 1TB USB drive and I don't have any complaints about the performance but like everyone else has mentioned you'll be better of with eSATA or Firewire. You might be able to get Firewire or eSATA ports though a PC Card or ExpressCard, but I don't really know about the bandwidth of either of those buses, it might be something to look in to.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I discussed the possibility of replacing the internal drive, but its already 320GB, so it would cost a lot just to upgrade to 500GB, which wouldn't give much more space. Then he'd have a useless 320GB drive. Remember, its a laptop not a desktop.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:32 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Andy wrote:
I discussed the possibility of replacing the internal drive, but its already 320GB, so it would cost a lot just to upgrade to 500GB, which wouldn't give much more space. Then he'd have a useless 320GB drive. Remember, its a laptop not a desktop.

Actually it's only 160GB... Anyway, I'll avoid eBay. Also, I have the desk issue fixed. I'm getting one for my birthday! (Yay!)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:40 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
My mistake. The one we looked at was 320GB! 8-) Still, for a laptop you'd be best going external really or the costs for the same space go quite high or are impossible to reach in some cases (E.G 1TB 2.5" drives).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
If you are looking for cheap (external) HDDs, sometimes there are good deals on Amazon. I've not looked on there myself but sometimes there are some good stuff

QuiescentWonder wrote:
I'll say it again, avoid eBay.

Also, I dunno what experiences you lot have had with electronic equipment + ebay, but I've bought 3 hdds off eBay, all still work fine. (including that half dead external hdd which was my laptops fault for mucking up) and other stuff. It just depends what you buy (ok if you are buying a 500GB hdd new from hong kong you're asking for trouble) in what condition really.

Anyway....

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:50 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Only avoid eBay for used computer goods. Buying new is generally OK, but I prefer buying from sites like eBuyer where you have a guaranteed warranty for such things. I only buy on eBay when the item I want isn't available at a decent price from other more trustable sites.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 1TB External Hard Drive        Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:15 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Well, unless anyone is feeling generous and will buy me a monitor, then I guess this thread can go away. Give it about a week until locking, please.

Top  Profile