BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 11h, 12m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 5583MB of 10924MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I'm running Windows 7 7100 (x64) on my Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 which is a 2.2ghz but it reports the speed as 1598Mhz

And on my laptop

Ive disabled all power management via bios on the laptop btw

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
On the desktop, it's speedstep (Power Management) kicking in, because the multiplier has dropped to 6, when it should be 8 if I remember correctly.

Any chance of a CPU-Z on the laptop btw?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:30 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
A lot of Intels have SpeedStep technology, including the laptop processor. Its normal to see lower CPU speeds in properties and CPU-Z. When you utilise more CPU, the speed will step up. It does this as a power saving feature and is nothing to worry about. In desktop CPU's you can often disable SpeedStep if you want to. Laptops don't generally have the option.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:34 am 
Donator

If you want to disable it you can just go into power options from the control panel and set it to "Home/Office Desktop", if I remember correctly. You'll be loosing some battery life though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
I'm ashamed, crew. it's obvious that Dudex stoled them.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:47 pm 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
If you want to disable it you can just go into power options from the control panel and set it to "Home/Office Desktop", if I remember correctly. You'll be loosing some battery life though.

I do not think that plan has 100% when idle (if I remember correctly) but you should just change the advanced options so you keep other power settings low.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
From what I read, Intel's SpeedStep and AMD's Cool'n'Quiet technologies only conserve about three watts of electricity on average. So, the marketing hype about soft cooling is unfounded.

On laptops, this may mean slightly longer battery life, but on desktops, the difference is negligible.

You can disable it, correct.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:11 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
SpeedStep on my server saves over 30 watts. I have a power meter plugged in to verify it. I tried it with it enabled and disabled and it was a huge difference when idling.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Well, there must be a difference between desktop and server CPUs, maybe?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:03 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Well notebook CPU's generally tend to use less power anyway but I guess there must be some difference.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:35 pm 
FTP Access

XX55XX wrote:
Well, there must be a difference between desktop and server CPUs, maybe?

Not really. Desktop and Server CPUs use the same architecture from the same generation and they typically have the same power usage. And up until Core i7, the memory controller was located on the Northbridge. The main difference was the number of pins on them which dictate what socket they can go into. It's the memory controller and the type of memory that they can use that normally differentiates server hardware from desktop PC hardware. I believe it really allows Intel to sell the Xeon processors for a lot more money by making the desktop CPUs incompatible with the server motherboards. Intel may select chips that are "better," but that's something that's hard to substantiate.

However, there are Xeon processors that are available for LGA775, and they're the same price as their desktop Core 2 Duo counter parts. The only difference is the brand on them.

But with Core i7, there is a difference now with the memory controller located on the CPU, so now the consumer CPUs and Server CPUs are different.

The biggest difference I can tell between Server hardware and normal Consumer hardware is the inclusion of ECC (error correcting code) support for server hardware. It increases the reliability but it does impact speed a bit. It's also more expensive. Also, server motherboards may include two sockets for two CPUs. Server motherboards typically can accept more memory and offer more memory slots than your typical PC motherboard. Some server motherboards can take 96 gigs of RAM and there also ones that can max out to 128 gigs of RAM.

However, any PC can be used as a server. It's not really the hardware that dictates whether it's a server or not, but rather its use. Many workstations use server hardware (like the Mac Pro).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
hougtimo wrote:

:D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:51 pm 
Donator

Ambig wrote:
The biggest difference I can tell between Server hardware and normal Consumer hardware is the inclusion of ECC (error correcting code) support for server hardware.

The main difference between consumer and server hardware is that server CPUs support multi-socket configurations. Server hardware usually includes server-oriented features, such as out-of-band management and PCI hot-swap, but that's not essential. Server chipsets usually provide more I/O ports (currently that means more PCIe lanes), and are much better at self-diagnosis (which is the reason most servers take several minutes just to get through the BIOS POST).

As far as processing goes, other than more L2 cache and L3 cache, server CPUs are the same as desktop ones, and the same goes for their power usage.

hougtimo wrote:

Dudex was the one who got his MHz stolen, no the thief. But I thought the same when I read the title. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:29 pm 
Donator

Not only would stepping down the clock reduce power usage but also allow for your computer to be cooler when it is not doing much.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where did my megahertz go?        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Ambig wrote:
Some server motherboards can take 96 gigs of RAM and there also ones that can max out to 128 gigs of RAM.

Offtopic Comment
The newer Dell workstations and soon-to-be PowerEdge servers can theoretically max out at 192GB+ memory, take for example the Precision T7500. I'm sure HP is not too far behind with their workstation equivalent.

Top  Profile