BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 11h, 57m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5277MB of 10559MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:02 am 
Hello,

First post!

Because there is a bug in Aero and the WDDM specification. Windows Vista RC1 and above is broken and cannot support intel gma 900 cards. I am really against going back to XP because I hated its lego brick theme with a passion. Soo.. I was wondering what you guys find to be the most usable version of vista beta?
It takes me quite a while to find and download due to my slow internet so I thought I would get some advice so not to waste time trying out lots of different ones.

Any suggestions?

As I recall, the one with the keynote grass looked pretty good. Also betas which are possible to crack are preferable because I aim to use this as my main OS.

My previous rant on WDDM and its "rough edges" can be found here :)
http://defcon5.biz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1191&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Thanks all!

Karsten

PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
Awhile back I had the same idea, to use a Longhorn beta (well, alpha really) as a main OS. It sounded cool, but after awhile it proved too buggy for everyday use (for me anyway). But if you must I would say 4074, 0r one of the 3xxx series of builds (you'd have to ask someone else about those, as I really can't remember). I myself would use Windows XP, and turn the Luna theme off.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:45 am 
Donator

Or use windows 7 with the sdk to enable the Directwhatever that allows the cpu to do the the theme if i remember properly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
What do you mean by usable? Do you mean most stable?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:40 am 
zamadatix wrote:
Or use windows 7 with the sdk to enable the Directwhatever that allows the cpu to do the the theme if i remember properly.

That sounds very interesting! I typed "Directwhatever" into google and didn't find much of value. Do you have any more information on this? I have tried an awful lot of cracks to enable this theme coz vista / win7 looks so damn ugly without but none work on newer versions. I do have the sdk installed.

Ideally I need the OS to be relatively stable so I can use it for day to day messing about. I also need it to be usable in the way that it has all the tools and utilities to maintain the OS such as disk defrag etc... Also a good driver support would be nice!

I will look into 4074 then.

Can anyone remember what build has the keynote grass wallpaper.. that did look very nice.. was it some 5xxx build?

Ideally I would still use windows 2000 (or neptune) but they dont support high definition audio bus drivers so I dont get any sound (usb memory sticks are buggered in neptune 5111 :p)

PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
I too would still be using Windows 2000, if it weren't for my video card.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:54 am 
Yeah, Windows 2000 is the classic OS :)

For some reason Vista simply cannot pull off the standard theme. Shame lol

Looking through the large selection of screenshots on this site looking for the version of longhorn I used to have, I found this one...

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/screenshot ... 0Stars.jpg

Looks better than the current vista imo (simpler). Its also the 4074 like I was suggested to use. So I will probably have a go at downloading this one.

Does anyone know if this "look" is on by default.. or is the aero feature hidden in this release?

Then its just a case of spending a night with OllyDbg and winlogon :)

PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
That's not available in LH 4074 by default. You'll need a patch called Longhorn '08.

I can't remember where to get it though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:29 am 
Donator

zamadatix wrote:

Care to elaborate? My AMD boxen featuring no hard drive doesn't have a suitable gfx card and I'm not laying money down on AGP ... *shudders*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:16 pm 
Donator

Longhorn as a main OS, bad idea.
Not only is it just as unstable as when Microsoft decided it was so unstable that they needed to start from scratch, but now its missing over four years of updates and patches.
You want somthing different that you can use as a main OS with flashy transparency, try playing around with linux for a while.

ADD: That said, 3718, 4074, 5112.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:23 pm 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
Care to elaborate? My AMD boxen featuring no hard drive doesn't have a suitable gfx card and I'm not laying money down on AGP ... *shudders*

Why would the cpu doing the theme have anything to do with a graphics card?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:40 pm 
J.Byrne wrote:
try playing around with linux for a while.

Ah, I have a love hate relationship with linux (It loves itsef, I hate it lol)

I cannot use linux as a main OS on this laptop because (for one I already have it as a main os on my workstation (RHEL5) so I would get sick of it :p) but I also need it to run the ubiquous win32 applications and I am sure even a beta windows will run them better than they ran in wine.

zamadatix wrote:

By getting the cpu to do the theme, no longer will it check if the gfx card is wddm supported so it might work.

I also half understand your point in the way that any sodding gfx card should be able to run the theme haha. My intel 900 only doesnt because it has no hardware scheduler which is completely unreleated to the transparency effects... but alas Microsoft forbids the creation of wddm drivers :(
The beta however did allow the theme to work without wddm certification thus this thread :)

PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:50 am 
Donator

kpedersen wrote:
zamadatix wrote:

By getting the cpu to do the theme, no longer will it check if the gfx card is wddm supported so it might work.

It would not use the graphics card at all...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:56 am 
yeps.. and as far as I know, there is no such thing as a WDDM driver for a processor so hopefully the processor will "be allowed to" render Aero

PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:47 am 
Donator

My understanding is that it is a driver that uses the CPU for rendering instead of a GPU. And since it comes from Microsoft and can use Directx11 graphics (or play crysis) I imagine it draws borders around windows. Besides if it is not in it now it will be by the final release.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most usable version of Longhorn?        Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4044/7700/7950/8888
Longhorn 4074 was good but little instable, some crash... but lookin good, the blue theme was magic, i like the start button.

Top  Profile  WWW