BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 20h, 36m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 6015MB of 10915MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:13 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I have an IBM NetVista MiniTower system, with a Penitum 3 800mhz processor, 256MB SDRam, 20+40gb WD Caviar IDE Disks, and an IDE CD-RW Drive.
When I try and install Windows XP, it will copy all files, and is able to read the CD just fine, but when it restarts, it attempts to read the HDD, and then reboots. If I boot off another HDD from a different NetVista installation (Win9x) it boots fine. When I boot off my drive in my IBM Personal Computer 300GL desktop machine, it also boots XP fine.
It doesn't boot Linux real well, seeing as it doesn't have enough ram to boot the Live disk (yet, when I take down my old Fileserver, and replace it with this, then it will have 512mb)

I am wondering why it would act like this, any help is appreciated.

other info:
Bios date: Sometime in 2000, I know there is a bios update for it, I just need to be pointed to it.
Model #:6270-n3u
Serial #:FB1B1CZ
Installed Devices: INTEL 10\100 Lan card
Available add-on cards to use in this system: Intel IDE Raid card, Multiple Lan Cards

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:30 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
It sounds like it could be an incompatibility with the hard disk and that motherboard. Have you got another hard disk you can try? It seems odd that it would just reboot. Do you get a BSOD before it reboots or is it a straight reboot without warning?

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I'd said it either what Andy is saying or hard drive is completely broken.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:59 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I tested a few other HDDs and on all of them, it would reboot after reading the disk, one time it crashed while trying to load the xp loading screen, so all you see is a grayed out version of it... if that helps any

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:30 pm 
Donator

Do hard drive installs of a linux os work?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:37 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
nope, i have a feeling a bios update shall fix it... just found io on Lenovo's website... now i just need to find a floppy drive

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:53 pm 
Donator

If that doesnt work it is your motherboard. Good luck :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:22 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I downloaded the bios update, and installed it to a floppy disk, but the friggin thing won't boot off the floppy

I did also get a BSOD, 0x0000000a or something along those lines

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:09 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Ubuntu 8.04 gives me a kernel panic
Slax crashes
win 2k crashes
win9x crashes

I know the processor is fine, i used it on a few other systems throughout the years... does anyone know if there is a way to change the way the processor acts in the bios?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
Sounds like failing memory to me. Since you have an Ubuntu disc, run the Memory Test (in the boot menu), and report your results. Honestly, I'm nearly 100% certain that you have bad memory.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:30 pm 
Donator

As well as that BIOS updates never hurt if you perform em right so doing that will mean that you will have the most compatibility you can for that system.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:48 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I tested the ram in a seperate system, and it booted just fine... until... I started the Ubuntu 8.04 live disk, and it ran without any problems, so i shut it down, planning on retrying it after eating some food. I come back, and press the power button... nothing... toggle the switch on the PSU, nada... Check the power cables, still nothing...
any reason for this to happen?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
dead power supply?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:24 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I kinda guessed that. Doing a bit of calculating, i had put too much stress on that old PSU, a 1.8ghz athlon on a sempron board, with 4x IDE drives was probably too much for a 180W psu

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: IBM NetVista MiniTower Windows XP Install Problem        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 pm 
Donator

Look at the capacitors, maybe they're leaking? If that's the case the motherboard is junk. You could try taking out the battery, then while it's unplugged hold down the power button for 3-4 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on. Then shut it off and replace the battery.

For future reference, if your computer is randomly crashing no matter what you do, flashing the BIOS is probably a really bad idea, especially on a machine that old. If something were to happen while it was in the process of updating the BIOS your board would probably be garbage.

Make sure you haven't crushed the IDE cable, it's really easy to do in these cases. If it's the ones I'm thinking of I've done it at least three times. You might also test the RAM, sometimes the XP setup won't use that much memory during install but then you go to boot and some bad RAM with just make the machine crash randomly over and over and occasionally you'll end up with corrupt files.

Top  Profile