BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 7h, 56m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 6065MB of 11137MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
This card came out of a Medical-grade workstation (Siemens). It's PCI and I have 6 of them that I pulled out of older workstations, two installed in each station. The drivers discs supplied with each machine has drivers for all devices inside the computers except this card, which shows up as an "IMAP Device". Ran every single number through google search and went to the Siemens website to get info (in case this is a proprietary card). The support on these machines is out, but I tried to contact support to see if they would tell me anything, no responses whatsoever. Tried hooking these cards up to monitors, nothing shows on the screen (even with PCI video enabled in the BIOS), so I thought maybe a video capture device? I am out of ideas. If anyone has any info, I would be greatful.

Here are three pics to show what the card looks like (they are HUGE, so I apologize ahead of time for the lag for those with slow connections.) Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:51 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Here is my guess:
Its some Xilinx FPGA...
Which means its a semi-programmable board: Its usually not used for monitor display, instead connecting to some medical equipment. I remember something like that coming with an SEM Microscope.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
If you Google "IMAP Device" Hardware you get a few results about "Real Time Object Segmentation and Tracking Algorithm[s]" so, i would have to agree with Frozenport, that it is most likely video capture hardware for a piece of Medical hardware, likely a Microscope, maybe an MRI or CT scanner. Ask your local medical personnel if you really have to know.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:07 pm 
FTP Access

It looks quite similar to Matrox FPGAs, Matrox make professional grade graphics display/editing/rendering equipment. If there are 2 in each unit, I'd suggest they are for super high resolution high speed image rendering, perhaps CT scanning as already said.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:27 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
is that a PowerPc processor i see on the 2nd picture?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:32 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Win 10 64-bit
pizzaboy192 wrote:
is that a PowerPc processor i see on the 2nd picture?

Looks like it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:50 pm 
Donator

Now I wonder what's under that heat sink, maybe Astra can help with that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
QuiescentWonder wrote:
Now I wonder what's under that heat sink, maybe Astra can help with that.

I'll give that a go later on this evening or at the latest, sometime this week. Thanks guys!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:55 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Okay, hooked up this card today and this is all I could find with Astra32:

Underneath that black heatsink towards the front:

Here's what shows up when putting in the chip number:

http://www.analog.com/en/digital-to-ana ... oduct.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
A stupid question, there is an IBM POWERPC chip on there, so should it actually needed to work on an computer?
Maybe it works in a mac.

But also in the program it says:
Siemens MEDICAL solution.

So I would think it is not an videocard, but an card for monitoring something.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
DjRob wrote:
A stupid question, there is an IBM POWERPC chip on there, so should it actually needed to work on an computer?
Maybe it works in a mac.

Well, I pulled this out of a PC (standard Penitum 4 Motherboard w/RD RAMM.) However, the fact that there cards were sitting in the PC's with no drivers in stalled confuses me. The original OS install does not recognize the device, the same goes with the OS restore discs. I wonder is these worked independent of the operating system? Maybe they were their own device, interacting with other cards and just needed the power from the motherboard to run? It sounds silly, but I don't know what else to think. Why would they spend money to develop/have cards put in there, but not install them correctly?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:21 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Perhaps they were outdated cards and they simply didn't install the drivers as they weren't needed? It doesn't make sense that they would work independently without drivers.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:52 pm 
FTP Access

DjRob wrote:
Maybe it works in a mac.

They are not graphics cards per se, they are fpga units used for rendering, probably in realtime, which is why each is basicaly like a mini pc with its own ram, cpu , gpu and operating system. Outside of a lab they are probably useless, and as they are more than likely custom units, finding the software and drivers for them may prove impossible.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OG wrote:
DjRob wrote:
Maybe it works in a mac.

They are not graphics cards per se, they are fpga units used for rendering, probably in realtime, which is why each is basicaly like a mini pc with its own ram, cpu , gpu and operating system. Outside of a lab they are probably useless, and as they are more than likely custom units, finding the software and drivers for them may prove impossible.

That's what I was afraid of...

I just didnt want to throw them away, I wish there was something I could do with them...or someone I could sell them to.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:22 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
ebay? you might find a buyer

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
pizzaboy192 wrote:
ebay? you might find a buyer

I thought about that, but the problem is I still don't know exactly what this device is. How would I title the auction? "Siemens Medical Solutions Device"?

I guess I could sell it as is and put the chip # for the description.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:50 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
if i hadn't already pre-allocated my paycheck, i might pay $30ish just to mess around with it, and to try to tap into its power (F@h would be nice to try, or make an internal Mac inside a PC)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:59 pm 
Administrator

pizzaboy192 wrote:
if i hadn't already pre-allocated my paycheck, i might pay $30ish just to mess around with it, and to try to tap into its power (F@h would be nice to try, or make an internal Mac inside a PC)

Eh, because the card has a PowerPC CPU on it doesn't mean it's a Mac, can run Mac software or even is related hardware-wise to anything close to a Mac. A Mac is much more than just the chip. IBM makes a lot of chips in the PowerPC range, just as Intel makes a lot of x86 CPU:s that will not run Windows. Because I slap an i486 chip in a toaster doesn't mean the toaster will boot Windows... it actually needs a BIOS, RAM, ROM, video circuitry, chipset etc etc...

My guess this card is either, as mentioned, a rendering card of some kind, or it drives special medical equipment. At my brief time in a hospital I saw several xray monitors that were driven by ordinary PC:s, but with special videocards connected directly to a huge digital display.

Are there any markings on the card? Numbers, serial numbers, symbols etc? And I am not talking about any text or ID on any of the chips.

EDIT: I noticed that the card has a DVI input and an output, which suggests it needs an additional video card to run. So my guess it's a pre-processing card, much along the line of old Voodoo2 cards which needed a host video card to function. So this card may very well use an overlay on top of regular video signals to display its own data, which would suggest it's a video processor of some kind. These are used in medical scanning equipment and are usually highly customised. The parallell circuitry on the board suggests this as well, a processor of some kind to do parallel tasks.

Would it be somehow possible to buy one of these from you? I work quite a lot with video pre-processors so it would be interesting to see what it can do.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What is this video/capture card?        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:55 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
Would it be somehow possible to buy one of these from you? I work quite a lot with video pre-processors so it would be interesting to see what it can do.

I will send you one...or two for free. These came with two installed in each machine. Just PM me your address and I'll send them your way first chance I get.

I'm not looking to make something from these, I just want to know what they are and don't want to throw them away if they have another potential use or someone who can use them.

Top  Profile