BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 49d, 9h, 40m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 6578MB of 10997MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:42 am 
FTP Access

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way to install Windows through Windows in a file, without repartitioning.
You can install Ubuntu that way using Wubi. It just creates a file on your Windows HDD, adds an entry into your boot records and allows you to use Ubuntu without repartitioning your disk.

The thing is that the software we use at school for exams runs only on XP and Vista, and can't be run on Seven.
I know what you think... VMWare, Virtual PC, or Compatibility mode...
Sorry but the developers were smart and you CAN'T run the software using virtualization or compatibility mode...

And as it's just for 1 week I don't want to repartition my laptop, move files and waste hours for that (I did last semester)...

That's why I would like a "wubi-like" to install XP quickly...

Thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:13 am 
FTP Access

Have you thought of installing XP to a flash drive?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:56 pm 
Donator

expert01 wrote:
Have you thought of installing XP to a flash drive?

That is a bit harder than it sounds so I do not really recommend it.

Rapartitioning should take 5 minutes if your in 7, just go to disk management and right click your partition and shrink it 10gb or whatever an install XP on that afterwards.

I do not know of any way to install it in the same partition as another Windows install though sorry :/.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:16 pm 
FTP Access

The last time I tried to repartition my hard drive I used Partition Manager boot cd and it took hours... Because there were files at the end of my partition so the software ha to move them.

Using a flash drive... Yeah I thought about it. Using Bart PE right?
The thing is that if the soft we use at school finds out that I don't have a full version of XP or Vista running, it just says "You can't run SGES Client on this computer blablabla" so you can't pass your exam!

I just hate this software... The questions of the exams are stored in a server, the client (on our computers) downloads the questions, and shows a list of questions selected randomly... So the questions are not in the same order than the ones on your friend's laptop... And they are different. So you can't cheat.
I don't say that because I want to cheat but... Come on! it's heavy! You have to stop some services, stop running apps... It's a pain where you think it is ^^

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:51 am 
FTP Access

No, no bartpe, just install XP to your flash drive. As long as your computer supports booting from flash drives you shouldn't have an issue. I'd unplug the built in hard drive for install to make sure it doesn't overwrite the boot loader, but afterwords you should be able to press a button during startup to choose which drive to boot from.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:36 am 
Donator

You have to modify the .iso for a normal XP install to boot from a usb... Microsoft does not natively support that. Though you can do this guide (a few minutes of copying an pasting and getting cab if you do not have it) http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8 and it will work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:15 pm 
FTP Access

Thank you for this method, I will try that these days.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:47 pm 
Microsoft has not yet developed a app like that! if they do most cases is that you will need the disc handy which if you posted this fourm you probablly do!

PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:50 am 
FTP Access

A simple script that runs diskpart with specific commands, followed by "imagex /apply" and some bcdedit commands should do the trick.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
have you tried using the compatibility mode ?

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows through Windows in a file (Wubi like)        Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
onghornLay 4029/Whistler 2419
The only thing I can think to try is installing XP to your USB from Virtual XP Mode, then running the USB in 7. I don't know whether or not it will work, as I am trying it now, using this: http://mojopac.com/ There's more info about it here: http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/geek-to-live--build-your-pc-on-a-stick-with-mojopac-208338.php and here: http://lifehacker.com/309233/make-any-application-portable-with-mojopac-freedom

Top  Profile