BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 6h, 45m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 5792MB of 11085MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:55 am 
I never had a real answer to that question, so Ill put it here again. Why did MS do that? There hadnt been any new Version of IE from XP (2001) from Vista (2007), 6 years just some updates, why?

PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:12 pm 
Donator

maybe they thought it will always be the dominant browser (95%+ users), but surely someone would have seen that other browsers were being made. I guess someone was getting paid too much to do nothing

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:09 am 
FTP Access

IE8 is new isn't it?
IE5.01 in Win98se and Win2000, IE5.5 in ME, IE6 in XP, IE7 in Vista, IE8 in Win7.
I can see a trend, new operating system, new browser bundled with it.
:|

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:03 am 
Jimmy wrote:
IE8 is new isn't it?
IE5.01 in Win98se and Win2000, IE5.5 in ME, IE6 in XP, IE7 in Vista, IE8 in Win7.
I can see a trend, new operating system, new browser bundled with it.
:|

Well yeah, but thats no reason for abandoning a Browser for so many years.

PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Here's part of the reason:

Wikipedia wrote:
In a May 7, 2003 Microsoft online chat, Brian Countryman, Internet Explorer Program Manager, declared that Internet Explorer would cease to be distributed separately from Windows (IE 6 would be the last standalone version);[4] it would, however, be continued as a part of the evolution of Windows, with updates coming only bundled in Windows upgrades. Thus, Internet Explorer and Windows itself would be kept more in sync. However, after one release in this fashion (IE6 SP2 in Windows XP SP2, in August 2004), Microsoft changed its plan and released Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP1 in late 2006. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 was the last version of Internet Explorer not to have "Windows" in the title, with later versions shifting to "Windows Internet Explorer".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:37 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Its important to consider that Microsoft considered it a largely completed product - it could browse the internet and had little competition.

Furthermore, as hinted by Thlump its future was unsure - Microsoft was being sued- a cynic would say the IE team spent most of their time removing IE for Windows. :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:14 pm 
IE not being developed for so long has a very complex explanation so brace yourself:

1.Longhorn/Vista was supposed to introduce a new IE version but as many of you can attest the pre-refresh alphas did not have any evidence of the sort. This is because of SECURITY. Microsoft hauled back in 2003 and started work on rebuilding a significant portion of both Windows XP itself and Internet Explorer. There were very few legitimate user enhancements from these updates (released in tandem with Service Pack 2) aside form small things like the addon manager, but the whole point was to stop the constant stream of attacks, most notably the Blaster worm. Not only did this security rewrite delay Longhorn to near death it also affected IE's own development timeline, but that part is debatable (see reason 2)

2.Competition. Flash back to 2001. 8 years ago the world was a very different place. Most of us were kids and listening to Linkin Park (again, we were kids). Also, Microsoft had at that point not only ruled the market for browsers on Windows but also, thanks to an agreement that got Steve Jobs boo'd on stage for, also on MacOS (both the original and X variants). Netscaped had failed miserably and fallen apart. The remnants of it had gathered up to create the Mozilla Foundation with a browser with uncanny semblance to Netscape Navigator 6.0. As disastrous as IE's HTML parser may be (as many of you Web Devs know) it was boss and you really didnt have a choice. Microsoft, frankly, didnt need to care. We can thank god for Mozilla Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox for changing the game and waking up microsoft to build an actual update to IE with IE7.

Anyway TLDR? Security Problems and lack of Competition.

PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
I've also heard the story that most of the guys who did IE5 and 6 were newcomers, so when IE 6 was completed they just moved up to management positions and such, thus no-one was left to actually develop the next version.

And they obviously didn't have much incentive to replace them back in 2001 either.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
IE 8 will come out with Windows 7. i have used the beta and am very pleased with it. but anyway, IE8 has some newer features that other browsers already have so it is catching up to speed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
Sports8632 wrote:
IE 8 will come out with Windows 7. i have used the beta and am very pleased with it. but anyway, IE8 has some newer features that other browsers already have so it is catching up to speed.

IE 8 Will come out? IE8 has been out for a while, you know.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Namronia wrote:
I never had a real answer to that question, so Ill put it here again. Why did MS do that? There hadnt been any new Version of IE from XP (2001) from Vista (2007), 6 years just some updates, why?

Because IE is drek, simples.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
ReactOS wrote:
Sports8632 wrote:

IE 8 Will come out? IE8 has been out for a while, you know.

You're wrong..lol
He said IE8 Will Come out With Windows 7

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
harry4567 wrote:
You're wrong..lol
He said IE8 Will Come out With Windows 7

No you are wrong 8-)

It has been out for:
3 months + 3 weeks + 5 days = 118 days!

Check the release date:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=341c2ad5-8c3d-4347-8c03-08cdecd8852b&displayLang=en

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
strangely however, the version number for IE is different for Windows 7, it's 8.0.[Windows 7 build number].0, rather than the IE 8 RTM builds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Thlump wrote:
strangely however, the version number for IE is different for Windows 7, it's 8.0.[Windows 7 build number].0, rather than the IE 8 RTM builds.

That is because when it is rebuild, all program .exe and other stuff is updated to the latest buildnumber, they even integrate the latest updates.

So it is not that strange.

Look at IE 6 in XP, it is the same.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (7600)
There is no reason to develop IE - there are much better browsers :)

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:29 pm 
FTP Access

MrTasty wrote:
There is no reason to develop IE - there are much better browsers :)

You forgot adding !!!11111 at the end of your sentence... Seriously why can't you understand that everyone may choose what he wants? If I like IE, there are no "much better browsers".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (7600)
pkubaj wrote:
Seriously why can't you understand that everyone may choose what he wants? If I like IE, there are no "much better browsers".

I don't want to start a holy war on this topic, but just try to run ACID test on IE. Or download some other popular browser and compare it with IE using Browser Benchmark :wink:

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:43 am 
Donator

MrTasty wrote:
pkubaj wrote:
Seriously why can't you understand that everyone may choose what he wants? If I like IE, there are no "much better browsers".

I don't want to start a holy war on this topic, but just try to run ACID test on IE. Or download some other popular browser and compare it with IE using Browser Benchmark :wink:

And? The average computer user couldn't care less

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why had MS abandoned the IE since XP?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (7600)
happy dude wrote:

And? The average computer user couldn't care less

I call myself an average copmuter user, but I prefer speed and stability.

Top  Profile  ICQ
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]