BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 14h, 56m | CPU: 36% | MEM: 6127MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: A recent convert        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:52 pm 
Donator

So, after a while of not posting, thought I'd share something with BA.

I am a recent convert. No, not to Jesus, nor the flying spaghetti monster, but to Linux. I started using Linux close to full time about 2 months ago. And after the experience, it is painful to switch back to Windows. EVERYTHING is customisable. And easily customisable. I can set my computer up EXACTLY how I like it, with very little effort. True, I have faced the occasional bug, and i don't recommend gaming on Linux at all, but everything is fixable. The support community is phenomenal. And the price is pretty darn good too ^^

I'm not trying to push it on anyone, and this isn't a "My OS is better then yours, nyah nyah" thing either. This is just a very happy person wanting to tell people about it. If you've thought about trying Linux, do it. Just do it. It's a lot more pleasant then it was a few years ago.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A recent convert        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
rayle wrote:
So, after a while of not posting, thought I'd share something with BA.

I am a recent convert. No, not to Jesus, nor the flying spaghetti monster, but to Linux. I started using Linux close to full time about 2 months ago. And after the experience, it is painful to switch back to Windows. EVERYTHING is customisable. And easily customisable. I can set my computer up EXACTLY how I like it, with very little effort. True, I have faced the occasional bug, and i don't recommend gaming on Linux at all, but everything is fixable. The support community is phenomenal. And the price is pretty darn good too ^^

I'm not trying to push it on anyone, and this isn't a "My OS is better then yours, nyah nyah" thing either. This is just a very happy person wanting to tell people about it. If you've thought about trying Linux, do it. Just do it. It's a lot more pleasant then it was a few years ago.

I have the current Ubuntuan I prefer Win7. It just isn't easy enough to use. Too little app compatibility, even through Wine.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: A recent convert        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:39 pm 
FTP Access

I used Ubuntu for a couple of years. It was alright. But now, I find it easier to keep all my programs on one OS. Since I have games and Windows only programs, it's much easier for me to use Vista.

And while everything is customizable, I could never get it to look good. It always looked amateurish. The theme never looked consistent, and I don't think it's possible to get the area that houses the navigation buttons and address bar to be transparent like Vista.

But it is a good OS, it just doesn't do everything I need and want an OS to do. But if it does what you need and want it to do, then that's all that matters. :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A recent convert        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Linux is great for what it is: a low cost operating system for basic office tasks.

But, for serious computing, I would stick with Windows.

All operating systems have their place. While Linux can supplant Windows and visa versa, it really depends on your own needs and wants from an operating system. While Linux may be complete adequate for some people, it is not for most people.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A recent convert        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
To install programs is a bit tedious and I haven't figure out how to do so. They should make an equivalent of exe file installer for Linux, so you can just double click and it install.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A recent convert        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:27 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Day2Die wrote:
To install programs is a bit tedious and I haven't figure out how to do so. They should make an equivalent of exe file installer for Linux, so you can just double click and it install.

On Arch I have installed a program that does that (Not being around the computer I can't name it)... On Gentoo you can "emerge" and compile all the applications...

I think you need to consider that many packages in Linux, in some way or another, require compilation. To a large extent this compilation gives Linux a potential advantage over Windows...

-=-=-=-
I have been happier with Windows because it streamlines a single user interface: As the sole user of the computer doing "sudo" for every operation is annoying.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: A recent convert        Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:53 pm 
Donator

Day2Die wrote:

What's wrong with Add/Remove on the Applications menu?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A recent convert        Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:19 am 
Donator

What's wrong with Add/Remove on the Applications menu?[/quote]

It is a great menu (lov eit myself) but sometimes there may be something not on it and you end up trying to find the installer file for your linux and even then it is "Install here with these settings". It would be perfect if they could let you choose paths and a few program options that you would expect in install in a gui and keep the add/remove/ menu there.

Top  Profile