BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 9h, 44m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5754MB of 10588MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
So, they tell me that the next step in my young adult life is to obtain a post-secondary school education.

I applied to ten schools, all of them in the Northeastern United States. (I live in the Northeast, so no wonder!)

I got into five schools so far, waitlisted at one, and still waiting on the remaining four.

So, here is how it is looking so far:

University of Massachusetts Boston - Accepted, with full scholarship
University of Massachusetts Amherst - Accepted, with Honors
Suffolk University - Accepted
Northeastern University - Accepted
Babson College - Accepted
Brandeis University - Waitlisted
Boston University - Unknown, most likely Accepted
Boston College - Unknown, possibly Rejected/Waitlisted
Tufts University - Unknown, most likely Rejected
Harvard University - Unknown, most likely Rejected

I wished I had applied to the University of Virginia and the University of Chicago to round out things a little more, but I didn't, so if I strongly dislike where I am attending next year, I will transfer.

And also... I applied to all of the undergraduate business programs/schools (if the school offered it).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
I see... I'm still in high school (I'm a freshman) but my fate will be similar to yours. I live in the West Coast of the US, so the schools I'll be applying to are one of the 10 campuses of University of California, or some private University like Stanford, Cornell, Cal Tech, etc. Hopefully, I get into UC Berkeley or UCLA (acceptance rate is only 20% for both!)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Western New England College accepted with Honors and 15.2K merit
UMASS Amherst accepted with Honors
Chestnut Hill College accepted with 15K merit.
Those are the only ones I applied to.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Thlump wrote:
I see... I'm still in high school (I'm a freshman) but my fate will be similar to yours. I live in the West Coast of the US, so the schools I'll be applying to are one of the 10 campuses of University of California, or some private University like Stanford, Cornell, Cal Tech, etc. Hopefully, I get into UC Berkeley or UCLA (acceptance rate is only 20% for both!)

Ah, I see. I have a friend who is applying to nothing but schools in California. She got into UCLA, UC Irvine, USC, and a few other places...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:57 am 
FTP Access

Nice list of schools there. :D

I went a complete different route, I'm getting my Associates degree at Portland Community college and then transferring to Oregon Institute of Technology. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Update: Got a nice fat acceptance packet from Boston College. Thought I didn't get in, but I did!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:55 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Congrats!

Recently, I meet two Harvard freshmens in a meeting. They told me that you don't need perfect grades/test or exam scores. They said that Harvard will consider you if you show you have a passion and are willing to commit or pursuit it. Work ethics and positive attitude also helps :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Thanks! I just got into Boston University, too.

Two schools left - Tufts, Harvard, but getting admitted into these schools is such a crapshoot that I'm just going to wait until the official decisions come out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:24 am 
FTP Access

I love how no one ever considered the University of Michigan, one of the nation's top-ranked universities, when applying to college...any reasons why?

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
troyoda1990 wrote:
I love how no one ever considered the University of Michigan, one of the nation's top-ranked universities, when applying to college...any reasons why?
... because I'd rather stay somewhat near home, and considering I live in Massachusetts, it doesn't really fit the bill.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:21 pm 
nickenzi wrote:
troyoda1990 wrote:
... because I'd rather stay somewhat near home, and considering I live in Massachusetts, it doesn't really fit the bill.

Spend a weekend in Ann Arbor and you'll completely forget about home. Probably the best place to live that I know of.

Then again, I'm from Michigan so I'm pretty biased.

I'm finishing up my undergrad work and just starting to think about grad school. I don't think I'm competitive enough for many respectable Ph.D programs in Clinical psych, but I shouldn't have any trouble getting into a decent masters program in either Clinical psych or Counseling psych.

And maybe, if I luck out, I'll someday be at the Adler School of Professional Psychology.

PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:51 pm 
Donator

I have family in Ann Arbor and my mom works there, it is ok but... eh go somewhere warm ;).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Update: I was waitlisted by Tufts and rejected by Harvard.

Rejection letter, via email:

Quote:
Mr. (First name) (Last name)
(Address)

Dear Mr. (Last name),

I am very sorry to inform you that it is not possible to offer you admission to the Class of 2013. I wish I were writing to report a different decision, but the competition was so rigorous this year that there were many outstanding young men and women to whom we could not offer places in the class.

Over twenty-nine thousand students, a record number, applied to the entering class. The great majority of the applicants could certainly have been successful here academically, and most candidates presented strong personal and extracurricular credentials as well. The Committee was, therefore, faced with the necessity of choosing a class from a great many more talented and highly qualified students than it had room to admit.

We wish it were possible for us to admit more of our fine applicants, and we understand how difficult the college application process can be for students and their families. While the Committee conducted its deliberations with the utmost care, we know that no one can predict with certainty what an individual will accomplish during college or beyond. Past experience suggests that the particular college a student attends is far less important than what the student does to develop his or her strengths and talents over the next four years.

We very much appreciate the interest you have shown in Harvard College. We hope that you will accept the best wishes of the Committee for success in all your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

William R. Fitzsimmons
Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
XX55XX wrote:
Update: I was waitlisted by Tufts and rejected by Harvard.

Rejection letter, via email:

Quote:
Mr. (First name) (Last name)
(Address)

Dear Mr. (Last name),

I am very sorry to inform you that it is not possible to offer you admission to the Class of 2013. I wish I were writing to report a different decision, but the competition was so rigorous this year that there were many outstanding young men and women to whom we could not offer places in the class.

Over twenty-nine thousand students, a record number, applied to the entering class. The great majority of the applicants could certainly have been successful here academically, and most candidates presented strong personal and extracurricular credentials as well. The Committee was, therefore, faced with the necessity of choosing a class from a great many more talented and highly qualified students than it had room to admit.

We wish it were possible for us to admit more of our fine applicants, and we understand how difficult the college application process can be for students and their families. While the Committee conducted its deliberations with the utmost care, we know that no one can predict with certainty what an individual will accomplish during college or beyond. Past experience suggests that the particular college a student attends is far less important than what the student does to develop his or her strengths and talents over the next four years.

We very much appreciate the interest you have shown in Harvard College. We hope that you will accept the best wishes of the Committee for success in all your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

William R. Fitzsimmons
Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid

Did you know that they have these letters under a push of a button ready to send on the computer?
They just need to fill in some last details.

But too bad you didn't into harvard, from what I heared it is a great uni.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone else applying to college/university?        Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Bleh... I knew I wasn't getting in anyways. A girl at my school managed it, though. I'm happy for her.

Now, it's BU vs. BC. I'm going to their open houses for admitted students later this month.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]