BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 11d, 11h, 40m | CPU: 9% | MEM: 6685MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:28 am 

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
My XP partition is giving me problems for the first time since I installed it... Basically, every time I boot XP, this error below appears. Apart from being consistently annoying, it's also dragging down my explorer.exe loading time (from when I hit enter after putting in my password) from around 2 seconds to about 25 seconds. My boot time has also dramatically increased.

This started happening after installing ZoneAlarm Security Suite. ZA slowed EVERYTHING down so much I decided to un-install. After the un-install (which I had to do twice because of some error), I noticed my shut-down speed had returned to it's normal time of around 7-10 seconds. But when I booted, the above happened.

I think part of the problem may be that I have Vista on my C: part, and XP on my F: part.

Can you guys help me?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
I think you may need to scan your system for viruses, that file shouldnt be on that location. If it isn't there, start MSCONFIG and goto startup and look if theres any entry with the filename csrss.exe and unvink it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win8
I suggest you using CCleaner to remove unused and old entries.
Also, disable start-up programs you don't need/don't have.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
is there anything in the folder in question ? that file should not be there as Whistler_fan said. I suspect some kind of XDCC server/ftpd running in stealth, these things install files in weird dirs under %windir%.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:19 pm 
Donator

Well, csrss is pretty much win32 usermode stub, so you wouldn't able to use your system if it was missing. However, it belongs in c:\Windows\System32, not c:\Windows\config

A lot of malware hides under this file name, because it is such a critical process. This is most certainly something bad.

Format, reinstall.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:09 pm 

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
From what I can understand, you guys think this is a virus caused by an anti-virus tool?

8-)

RentedMule wrote:
Well, csrss is pretty much win32 usermode stub, so you wouldn't able to use your system if it was missing. However, it belongs in c:\Windows\System32, not c:\Windows\config

A lot of malware hides under this file name, because it is such a critical process. This is most certainly something bad.

Format, reinstall.

My F: part, right?

The Distractor wrote:
is there anything in the folder in question ? that file should not be there as Whistler_fan said. I suspect some kind of XDCC server/ftpd running in stealth, these things install files in weird dirs under %windir%.

There is no C:\Windows\Config folder, because my C: part is Vista, and Vista doesn't have that folder. I have an F:\Windows\Config folder, but there isn't anything in it.

RayBiez wrote:
I suggest you using CCleaner to remove unused and old entries.
Also, disable start-up programs you don't need/don't have.

I'm using a slimline version of XP which only runs the ABSOLUTELY VITAL processes. So no need to untick any. I also can't use CCleaner because I can't download anything at the moment, as I've peaked my monthly download cap already.

So... A reformat is the only way around this, then?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:10 pm 
Donator

Flat out, if you are infected, even if you can scan and clean it off, obviously you were vulnerable, so you have no idea what is still in there that you DIDN'T find.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:37 pm 
Donator

Config should be in %SystemRoot%\System32\Config. Csrss is the actual process that hosts the Win32 Subsystem. It should be in %SystemRoot%\System32.

It seems malicious.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:33 am 

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Right... Here are some more pics explaining the situation.

I went and looked for csrss. Here's where I found it:

All seems ok, right?

Then I went and looked at Config.

Again, everything seems fine. Although, inside the Config folder, there are NO files OR folders, at all. Is this bad?

From what I can deduce...

CSRSS is the name of the virus that has infected my computer, but due to bad programming on the creator's part, it cannot execute properly due to where it is supposed to launch from (C:\Windows\Config), simply because the folder does not exist. The virus couldn't create this folder either, because I have Vista system files in complete and entire lockdown/quarantine whenever I am using XP. In retrospect, this was a good idea!

Currently, the virus can't do anything (noticeable, anyway). This is good too.

Well, that's what I can make of it, anyway. If this is correct, then all I need to do is remove that stupid error at startup, and I have my laptop back at full speed. :D

Last edited by Alpha-Critik on Wed May 06, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:44 am 
FTP Access

If you can't download anything, you're pretty much screwed. How do you hit your monthly cap after five days?

Run ccleaner, malwarebytes,sdfix, combofix, spybot, and avira free.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:32 pm 

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
expert01 wrote:
If you can't download anything, you're pretty much screwed. How do you hit your monthly cap after five days?

Run ccleaner, malwarebytes,sdfix, combofix, spybot, and avira free.

Offtopic Comment
Because I download everything I see as soon as possible. Especially everything on the FTP's...

I can't run these, damn it! I already said downloads are unavailable for the rest of the month. If I can't get them, I'll just format and re-install.

How big are these apps? If all of them are under 5MB, then maybe...

EDIT: I have a different suite to CCleaner which does everything that CCleaner does, and more. :P

EDIT2: I got hold of CCleaner... It is brilliant. I un-installed the older suite immediately.

EDIT3: My friend downloaded MalwareBytes for me so I could install and run it. I'm glad to report that it worked perfectly! It detected a "bad C:\windows\config\csrss.exe" and removed it promptly. I have my good old, speedy XP back. Thanks, expert01!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Cannot find C:\Windows\Config\csrss.exe"        Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
ZoneAlarm removed this file but the other files left by the virus are referencing it and can't find it which is what's making everything lag. Just scan for viruses and get rid of the virus and remove the startup entry for that file that you see the error for and you should be fine.

Top  Profile