BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 2h, 2m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 4293MB of 10321MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: accidents with laptops        Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:40 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
hi on new year eve i spilt wine on ma laptop and the think pad is screwd and the l key

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:47 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Moved to OffTopic Discussions

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:48 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
sorry andy im not quite sure where they go

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
10 long years, frig the scene anymore.

Kids think they have deep in sources at the age of 12, why bother caring when no one receives respect anymore, they assume bullcrap, but that's all they are.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Last edited by IsaacD on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:41 pm 
Donator

I've not had any accidents with any of my laptops yet, but I really baby them, that may be why.
My father, however, once dropped his iBook from approximately 50 cm onto stone floor, managing to break the logic board and the HD. The screen was undamaged, fortunately. He sold the nearly 2-year-old notebook on eBay, got >500$ for it and used part of that to buy a new one...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:54 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
I've not had any accidents with any of my laptops yet, but I really baby them, that may be why.
My father, however, once dropped his iBook from approximately 50 cm onto stone floor, managing to break the logic board and the HD. The screen was undamaged, fortunately. He sold the nearly 2-year-old notebook on eBay, got >500$ for it and used part of that to buy a new one...

I'm always very careful with them too. My dad's iBook got knocked off the arm of a sofa once (it was at some meeting he was at, so I didn't see it happen), presumably onto carpet, but it didn’t seem to suffer any consequences, which is quite surprising really as I think if my laptop fell that far (even onto carpet) it would probably be really badly damaged (certainly the screen would be broken)! The clamshell iBooks do seem to be very tough indeed. It does seem ridiculous how much people seem prepared to pay for quite badly damaged laptops on eBay though…

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:11 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I treat my laptop with a lot of respect. There is no way I can afford to replace it. Although I got it for free Im treating it as if Ive bought it and that its fully my responsibility. In the two and a bit years Ive had it the only issue Ive had with it was a bad PSU socket and a bad PSU brick. Both problems resolved with a bit of solder and £20.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:40 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
I treat my laptop with a lot of respect. There is no way I can afford to replace it. Although I got it for free Im treating it as if Ive bought it and that its fully my responsibility. In the two and a bit years Ive had it the only issue Ive had with it was a bad PSU socket and a bad PSU brick. Both problems resolved with a bit of solder and £20.

Exactly the same for me, except I haven't had any problems with any of my laptops.

I currently have 5, 1 is dead (will not power up anymore, thinking its something on the mobo that blew) and the other 4 are working perfectly. I got 2 of them free, payed 35 dollars for one (had a bad motherboard, got a new one), and the first laptop I got was about $100, but it still works quite well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:49 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Well Ive got two other laptops, one not technically mine, its my dads, but he never uses it.

One I got for free and the other my dad got from eBay. The one I got for free just needed a new BIOS battery and away it went.

166mhz Pentium I
32mb RAM
2gb HD
12" screen no dead pixels
Floppy drive
CD Drive

Runs windows 98 at the moment. Its battery was shot but I managed to recover it from 1 minute run time to 1 hour with the battery tutorial I posted here. :)

The battery later stopped charging above 50% and I don't know why. Maybe I can recover it again with the same method as last time. Time will tell when I can be bothered to do it :)

BTW my dads laptop is of similar spec but it has 80mb RAM, no battery and no CD. Runs Windows 98 also.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:07 am 
FTP Access

I have:

Acer Aspire 1714 SMI: P4HT 3.4 GHz, 128 MB GeForce GO5700, 1 GB Ram, 120 GB HD, 17" screen, DVD writer, card readers, XP Pro - £1300 new in mid-2004

Toshiba Satellite: P1 133 MHz, 4 GB HD, 48 MB Ram, some battery life, CD drive built-in, Windows 2000 Pro - £30

Apple PowerBook 520: 8 MB Ram, 230 MB HD, MacOS 7.6, 9.5" greyscale passive-matrix screen, 512 KB Vram, 25 MHz 68LC040 processor, both batteries dead - free

Toshiba T1000LE - Intel 8086 CPU, 20 MB HD, dead floppy and battery - free

Mitac 3026E - 386 processor, 40 MB HD, Windows 3.1, dead battery - free

NEC UltraLite 286F - 286 processor, 40 MB HD, dead battery – free

Apple Newton MessagePad 120 – not actually a laptop as such, these are PDAs although much bigger than today’s - £5

I also had a ThinkPad 570 (PII 300 MHz, 64 MB Ram) that I got for free because the backlight was dead, and I sold it at a profit of about £20.

I am always very careful with all of them as I know that there's no way I could fix one if it got broken (I would have loved to get the ThinkPad working, but there's no way I could), and they are very expensive to get someone else to fix, and I really like my collection of computers so would hate to see one get broken.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:36 am 
FTP Access

Thats the majority of my laptop computers. From Left to right:

DELL Inspiron 7000 PII 366, 256MB Ram, ATi Rage Pro 4MB, 4GB HDD, 14.1" Display, Windows XP Professional SP2 (OEM)

DELL Latitude CPi A366XT, PII 366, 128MB Ram, NeoMagic 2.5MB Video, 40GB HDD, 13.1" Display, Windows XP Professional SP2 (OEM)

DELL Inspiron 7000, PII 366, 384MB Ram, ATi Rage Pro 8MB, 12GB HDD, 15" Display, Windows XP Professional SP2 (OEM) This one doesn't have an OS on it at this time because I'm still looking for a decent hard drive for it or the Latitude. The drive that's in this I7K is extremely noisy (as are my other hard drives, except the 40GB and the 4GB).

Theres 2 that aren't pictured, both are Compaq Armada 1700, PII 233, 12" displays, 64MB Ram, 4gb HDD's. One runs really well for its age, the other one is dead. So now its a parts computer.

Anyway, to get back to the original post, it may be an idea to take the laptop in for repair if you havent done so. But before doing that, you probably should let it dry out (provided you haven't done this) and DO NOT power it up until its completely dried out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:31 pm 
Donator

i have always wanted a laptop, mainly for movies and stuff. but have never had the money

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]