BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 14h, 55m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 5670MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Classic Mac software        Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:19 am 
Donator

Firstly, is there a serial terminal app for classic Macs that can use the Text-To-Speech system (Macintalk?) so I can send it some text via the serial port and have it read it out loud?

If not, how do I go about developing software for a classic Mac? I'm fairly familiar with Pascal and I'm getting the hang of C/C++, but what's the best development environment to use?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Classic Mac software        Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:15 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
You may want to check the Low End Mac Vintage Mac mailing lists (they are linked on the LEM site, but I have school, and don't have the time to link them for you.)
If someone else has more time, maybe they can either link you, or just copy\paste the text about software development that can be done on the classic macs

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Classic Mac software        Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
Firstly, is there a serial terminal app for classic Macs that can use the Text-To-Speech system (Macintalk?) so I can send it some text via the serial port and have it read it out loud?
LOL WUT?

how do I go about developing software for a classic Mac? I'm fairly familiar with Pascal and I'm getting the hang of C/C++, but what's the best development environment to use?
It took me forever to remember the name, Macintosh Programmer's Workshop.
I never used it, I know it was the Apple-provided solution for Mac OS programming. I also know it was far outweighed in popularity by MetroWerks' CodeWarrior. That fact alone could mean something :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Classic Mac software        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Professional SP4
Quote:
how do I go about developing software for a classic Mac? I'm fairly familiar with Pascal and I'm getting the hang of C/C++, but what's the best development environment to use?
It took me forever to remember the name, Macintosh Programmer's Workshop.
I never used it, I know it was the Apple-provided solution for Mac OS programming. I also know it was far outweighed in popularity by MetroWerks' CodeWarrior. That fact alone could mean something :?

You can download Macintosh Programmer's Workshop directly from Apple FTP site:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Ches ... /MPW_etc./

BTW, another IDE used for the Macintosh was Symantec C++ (but this one is still commercial and rare to find)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Classic Mac software        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:33 pm 
FTP Access

You can find some development tools for the classic Mac OSes here:

http://machut.valleyofthelights.com/

Top  Profile