BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 18h, 7m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 5570MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Virtualization OS        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
Just a question. I heard there was an OS being created for the soul purpose of running other OS's on top. For example you turn your computer on and windows and Linux both boot at once pressing a shortcut key can switch between the two.

Is this correct? I couldn't find any information about it. Probably not.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Virtualization OS        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
I've not heard of this, but it is something I've wondered very much about.

The way I had envisioned it would be that it would be a hardware technology (an extension of virtualisation technology?) probably replacing the BIOS that would allow two separate operating systems to run side by side on the same machine.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Virtualization OS        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
Yeah I have always thought about that myself. There isn't really anything limiting this. Maybe just no-one's thought of it.

Maybe if a bios chip was big enough we could install virtualbox onto the linuxbios. Who knows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Virtualization OS        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:45 pm 
FTP Access

Hang on, didn't there used to be something like this years ago. I can't remember the name of it now, it may come back to me, in about 2 weeks, at 4 in the morning.

Edit: I remember, HyperOS.

Quote:
HyperOs 10PCs-In-1 clones and runs several copies of 2K or XP or XP64 or Vista32 or Vista64 or Server 2008, all on the same drive letter, all in the same partition. Again you swap from one to the other with a double click. This is multi Windows computing without having to repartition your disk.

http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Virtualization OS        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
A bit of the same:

Microsoft Hyper V 2008
VMWare ESX Server

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Virtualization OS        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:21 pm 
FTP Access

"Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 Beta" (the new version of Microsoft Hyper-V Server OS) was just released a day or two ago and is pretty much exactly what you described - a command prompt with Virtualisation managing tools and nothing else. Close to Server 2008 Core in that sense, only with even more removed (2K8 Core could, for example, run most messenger apps if you pushed it - the GUI-related parts are pretty much entirely gone from H-V Server OS though so no luck now) and x64 only.

To be honest though, there isn't *that* much of a benefit for most people over running regular 2K8 with H-V, since both VMware and VPC support hardware virtualisation now.

Edit: I could swear I linked to it earlier, doh.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en
Does not require a license or activation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Virtualization OS        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:19 pm 
FTP Access

I suppose I could see the point of having an OS for the sole purpose of virtualization if you're a developer of if it can be used over a network. But it doesn't seem ideal to use this as a main setup. I wouldn't dream of running a virtualized OS all the time. Too much of a speed penalty for things like playing games and such.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Virtualization OS        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:01 am 
FTP Access

Was just wondering does Hyper V run the virtual OS's on the real machine hardware or does it just use virtual hardwre like VMware etc

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Virtualization OS        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
Ambig wrote:
I suppose I could see the point of having an OS for the sole purpose of virtualization if you're a developer of if it can be used over a network. But it doesn't seem ideal to use this as a main setup. I wouldn't dream of running a virtualized OS all the time. Too much of a speed penalty for things like playing games and such.

your correct about speed but its the perfect setup for surfing the net, surf the net with a vm of linux and you windows should stay healthy for longer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Virtualization OS        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
OG wrote:
Hang on, didn't there used to be something like this years ago. I can't remember the name of it now, it may come back to me, in about 2 weeks, at 4 in the morning.

Edit: I remember, HyperOS.

Quote:
HyperOs 10PCs-In-1 clones and runs several copies of 2K or XP or XP64 or Vista32 or Vista64 or Server 2008, all on the same drive letter, all in the same partition. Again you swap from one to the other with a double click. This is multi Windows computing without having to repartition your disk.

http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

I actually have ISOs of HyperOS 2002,2003 and 2004 but this may be considered warez. However I know that the company does not sell 2002/2003 any more so maybe it is abandoneware. 2004 i believe is warez.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile