BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 5h, 50m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 5580MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: About a couple of recent posts I made        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
It seems I have 'humiliated' the OSBG in something I said in a recent post, so I would like to offer my sincerest apologies to any members the said group for anything I have said that has not been truthful or which has genuinely been offensive. I made a complete effort to only speak the truth to the best of my knowledge, and to make it as clear as I could when I spoke my mind. I would also like to apologize to anyone here at BA who saw my messages as offensive or inappropriate: particularly to Andy and mrpijey, who as Administrators had to create a rule forbidding the mentioning of a specific Microsoft project because of the reaction my thoughts had.

I have never wished to initiate or perpetuate any hostilities; I only wished to ask for proof of what Maria-chan was claiming.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope that you will accept my apologies.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: About a couple of recent posts I made        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:21 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
No apology is needed, however we did have to ban the discussion of legitimacy of earlier Chicago builds for the simple reason there is far too much conflict of information to allow a civil discussion. This doesn't stop you discussing its features or anything like that, it just prevents you discussing the legitimacy of its existence.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: About a couple of recent posts I made        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:06 am 
Donator

Quote:
No apology is needed, however we did have to ban the discussion of legitimacy of earlier Chicago builds for the simple reason there is far too much conflict of information to allow a civil discussion. This doesn't stop you discussing its features or anything like that, it just prevents you discussing the legitimacy of its existence.

:D That's a relief! All this time I thought ALL discussion of Chicago, Neptune, Odyssey and Nashville (I think those are the ones) was banned!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: About a couple of recent posts I made        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:21 am 
Donator

It's bloody software.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: About a couple of recent posts I made        Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Am I the only one of the opinion that this new rule is absolutely ridiculous? Have we reached the point where we're not going discuss a certain piece of software because it causes a debate? Can we not discuss anything anymore? Am I not allowed to have a different opinion than you? Can I not provide evidence to back my opinion? In my humble opinion, this is an egregious abuse of power.
When we can't discuss a piece of software, that's when we should be nervous.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: About a couple of recent posts I made        Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:56 am 
Administrator

Derf wrote:
Am I the only one of the opinion that this new rule is absolutely ridiculous? Have we reached the point where we're not going discuss a certain piece of software because it causes a debate? Can we not discuss anything anymore? Am I not allowed to have a different opinion than you? Can I not provide evidence to back my opinion? In my humble opinion, this is an egregious abuse of power.

Well apparently you have not been paying enough attention, or you have been lucky enough to avoid all the troubles in the past...

We are not trying to stop members from having an opinion. But it's a known fact across BA and other beta forums, past and present, that discussions regarding the origins and whatifs of older Chicago builds (and also Nashville and other unreleased codename builds) has caused a great deal of stress and unbalance in the community. So much in fact that it has several times shut down these communities, driven away good and honest members and even risked the shutdown of BetaArchive itself. People can take only so much stress, and when some community members take on a holy quest to bring down an entire community just to get their point across then it's quite serious and gone too far. These individuals don't have any regard for the community as a whole and they do not care about innocent members that only want to peacefully discuss and hang out. All they care about is to get their point of view forced upon others, and they use any means to do it. Faking accounts, faking identities, spamming forums and emails, creating fake evidence, threatening people, revealing members identities (even if the mentioned members chose to be anonymous) in a forceful way, you name it. If this were a real world situation it would have been classed as terrorism at worst. A minority group trying to force their views and beliefs upon the majority with the means of violence.

Fortunately this isn't the real world, and no physical damage is done except for software damage and mental unease. But it still brings down communities over quite insignificant and pointless matters. And I know you don't want that. This is why we had to put a ban on specific topics, time has proven that every time it's being discussed it causes a situation where everything is out of balance and risks destroying everything we hold dear.

In that regard we chose to ban the specific topic instead of allowing this to happen. And all in all, it's a quite unimportant topic anyway. We are not banning you from discussing this outside the forum, but for the sake of peace and stability in this and other forums we urge members to consider the implications before discussing anything sensitive. Use common sense, be mature and don't fall into childish behavior. This way BA will be known as a forum where renegade topics don't rampage out of control, but instead is discussed in a rational and peaceful way. We don't like banning topics, but it for the good of everyone.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: About a couple of recent posts I made        Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:01 am 
FTP Access

Most other forums would ban the troublemaker/s, not the topic.

Not being allowed to discuss what many here consider thier favorite subject appears to punish all for the trouble caused by a few.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: About a couple of recent posts I made        Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:21 am 
Donator

Derf wrote:

It's like Dear Andy all over again!

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]