BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 17h, 54m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 5863MB of 10859MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:55 am 
Donator

I just recently dug up a computer that I need to get working, a Dell Optiplex GX270. I remember that it broke while playing GTA: San Andreas, I heard a noise and then the monitor froze, I then rebooted it, but the monitor didnt show anything, nothing. I tried doing many things to the computer including swithing hard drives and video cards, didn't see anything. Now i booted it up today and The "B" light is yellow, the rest is green. It never changes, what does this mean? I have looked at the online Dell manual and I do not see this error codes listed anywhere.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Do the fans spin up, does the harddrive spin up, is there a green light on the mobo
?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:17 am 
Donator

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Actually, the light is orange, but my other running Optiplex systems both have an orange light when on and running.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:06 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
what is the graphics card on it, and is it onboard or external\added on?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:19 am 
Donator

It's the onboard Dell. I'm not entirely sure what the actual model is though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
You can check if the motherboard isn't dead by removing all addoncards,ram and reseating the cpu and then checxk if there are any beepcodes/error lights, if it doesn't work, well... then i think your CPU or motherboard is gone. If it beeps/showing errorcodes, add your hardware piece by piece.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:43 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Have you tried resetting the BIOS? Thats always worth a try.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:40 pm 
Donator

I think this mobo is done.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
4512jth wrote:

I was going to suggest this, but I didn't want to jump the gun. I've repaired about 50 of these GX270 motherboards, but never got that service light combination (or at least never paid attention to it). The two main places to look for bad caps on the GX270 board are:

1.) (x9) Series of 1800uf, 6.3v caps, behind the CPU heatsink towards the back of the case.
2.) (x5) 1500uf, 6.3v caps (the short fat ones) located two in a pair, one set by the memory, one set under the heatsink at the front of the CPU, and one individual set off to the side somewhere (can't remember where exactly.)

....and it could be both. Either way, check to see if these caps are bulging first, and if not, then there is another issue.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:11 pm 
Donator

Ok, I dont see any bulging capacitors, but what could be the problem then?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:52 pm 
Donator

It's not necessarily something that you can see or repair so after a certain point of trying to diagnose the problem it's not even worth figuring out. I'm not saying that you should stop now, but you'll run out of things to try eventually and rule it down to non-replaceable parts.

Have you tested the power supply, RAM, and CPU separately? It might be a good idea to test the RAM and CPU in a different machine, then if they're good, put them back in and bring another power supply over to this broken computer and see if it will power up. Occasionally the power supplies will start to go bad but the machine sort-of powers up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:33 pm 
Donator

I can't test the CPU because I only have one other HyperThreaded P4, and that can't be taken apart. The RAM and Power Supply look to be fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:53 pm 
Donator

Never assume a PSU is by its look as it may just be waiting to go bang. RAM would most likely only be found as faulty by testing too as unless its freak failure you cant see faults with ram unless its major structural damage.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:50 pm 
Donator

win98 wrote:
Never assume a PSU is by its look as it may just be waiting to go bang. RAM would most likely only be found as faulty by testing too as unless its freak failure you cant see faults with ram unless its major structural damage.

When i said "looked" i mean that I actually did test them and they worked fine, but now that I look at it the RAM may be the problem because I put in my other 270 and it booted up, but then BSODed on the NVidia display driver, I put the original back and it works so I am going to try and use the "for-sure" working RAM in the not-working computer (I hope that made sense :p )

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Undocumented Dell Service Light code?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:30 am 
Donator

Did we forget to mention memtest? Make sure you're using memtest86+ v2.11 and not memtest86 v3. Apparently v3 has some issues, one having to do with 4GiB or more of RAM and one relating to multi-core CPUs.

You can use this to test RAM in a machine that will boot: http://www.memtest.org/

Top  Profile