BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 3h, 10m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 3758MB of 9627MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:02 pm 
FTP Access

Hey,

I bought a new flat 24 inch wide-screen monitor for my PC. Plugged it in, works perfectly at 1920x1200.
But everytime I try to run a game at native resolution the screen becomes black and after a short period of time goes to standby.
Sometimes if I turn it off and then on after 10 seconds it's working fine but sometimes the only way to "regain control" is terminating the game blindly (which works fine for UT (win-key or Alt+F4) but not for CS etc).
If I run a game in windowed mode, the game intro (e.g. the "Nvidia - The way it was meant to be played" screen on UT04) appears and then the screen goes black as well.
"Lower" resolutions such as 1600x1200 work fine. But if I switch to anything above that screen goes black.

Is the reason for those problems that my graphics ram is too low? 64 MB seems to be too low for a screen that size, doesn't it?

(What's weird: This night I was playing UT for about an hour on 1920x1600 and it worked perfectly with a high framerate)

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:02 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Could it be the refresh rate? Just a thought

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:29 pm 
FTP Access

No, it's set to 60Hz.
And even if I run Google Earth screen goes black.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Se7en #7068
New you bute 24" widescreen LCD... why not go all the way and splurge on a nice new GFX unit also? See if that helps you out. If it doesn't, return it and claim it's "broken". ^^

Edit: Andy requested an Aussie to English translation:

New, fancy 24" widescreen LCD... why not go all the way and throw it all in on a nice new graphics card also? See if that improves your situation or gives you a clue as to where to go next. If it doesn't, return it and claim it's "broken". ^^

Last edited by Tom Chapman on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Ensign Joe wrote:
No, it's set to 60Hz.
And even if I run Google Earth screen goes black.

I suspect it's because either it doesn't run DirectX good or the videocard (64mb ?!?!) needs upgrading.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
Try to disable Triple buffering, it may save you some MB Videoram in games.
Triple buffering can be disabled with the Nvidia/ATI control panel
:: More info for videoram : http://www.makeitsimple.com/articles/ramguide/ramguidep4.htm

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:27 am 
Donator

what about setting the resfresh setting higher to about 70\75 that could help and check directx latest one 9.0c feb i think

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:18 pm 
FTP Access

I got the latest Direct X version.
hm... well then I have to install that .......... ATI tool. I didn't install it because it puts itself into every single contextmenu...

I can't even play Solitaire! I've got this Vista-games-on-XP-package and if I run Solitaire the screen goes black from time to time. The frequency increases by time.
Only happens if I run at 1920x1024. Every resolution below that (1600x1200 e.g.) works fine.

I cannot set te refresh rate higher than 60 Hz. Windows states that higher rates aren't supported. Well... I'll look in the manual.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
Ensign Joe wrote:
I got the latest Direct X version.
hm... well then I have to install that .......... ATI tool. I didn't install it because it puts itself into every single contextmenu...

I can't even play Solitaire! I've got this Vista-games-on-XP-package and if I run Solitaire the screen goes black from time to time. The frequency increases by time.
Only happens if I run at 1920x1024. Every resolution below that (1600x1200 e.g.) works fine.

I cannot set te refresh rate higher than 60 Hz. Windows states that higher rates aren't supported. Well... I'll look in the manual.

This is properly because your vram is 64MB, so it may have just enoug vram to display your resolution(just because no games are running doent mean the system isnt using any vram) If you're on an AGP card you can look if in your bios there is an setting to raise AGP Aperture Size
More info : http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/43

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:00 pm 
Donator

I don't see how you thought you could play games on a monitor that big with that kind of card... Definitely upgrade to a at least 80-90 dollar card to play any games :P.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:01 pm 
FTP Access

Sometimes I can't even watch movies in fullscreen :D
Well, but before I buy a new graphics card, I can buy a new PC...
So, I'll live with that and someday I'll buy a all-new PC ;)

Still thanks for your help, guys.
And I'll look after that Aperture Size.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:21 pm 
Administrator

First of all make sure you got the proper drivers. Also make sure your monitor has drivers (the .inf definition file) installed. The video card won't allow you to switch to a resolution it doesn't support unless you force it to. Considering you got 64MB of video ram you're either using a very old video card, or an integrated one (IGP) such as Intel GMA or any of the integrated ATI TurboCache models (don't remember the nvidia models atm). It has nothing to do with AGP Aperture Size or DirectX, and since it's a flatscreen it's 60Hz you're supposed to run, unless you spent around $3000 for a 24" that does 100Hz. Old CRT:s uses screen updates higher than 60Hz, but flatscreen monitors uses 60Hz or 75Hz sometimes. But since Windows doesn't allow higher than 60Hz then it's fine.

Also disable all modifications you've done to the video settings. Perhaps you got something that forces the screen to go blank. Since the game is running but you got no video means that DirectX works. But your video card may be outputting a signal your monitor can't understand.

At the very extreme, get a new video card. Running games on a 64MB videocard at 1920x1200 should be a very painful experience. The video card is vastly underpowered for such resolutions in more or less 99.9% of all games. You might run some very old stuff (i.e GLDoom, Duke Nukem 3D with 3D acceleration) with it and very simple DirectX games, but nothing more. As for HD video playback that depends on your CPU since no 64MB video cards support hardware acceleration when decoding mpeg4 streams.

As for the AGP Aperture Size, increasing it will most likely reduce the video performance. This setting is just a way to tell the system that the GPU is allowed to instantly use X MB of system RAM if video RAM is becoming low, sharing the RAM with the computer. Since system RAM is much slower than video RAM the computer will output data to the reserved area as soon as possible. A general rule is, the more onboard video RAM you got the smaller AGP Aperture Size you set. And if you got an integrated GPU this setting will not change any performance, it will be as slow regardless since all video RAM is shared with system RAM.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:01 am 
FTP Access

Thanks for the detailed answer.
Quote:
First of all make sure you got the proper drivers.
I will not install any newer Catalyst unless i re-install Windows (which I'll do in a few weeks I think) because ALWAYS when I tryed to [censored] around with ATI drivers the system was unusable (BSOD etc).
But I think I'll have to update to a newer one because that ATI catalyst makes my Sound(!) stutter. But I don't think if there's any newer for my card as Windows automatically deliveres them with Windows update.
Quote:
Also make sure your monitor has drivers (the .inf definition file) installed.
I did, Windows didn't allow me to go beyond the 1280x1024 from the old monitor without them.
Quote:
The video card won't allow you to switch to a resolution it doesn't support unless you force it to.
I just chose the right-most resolution in the desktop properties dialog.
Quote:
Considering you got 64MB of video ram you're either using a very old video card
It's a ATI Radeon 9000.
Quote:
Also disable all modifications you've done to the video settings.
i.e.?
Quote:
But your video card may be outputting a signal your monitor can't understand.
The screen goes black but stayes online. After some short period of time then it finally does go to standby (sometimes, sometimes not)...
Quote:
Running games on a 64MB videocard at 1920x1200 should be a very painful experience.
I was suprised when I played Unreal Tournament 2004 at the highest settings possible at 1920x1024, worked 100% fine without any stutter etc.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Black screen when trying to run a game        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:32 am 
Donator

Ensign Joe wrote:
ThaI will not install any newer Catalyst unless i re-install Windows (which I'll do in a few weeks I think) because ALWAYS when I tryed to [censored] around with ATI drivers the system was unusable (BSOD etc).

Try unninstalling the old ones restarting and getting the new ones from the site NOT Windows Update, besides windows update puts drivers in optional most of the time so it is not automatic and definitely not as reliable as the site.

Quote:
Running games on a 64MB videocard at 1920x1200 should be a very painful experience.
I was suprised when I played Unreal Tournament 2004 at the highest settings possible at 1920x1024, worked 100% fine without any stutter etc.[/quote]

Your card has direct x8.1 and on chip ram is 64 so it is using your ram ram for vram after it runs out(another bad thing).

Top  Profile