BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 12h, 26m | CPU: 46% | MEM: 5642MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
hey all

I got an original 1976 1st pressing of "Boston" and a copy of "Third Stage" by Boston as well.

Anyone here into record collecting too?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:50 pm 
Donator

I "would" like collecting vinyl's if I ever had the money. It'd be pretty cool to own vinyl copies of Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:55 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Ahh the classics on vinyl. You can't get much better than Pink Floyd. I'm a digital man myself, so I doubt I'd ever collect them. Its not something that interests me. My friend Dave does have a lot of them though. Well, his Dad does but they're as much his as they are his Dads as they've been in the family a long time.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:57 pm 
Donator

Digital is good and all, but vinyls just sound... more real...
Plus you don't get good album art on an mp3 file...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:26 pm 
FTP Access

If I could get some of the music that I like on vinyl for cheap (I know of one store that sells used Vinyls) I would take the opportunity. However I only have Gary Moore's "Corridors of Power" (and that was only because my father likes Gary Moore).

I do prefer to buy CD's over digital (iTunes/Amazon MP3 etc) so I can have the audio compressed and have the choice of what to do with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
I'm going to get The Dark Side of The Moon 30th Anniversary Edition once I get some cash. It's only like 24 USD. from Amazon. Or maybe I should buy a turntable first. lol. I still don't have one, but I'm buying a Sony one once I get some money.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
im not collector but i have about 25 records, i have few of the inxs albums on vinyl.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
I'm definatley a vinyl fan, but like alot of others, I don't have alot of money. I have maybe 30 records. About half my music is in FLAC format (backups of my CD's) and high-resolution vinyl rips from other people with high-end equipment.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:55 am 
FTP Access

I don't collect records (well, yes I do, lol) I play records! If there's a new release that I really want, I buy the vinyl and it usually contains a digital download for the iPod.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
I started by d/ling a FLAC vinyl rip of "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. I then listened to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 1-5".

I gotta say, it's really relaxing and sounds great off of vinyl vs. my CD version. That LP is on my list. Pink Floyd also helps for when I'm at school and I just need to relax. I have "Wish You Were Here", "The Dark Side of The Moon", "The Wall", and "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" all on CD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
Well I'm a DJ. Have quite a big collection too. I'm not sure you would consider this the same thing though...

Some of the drum and bass i have sounds great. Really well produced. None of this "compressed" [censored] you get on CD's. I'm into electronic music personally. Some of these wacky sounds people make are awesome!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:02 pm 
FTP Access

I got the original pressings of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (1973) and Wish You Were Here (1975).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:43 pm 
im not collecting them, but one of my friends does :p

hes really crazy on those things, he has thousands of them...

thats his latest project:
he uses that recorder and writes the vinyl things on cds (not burning, really writing with scratches!), hes quite a funny guy :P

PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
fascinating, does scrathing the cds actually work?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:59 pm 
inxsfan92 wrote:
fascinating, does scrathing the cds actually work?

yes they do, they even got nearly the same quality then the original vinyls. :)

edit: of course on they dont work on a pc, but you can play them with a record player.

PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:55 pm 
Donator

I have a really scratched up copy of The Wall and DSOTM somewhere and a nearly perfect copy of Bridge over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel. Someone got ahold of the master tapes from the original Alan Parson's quad-mix of DSOTM and made it into a proper high-quality DVD which you can find floating around the Internet. If only we could get a good copy of Wish You Were here in surround.

I have Wish You Were Here and Umma Gumma on CD, I try to keep all my digital copies of Pink Floyd in FLAC... if only my car stereo would play them!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
Namronia wrote:

he uses that recorder and writes the vinyl things on cds (not burning, really writing with scratches!), hes quite a funny guy :P

Wow I'm interested, do you have any more information/links on this thing?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:36 am 
damian wrote:
Namronia wrote:

Wow I'm interested, do you have any more information/links on this thing?

actually no, he build it himself so theres no links, but when he comes online next time i can ask him for more information.

PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
hell yeah record collecting....if we could talk about this all day long i would be in heaven....am a dj (no kiddin) and i started collecting vinyl back around 90 or so when i got my first set of turntables...i still have my turntables, now i got 4 technics 1200's and just got a new Vestax 08pro a few days ago...i have collected about 5000 albums over the years now what seems to be about 40 crates of wax (as i call it) piled in the studio

people that know me very well know that i would live and die for my record collection which includes tuns of hard to find if not impossible to find things, you'll find a nice mix of everything in my crates but its mostly all old skool hiphop and i still play records everyday, not many people collect records anymore, most people are in to these new CD dj thingies, which i have zero time or love for (sorry CD dj's) i grew up in a time when grandmasterflash and kool herc was spinning records not cd's and block parties were all about lugging your crates to parties not little cd wallets...anyways....

my mom still thinks its all funny and from time to time she tries to figure out what um doing with all those records and my GF thinks i am crazy but after 18 years of collecting what can you expect....and on that note i have to check UPS to see when my friggin records are coming.... :P

for those that still collect...keep on keeping on!

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
I do have some vinyl lying around, mostly stuff my mom bought years ago (The Beatles Box, The Waterboys, ABBA, ELO etc.), I've decided to rather spend money on hi-fi speakers and amplifiers instead, as well as a decent sound-card.

Right now I mainly listen on my Klipsch B-3 speakers powered by a Opera-Consonance a100 II 80W hybrid amplifier, and I'll probably buy this headset-amplifier I'm testing out over easter.

The Asus Xonar D2X sound card is also one of the best DACs you can get inside a computer.

QuiescentWonder wrote:
If only we could get a good copy of Wish You Were here in surround.

I have surround versions of Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Division Bell and The Wall as multi-channel FLAC files.

I'm not sure exactly where they came from -- they're commonly distributed as DTS CDs (it's a safe bet that most of them were released as SACDs or DVD-Audio), you need programs like foobar2000 or a surround receiver to decode them.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I have a load of LPs and EPs, but I collect 78s because some of my favourite performers only/mainly recorded 78s.

At the moment, I'm looking for a proper gramophone.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
My collection is my grandparents' disks (all Italian), my Aunt's disks (stuff from the 60s), and a few disks other people have given me.
Needless to say, It's not that big of a collection

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:27 pm 
Sorry for bumping, but he developed his "write vinyl scratches on CD"-device :P

Here is his latest picture of it:

PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Namronia wrote:

That... looks like some job. I'd love to write my on records, I wonder how it works?

Anyway laying around here are a large amount of Status Quo singles and LP albums, as well as ELO and a few others, mostly my parent's stuff, which is occasionally played on the old "music centre" for the sake of doing it :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anybody here like to collect vinyl records?        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:01 pm 
compact-mac wrote:
Namronia wrote:

That... looks like some job. I'd love to write my on records, I wonder how it works?

Anyway laying around here are a large amount of Status Quo singles and LP albums, as well as ELO and a few others, mostly my parent's stuff, which is occasionally played on the old "music centre" for the sake of doing it :P

I have no idea how it works at all, sorry. I just that that it works :P