BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 4h, 50m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5505MB of 10624MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Office 2007 Local Installation Source        Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:02 am 
FTP Access

I was just installing some more Office 2007 programs and removed the last bits of Office 2003 that I still had left, and noticed that the C:\MSOCache folder is occupying over 800 MB of hard disk space. This is where Office stores the "local installation source", which is basically a copy of the installation CD, and you always used to be able to delete this using the Disk Cleanup Wizard (the result of which was that you would have to insert the Office CD when updating Office). However, this MSKB article says that the option to remove it is no longer available with Office 2007 (yet gives no reason for this), and in another KB article (relating to Office 2003) it says that you should only delete these files using the Cleanup Wizard, not manually using Explorer. I would like that gigabyte back though as my hard drive is nearly full, so what's your opinion on just going ahead and trashing that entire folder manually?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:10 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Id say just trash it. If they're only temporary files it won't hurt.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:11 am 
FTP Access

For the betas I used explorer and deleted the setup files, there was no errors. I'm pretty sure nothing will happen but you probably won't be able to uninstall office or change it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:09 pm 
Donator

just delete it. if it is just a copy of the cd, then you can always put it back. i might delete it now as well

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:53 pm 
FTP Access

OK then, thanks for the opinions, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a good reason why Microsoft had removed the option to delete these files for the 2007 release, and also said that you shouldn't manually delete that folder (eg that it becomes impossible to install updates or something like that!).

By the way, talking of Office updates, why does Office 2007 not appear on MS Update? Even if there aren't updates available for it (which there aren't yet, as far as I know), you'd think it would be listed in the bit on the left where it lists products that it's searching for updates for. When I still had some Office 2003 programs installed that was listed there, but now it just has Windows and SQL Server (even though I don't have SQL Server...). Unless they just haven't got round to adding Office 2007 to MS Update yet?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:20 pm 
Donator

im sure once there is an update it will be there

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:09 am 
FTP Access

No, you're probably confused about why a local installation source is required.
See, in Office 2000, XP, and 2003, you had the ability to create an administrative installation point using the /a switch on setup.exe. All it did was extract the installation files out of the .cab files (2000 didn't use cabs) and this was done so that customizations to settings, programs installed, or even slipstreaming of updates could be done.

In the 2007 Office System, they changed how you can customize installations. You now run the Customization tool (setup.exe /admin) which would allow you to create a .msp file that can be used to customize and automate installation. Which also means slipstreaming updates is not an option anymore, since they simplified the process by giving you an \Updates folder to drop any .msp files (except the ones created with OCT) which setup applies after installing the product.

I recommend you don't remove it unless you're really out of disk space, and removing it the wrong way could screw up adding features or repairing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:39 am 
i just deleted mine, have had no problems thus far

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:46 pm 
Donator

same here

Top  Profile