BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 18d, 18h, 19m | CPU: 63% | MEM: 5741MB of 11885MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

What is your User Account Control (UAC) setting?
Disable (vista)/ Never notify (Windows 7) 50%  50%  [ 29 ]
Notify... do not dim desktop (Windows 7) 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Notify only when programs... (Windows 7) 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
Enable (vista)/ Always notify (Windows 7) 24%  24%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 58
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:28 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
untitled wrote:
It took some time for Microsoft to implement an equivalent to su, but I'm glad they did. Since Windows is a distribution that focuses a lot on usability any security feature will be hard to implement. This is because you often have to sacrifice user friendliness in order to increase security.

example: a router without security (no password or any authentication mechanism for that matter) would be much more user friendly than a router that required the user to type in a 20+ letter password.

Most Windows users are using an administrative account as their default. This enables malware to control you machine, since all privileges are granted through the users administrative account.

Switching back and forth between a regular (less privileged) user and an administrative account can't be considered very user friendly. To enable regular users to install software you have to implement some sort of feature which grants administrative permission to one specific action of application, in Microsoft's case UAC.

I'm not sure how you could improve the usability much further without sacrificing security. And even the UAC implementation can not be considered fool proof, since malware has been spotted that imitate the UAC password input dialog to fool the user into supplying the administrative password, thus defeating the purpose of the UAC.

/untitled

I'd say you hit the nail right on the head with that one.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:15 pm 
FTP Access

UAC enabled for me (Vista), I just disabled Secure Desktop :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:49 am 
Donator

I used to think UAC was an annoying, unecessary component of Windows, and I disabled it.

HOWEVER!

We are now deploying Windows 7 where I work, and it has been a GODSEND. Kids are very...curious and we often find they tryt to get into places they shouldn't. There is nothing more satisfying to here the "doo-doomp" followed by a groan of frustration.

Yes, i'm horrible, I thrive off student suffering :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
One that isn't broken
I keep it at the default setting in Windows 7 because I rarely uninstall or change programs. I might disable it next time I do a reinstall to help speed the installs up though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows Whistler 2202
User Account Control (UAC) is a mistake, it's the worst Security ever, but Microsoft thinks it's good. I disabled it.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
rayle wrote:
We are now deploying Windows 7 where I work, and it has been a GODSEND. Kids are very...curious and we often find they tryt to get into places they shouldn't. There is nothing more satisfying to here the "doo-doomp" followed by a groan of frustration.

Lucky students! They get tom use 7. We're still using XP (and I'm starting to dislike XP for some reason ).
But I still think your post is funny :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
One that isn't broken
Corpse wrote:
User Account Control (UAC) is a mistake, it's the worst Security ever, but Microsoft thinks it's good. I disabled it.

What makes it the worst thing ever?

ReactOS wrote:
rayle wrote:

Lucky students! They get tom use 7. We're still using XP (and I'm starting to dislike XP for some reason ).
We still have some XP Machines. The annoying thing is trying to whack the windows to the side and seing them not resize like they do on Windows 7.

I've changed my vote. I'm now running several virtual machines so I'm disabling services to increase the overall speed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
bob_george33 wrote:
Corpse wrote:

What makes it the worst thing ever?

ReactOS wrote:
rayle wrote:

We still have some XP Machines. The annoying thing is trying to whack the windows to the side and seing them not resize like they do on Windows 7.

I've changed my vote. I'm now running several virtual machines so I'm disabling services to increase the overall speed.

It's the worst Security Feature Microsoft has ever made! It annoyed the hell out of me when I used it, & it's meant to help & secure your PC? What a bunch of bs. It's really annoying.

Why you disliking Windows XP? I love it better than Windows Vista or Windows 7. I love the interface of Windows Vista & Windows 7, but I just hate that Coal-Black look of it. But I love the Windows XP Royal Theme better. I like some aspects of Windows Vista & Windows 7 better than Windows XP, but they still don't count as my Favorite Operating System.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:15 pm 
Donator

Sorry Corpse, but you are trolling. Please post fact, WHY it is bad. You only post nonsense because you simply don't understand UAC. That's your problem. YOUR missing knowledge is the only thing which is bad, not UAC.

use your XP and create a new user account and move the user to the users group. Now, do everything which triggers a UAC prompt in Vista and look what you get under XP :P

So, next time, read articles and learn how things are working, instead of trolling around like a 5 years old child.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
Corpse wrote:
Why you disliking Windows XP? I love it better than Windows Vista or Windows 7. I love the interface of Windows Vista & Windows 7, but I just hate that Coal-Black look of it. But I love the Windows XP Royal Theme better. I like some aspects of Windows Vista & Windows 7 better than Windows XP, but they still don't count as my Favorite Operating System.

I dislike Windows XP because.... well, I really have no reason for it other than I like using Vista-only controls and styles in my programs. I also have noticed that Windows 7 seems faster on a good pc than Windows XP is on the same computer.

As for the themes: There are already plenty of awesome themes for vista and 7, and there are a few that are similar to Royale or Luna.(I'm still waiting for a decent Whistler Watercolor-style theme though :P)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Luckie wrote:
Sorry Corpse, but you are trolling. Please post fact, WHY it is bad. You only post nonsense because you simply don't understand UAC. That's your problem. YOUR missing knowledge is the only thing which is bad, not UAC.

use your XP and create a new user account and move the user to the users group. Now, do everything which triggers a UAC prompt in Vista and look what you get under XP :P

So, next time, read articles and learn how things are working, instead of trolling around like a 5 years old child.

No, I'm not trolling! How am I trolling for saying User Account Control is crap? Why it's crap: It pops up unexpectedly, Users don't need it, it doesn't allow certain Programs, it stops you from getting into most things, it sometimes won't let you do your own stuff, Microsoft thinks User Account Control is your ally when it's actually your enemy & don't you know what it means by User Account CONTROL?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:47 pm 
Donator

set up XP and run a limited user account and do the same things!

Post what you see! :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Luckie wrote:
set up XP and run a limited user account and do the same things!

Post what you see! :P

Yeah that's Limited User, not Administrator. It'd be worse if you do that on Windows Vista or Windows 7. In Windows Vista & Windows 7, it doesn't matter if you're Limited User or Administrator, it still has that annoying User Account Control Feature.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
I used to leave UAC on becuase I thought that Microsoft knew best, but now, I disable it completely. I just make sure I am careful about what website I visit and what programs I run.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:26 pm 
Donator

Corpse wrote:
Yeah that's Limited User, not Administrator.

and when UAC is on, you are Limited User in Vista / 7 ! So, it is not annoying. It is a great helper. Try to copy a file to the windows folder with a LUA under XP. What do you do after you get the error message?

Using FastUserSwitch or Logoff/LogIn als Admin.

How annoying is this? UAC is great, just a small dialog you have to accept. Why is this annoying to you?

Conclusion:

UAC is NEVER annoying, it is a small helper.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:23 am 
FTP Access

I don't have a problem with it.
I use it at work & have yet to have it cause the problems that others here have experienced.
Vista business set up with a user account, sure it pops up everytime a program or feature
is installed, but I see it for what it was made for, and therefore it doesn't bother me the least amount.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
No, it's the worst Microsoft can do. When you install Windows you already have Windows Firewall & Windows Defender & most commonly People download or buy another Firewall on top of it. User Account Control doesn't defend you from anything, it's just an annoying Feature implemented into Windows that gives you a Warning on nearly every action you do & blocks you from certain things. For example; it blocks some of my Games & some Sites I go to.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:10 pm 
Donator

When I need to do things fast, the UAC comes up and I need to press "Allow"... So it takes much time. I just turned it OFF.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:23 pm 
Donator

sorry Corpse, I gave it up. Your stupidness (sorry to say it that hard) is unbelievable. I told you several time what UAC is and you simply don't want to understand it. Every post from you is just showing your missing knowledge. 8-)

Run a limited User account under Xp for 1 week and do the same things like in Vista/7!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Luckie wrote:
sorry Corpse, I gave it up. Your stupidness (sorry to say it that hard) is unbelievable. I told you several time what UAC is and you simply don't want to understand it. Every post from you is just showing your missing knowledge. 8-)

Run a limited User account under Xp for 1 week and do the same things like in Vista/7!

I'm not stupid, please don't insult my Posts with your irony. You simply don't understand that User Account Control is the worst Program Microsoft has ever made. I've used a Limited Account on Windows XP & it's nothing like using User Account Control.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
I have kept UAC enabled on my laptop .. i find it usefull

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:53 pm 
Donator

In Windows 7 the UAC is much less annoying as it was in Windows Vista.
If someone think that the UAC is annoying or even "the worst Program Microsoft has ever made" then simply turn it off.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:53 pm 

Favourite OS
Dancing Banana
What do I think of it? Not sure... disable it within 23 seconds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:02 pm 
Donator

Corpse wrote:
I've used a Limited Account on Windows XP & it's nothing like using User Account Control.

sorry, you never used a limited account for a longer time. If you did it, you would understand and see the UAC as a helper.

And this is my last post here. A german adage is "der Klügere gibt nach". That's what I do now. Believe in your missing knowledge and be happy *hehe*

@cosmo-freak

but in Win7 the UAC is useless, because it can be simply passed in the default configuration. http://www.pretentiousname.com/misc/win ... list2.html

The Vista configuration is better but "annoying" to people (like Corpse) who don't understand it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Luckie wrote:
Corpse wrote:
I've used a Limited Account on Windows XP & it's nothing like using User Account Control.

sorry, you never used a limited account for a longer time. If you did it, you would understand and see the UAC as a helper.

And this is my last post here. A german adage is "der Klügere gibt nach". That's what I do now. Believe in your missing knowledge and be happy *hehe*

@cosmo-freak

but in Win7 the UAC is useless, because it can be simply passed in the default configuration. http://www.pretentiousname.com/misc/win ... list2.html

The Vista configuration is better but "annoying" to people (like Corpse) who don't understand it.

Yeah I have used it heaps on Limited Account, not annoying as the User Account Control Feature. Just disable it fully, you've already got Windows Firewall & Windows Defender, topped with another Firewall. That's to bad, I know German :) & that Translated is "are the wiser for". That's what it said (in English).

Top  Profile  YIM