BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 5h, 20m | CPU: 69% | MEM: 5844MB of 10999MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Files gone after sysprep?        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:45 pm 
Donator

I am new to this whole sysprep thing, and i recovered my computer a month ago. Since then, it was bugging me to run sysprep (i am a very technical user, just not at sysprep). I didn't know what it would do, so i let it do its thing. BAD MISTAKE! All of my documents i was running in adminsistrator are gone, my music, my games, my desktop, everything! Is it possible to get thses files back because some of them i cannot afford to lose?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files gone after sysprep?        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:46 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
A look here: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7736 might be a great help to you.

Do NOT write ANYTHING to the drive in question or you will reduce your ability to recover the files.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Files gone after sysprep?        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:04 pm 
Donator

Thanks Andy. At this rate it looks like I will have 10GB of music to re-download (all Metallica, GREAT band) that i lost, but I may be able to recover most of my files on my desktop. The only problem now is the fact that my internet connecting is at a whopping 768kbps (when a 10mbps line is available where I live), but I should be able to at least get the music back hopefully. And I still don't have any way to do a backup since I don't have enough space anywhere, but I may try and get an extra PC that can hold my spare 40GB drive since my family is very poor now due to the economy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files gone after sysprep?        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
A small note for sysprep (there is an better explanation but this is mostly for non-tech and tech persons).

Sysprep is run to ''reseal'' an computer, this includes and files made after installation (in personal folders!) and remove the serialnumber and hardware identification.
So it can be deployed on several other computers.

So if you are on the adminstrator account or any other account, DO NOT RUN SYSPREP or it will remove you're files and activation of vista.

Sysprep is largly used in big companies and enterprises to simply deployment.

Sysprep is also used at OEM's, like HP and Dell.
The deploy an standard image and then run sysprep and after the machine has shutdown then they pack it up and ship it to the customer who boots it and runs trough the OOBE again with HP/Dell application and other applications installed when you are trough the OOBE.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Files gone after sysprep?        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
4512jth wrote:
I am new to this whole sysprep thing, and i recovered my computer a month ago. Since then, it was bugging me to run sysprep (i am a very technical user, just not at sysprep). I didn't know what it would do, so i let it do its thing. BAD MISTAKE! All of my documents i was running in adminsistrator are gone, my music, my games, my desktop, everything! Is it possible to get thses files back because some of them i cannot afford to lose?

Why would you run sysprep at all if you didn't know what it does?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files gone after sysprep?        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:38 pm 
Donator

I ran it because i SORT OF knew what it did and I was tired . I also am in idiot :p Wellm I didn't have that much to loose in the first place, but thanks for the help, I managed to recover nearly all of my music and most of my documents and settings.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Files gone after sysprep?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:16 am 
Administrator

Glad to hear you managed to recover most of your stuff.

A general rule when you experiment with anything is to take backup of your stuff. If you experiment on an OS level then take a binary dump of your volume, use tools such as Symantec Ghost. Then you can restore your volume regardless what you did to it.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW