BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 50d, 14h, 20m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 6613MB of 11280MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: USB Weirdness        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:47 am 
Donator

Not so much support, just need a fresh perspective to a problem I'm having.

Whenever I plug a USB flash storage device into my computer it waits 5 seconds then freezes (First time took me by surprise, haven't really had a PC freeze on me since the 9X era) my current OS is Windows XP Professional SP3 x86. At first I figured hardware conflict, I've been trying various peripheral combination's to no avail. Switched back to an Ethernet connection as opposed to my USB connection, no improvement.
I'd like to do two things: A) Re-Install my OS, that pretty much solves everything and B) Open up my case to make sure everything is as it should be. Unfortunately I've got way to much work at the moment to do either.
I'm still doubtful that it's a hardware prob though, as the problem effects all the USB ports on my PC and connected devices still have power. I'd assume it was a prob with the OS or something like that, but a bit over a month ago I had a similar problem, only with occasional freezing, that time I was running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x86, I assumed it was a Vista hardware/driver prob as I'd also been getting a lot of BSOD's from a Realtek driver. After the Vista Install I Installed Ubuntu, which was great except it had a lot of trouble mounting USB flash drives.

So yeah, thoughts? ideas?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: USB Weirdness        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:03 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
What is the brand of your Motherboard\system?
Does this happen with any USB device, or just one?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: USB Weirdness        Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:38 am 
Donator

Old Acer machine, all external storage devices, on XP and now, also server 2K3.
Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Fedora are all incapable of even detecting USB devices, 2 clean installations hasn't solved it.
It's really starting to be a problem, I'd use the restore disc that came with my computer, to make sure it's not a driver prob, but all that does is re-image Disk 0 Partition 1, which is currently the partition I keep all my personal files on, which I can't make a backup of because I can't access any external storage devices.
I don't really have the time to install Vista now, in fact typing this post is really cutting into my time...

Few more details:
The computer freezes exactly 5 seconds after an external device is connected.
The only USB devices currently connected to this PC are a standard USB keyboard and mouse.
This problem is prevelant on clean installs of both XP x86 SP3 and 2K3 SP2 x86
As said, all of the Linux live CD's I've tried (all debian based) have failed to detect any USB external storage devices when connected to the PC.
Occasionally device manager shows that one of my USB ports is ready for a USB storage device to be removed, but there isn't a device plugged in.

So yeah, anyone have any ideas?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: USB Weirdness        Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:49 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
A model number would help greatly, but I feel that you may either need special drivers to get the USB controller working (hence the problems with Linux flavors too) or you have a bad USB controller
The 5 seconds seems like the average polling time of USB devices for NT5 based systems (I used to change it to 15 seconds on my Laptop to save power)
The reason that the Keyboard and Mouse work is because the BIOS is emulating them as a PS\2 style device, probably under the option "USB Legacy Devices" and changing a few settings in the BIOS for USB could fix them.
Did this start happening after installing any new PCI or PCI Express cards, or any sort of hardware that would use more resources?

I have seen this only one other time, and as it turned out, one of the ports would short out at startup, but since it had 2 controllers for front and back ports, only one controller would stop functioning. I don't think this could be your problem unless one of the ports broke by having hardware removed improperly. Installing a USB card, and disabling that controller in Windows fixed my problem, but I don't know if this would fix your problem.

HtH-Pizza

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: USB Weirdness        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:43 am 
Donator

Opened up my case today, made sure everything was as it should be, cleaned up my CPU fan and replaced that lithuim battery the computer uses to store time, after all that the USB problems seem to have stopped.

Top  Profile