BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 3h, 12m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 6056MB of 11159MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
Recently my Dell Inspiron 1501's charger bit the dust, (someone took it out roughly and bent the pin) this pin is either the + or - on the charger, even though the guy in the store said it is imposable the charger powers the laptop (even with the battery removed) but even though windows says it's connected to AC, it doesn't charge the battery, at boot the bios gives me a warning that there is a improper charger and it won't charge the laptop.

I have one question how is the laptop been powered without a complete electric circuit, there only one explanation I can think of, the pin doesn't supply power it only tells the comp. its a genuine power pack, anyone got any ideas

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:16 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
What may have happened is the pin has been damaged (bent) and its now arcing power across, and when its arcing it won't be "stable" and the laptop is smart enough to detect this. The center pin is 99% of the time the + and the metal on the outside the -. It sounds like the laptop is smart enough not to let it charge the battery in case it causes more damage. I think your best bet would be to buy a new power pack and hope thats all the problem is. If you can, try a friends power supply if the voltage/current rating but most importantly polarity (+ and - the correct way around) are the same/VERY similar. You can check all of these on the power block. The current rating can be higher than yours, but not lower. The voltage must be within 1v of yours. Polarity MUST be correct.

E.G. Mine is:

19v, 3.74A, (-)---(o---(+)

Well, something like that for the polarity symbol, its hard to replicate using keyboard characters. Its very easy to understand, just make sure they match and you'll be fine.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
Is the risk of damage to the laptop if I continue to use the broken charger

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:09 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
mewrox99 wrote:
Is the risk of damage to the laptop if I continue to use the broken charger

Unlikely, but its possible. I'd rather not risk an expensive laptop on a cheap to replace part.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:36 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
have you tried to bend the pin back? I know that when this Acer TravelMate that I had went out thanks to a bad power socket, a simple bending of the internal pin back to the proper place resolved the issue (until the whole jack broke off)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
pizzaboy192 wrote:
have you tried to bend the pin back? ... snip ...(until the whole jack broke off)

Then you risk it falling inside the socket and shorting out. Don't try this. It becomes a fire hazard.

You're better off spending £30/$60 on a new power block than ruining a laptop that costs 8-10x more.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:35 pm 
Donator

Also, avoid generic chargers at all costs unless there is absolutely no geniune chargers available.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
happy dude wrote:
Also, avoid generic chargers at all costs unless there is absolutely no geniune chargers available.

I 2nd that. Generic chargers die quite quickly, and Chinese made generic chargers get really really hot, and I wouldn't trust them to be left alone. Make sure you get a known brand generic charger if you really must get generic, otherwise get genuine.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Debian Linux
Basically the bent pin will be Like Jumper Cables to a car. I have had the same problem. I had four Pins to my charger. Two of them Were the charger, and two of them were the Starter pins. The Starter pins were ripped out, and I was unable to start my computer because number one: My Battery was shot, and the second reason, is that The Top two pins; The red and white, were out of their sockets. So the only way I able to start my laptop, was to put the pins in their sockets, and then start my laptop, then pull them out.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Why would you pull them out in the first place then and then put back in and pulled out again, leave them as there are, if nothing has gone wrong with them leave them.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:25 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
happy dude wrote:

I 2nd that. Generic chargers die quite quickly, and Chinese made generic chargers get really really hot, and I wouldn't trust them to be left alone. Make sure you get a known brand generic charger if you really must get generic, otherwise get genuine.

Yes DO NOT get a Chinese one I have burnt myself picking up one after it had been in use for about 10min and it was its first use. 20min and I am willing to bet it might either have overheated be starting to or set the room on fire.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:21 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
win98 wrote:
Andy wrote:
happy dude wrote:
**SNIPPETY SNIP**

I 4th that. I bought a cheap £3.99 for my old laptop off ebay, it lasted 10 seconds. Got it replaced, lasted 10 mins. Basically I chucked it away and found a cheaper official toshiba charger.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Haunted Laptop Charger        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
yeah, generic chargers are bad news, I know someone who broke a $200 cellphone with one

Top  Profile