BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 8h, 11m | CPU: 49% | MEM: 5617MB of 10931MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

What is your User Account Control (UAC) setting?
Disable (vista)/ Never notify (Windows 7) 50%  50%  [ 29 ]
Notify... do not dim desktop (Windows 7) 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Notify only when programs... (Windows 7) 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
Enable (vista)/ Always notify (Windows 7) 24%  24%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 58
 PostPost subject: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:51 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I personally believe that User Account Control (UAC) is a broken piece of junk and disable it; it wreck many of my programs that otherwise would work normally and annoy me to death, but everyone is entitle to their opinion. What is your thought on UAC?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:52 am 
Donator

Well seeing as you can disable it and it does what its meant to do it doesnt bother me

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:38 am 
FTP Access

Day2Die wrote:
I personally believe that User Account Control (UAC) is a broken piece of junk and disable it; it wreck many of my programs that otherwise would work normally and annoy me to death, but everyone is entitle to their opinion. What is your thought on UAC?

For the "power user" its probably useless as they have little need for such anal interference and are more than capable of making their own decisions. That said, It has its uses. I don't think it does wreck your programs, it is more likely that those who wrote them couldn't be arsed to write them taking into consideration Vista users and UAC, or they were written prior to UAC's introduction. Neither of those scenarios are UAC's fault but are the sole responsability of the software vendor and as is often the case you are simply misplacing the blame. Such flippant statements are one of the reasons Vista has such a poor reputation and are based on subjective speculation rather than fact.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:48 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
OG wrote:
Day2Die wrote:

For the "power user" its probably useless as they have little need for such anal interference and are more than capable of making their own decisions. That said, It has its uses. I don't think it does wreck your programs, it is more likely that those who wrote them couldn't be arsed to write them taking into consideration Vista users and UAC, or they were written prior to UAC's introduction. Neither of those scenarios are UAC's fault but are the sole responsability of the software vendor and as is often the case you are simply misplacing the blame. Such flippant statements are one of the reasons Vista has such a poor reputation and are based on subjective speculation rather than fact.

Well, would you sell a charger for a cell phone that doesn't exist yet. Same sort of thing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:46 am 
Donator

UAC as a concept is quite good, it's how it's implemented that's a pain in the ass, far too invasive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
UAC must be there for people who don't know what they are doing to the computer to save a trip to the store to repair it.
For the people on this forum I suggest turning it off, or using the administrator account.

Look at linux, they have an UAC (sort-off) even longer and it's the same thing, nobody complains about that, so you also shouldn't complain about UAC, otherwise also complain about the linux UAC.

Also, you can open up the properties of the .exe files of any program (like a game for example, written before Vista RTM) and selecting run as Windows XP SP2, and as Administrator, open the ALL USERS button also and do the same.
Then it should run as Administrator and not as you're account.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:46 am 
Donator

The sort of people who use Linux are the sort of people who understand why you can't have unrestricted access to all programs and files, hence no complaining.
The problem with UAC is that while average Joe needs it, it is so annoying that even average Joe wants to turn it off, Windows 7 has sorta dealt with this by toning it down a bit...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
j byne is right, the main problem with windows is that the default account type is 'administrator' and it shouldn't be! when you first ever log in to windows you should be forced to create a "administrator" account and a "user" account and then windows should default to your user account ( that's what Linux does), most users don't realize the dangers of using their windows pc in "administrator" mode hour after hour,day after day, my point being that if windows defaulted to your user account then you wouldn't need UAC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:41 am 
Donator

I'm pretty sure that's sorta what Microsoft was going for with the whole UAC thing, you need to ok anything before you run it with admin privileges.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:32 pm 
Donator

[x] Enable (vista)/ Always notify (Windows 7)

Day2Die wrote:
I personally believe that User Account Control (UAC) is a broken piece of junk and disable it;

no, the only problem is that you are ignorant and don't understand what NT security is.

OG wrote:
it is more likely that those who wrote them couldn't be arsed to write them taking into consideration Vista users and UAC, or they were written prior to UAC's introduction. Neither of those scenarios are UAC's fault but are the sole responsability of the software vendor and as is often the case you are simply misplacing the blame. Such flippant statements are one of the reasons Vista has such a poor reputation and are based on subjective speculation rather than fact.

correctly. Run the same programs that trigger an UAC prompt or fail to run in Vista under XP with a LIMITED USER ACCOUNT and watch the result. Most tools will fail to work!

betaluva wrote:
j byne is right, the main problem with windows is that the default account type is 'administrator' and it shouldn't be! when you first ever log in to windows you should be forced to create a "administrator" account and a "user" account and then windows should default to your user account ( that's what Linux does)

Yes, that's the correct answer! People do not anderstand that they are normal users when UAC is on even if they are in the administrator group.

But that's the problem today. Most childs think they are "power users" because they play games and use Web 2.0 functions. They are not willing to learn how a PC and on OS works internally and so such users have wrong the opinion of Day2Die :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:24 pm 
Donator

An important difference between Windows UAC and Linux Password prompts is the impression they give, with UAC it's "This stupid thing is bugging me with a yes/no question again, just because I want to install a program" with Linux it's "It's asking me for a password to make sure I'm not some program/hacker running rampant through this PC"
In Windows I sign in as Admin and have UAC disabled because I like to do things fast, In Linux I let everthing be and even get a kick out of entering my password to perform sudo stuff and whatnot because it makes me feel like my OS is secure.

Sidenote: The word "Sudo" is cool. I'm sorry if this entire post is a load of crap, I'm tired and it's late and the only thing keeping me up is my music and the three glasses of Pepsi Max I drank earlier...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:29 pm 
FTP Access

I haven't used 7 but in Vista it's ridiculously bad. It should not be popping up for something as harmless as moving or deleting a shortcut in the start menu. Then when I click ok it pops up in my face again! It's enough to drive anyone crazy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
Day2Die wrote:
What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?

It sucks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:32 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
milatchi wrote:
Day2Die wrote:
What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?

It sucks.

Agreed :D

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I generally use the default setting in 7, but turn it off on Vista. Vista's was a little too intrusive for my liking, but I think 7's hits the balance just right :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
I think UAC is for people who aren't too familiar with using a PC. UAC has been changed in Windows 7 so it shouldn't be too bad

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:39 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
My uncle sell computers and many of them want to downgrade to xp to get rid of the nag. He simply turn off UAC and many of them decided that they can live with Vista if UAC is off. Of cause he rather sell vista too because it more expensive that xp ~D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:56 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
If I have my say...

I do think UAC has a use in Windows, but it's what triggers UAC which really really gets me annoyed.

Look at linux, unless you are doing something like loading a config panel or some administrative task, it just prompts you, no in your face you did something wrong you idiot, just a simple background fade, and ask for the password. Job don

Windows, it will prompt you for deleting a shortcut, deleting a read only folder (isn't the it's a read only folder popup enough?) and so on. And the way it informs you, it's just so so so (and so on) annoying and gtfo I KNOW! The sound it makes, du du. The background fade is annoying and slow and just goes DUM there in your face, and it just takes forever for the prompt to load, and to unload it takes forever!

If MS can get UAC right, and not just be some intrusive pos then yeah, it's brilliant. They have made some modifications to make it better in 7, but for example, just loading Worms Armageddon, and it asks me for a UAC confirm for HDD access (the program is not in Program Files, not now or ever).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:32 pm 
"Windows Vista has detected that your mouse has moved. This could harm your computer. Do you wish to continue?" :lol:

PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I turn it off in Vista, but on 7 I generally keep it at its default settings. Doesn't bother me too much.

UAC is a good concept, and it seems that they are getting it right (finally!) in 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:42 pm 
for me that uac is an insult and a major slow down for any experienced/ advanced user out there and the first think i did to my laptop (this was last year) was unistall norton anti virus, the second I did was figure out how to turn the damn thing off.

PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:28 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
Way to bump an old thread.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7\Slackware
Well, Vista has a couple of SP's on it now and UAC does the job it was meet to without prodding you with a stick every five seconds.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:58 pm 
It took some time for Microsoft to implement an equivalent to su, but I'm glad they did. Since Windows is a distribution that focuses a lot on usability any security feature will be hard to implement. This is because you often have to sacrifice user friendliness in order to increase security.

example: a router without security (no password or any authentication mechanism for that matter) would be much more user friendly than a router that required the user to type in a 20+ letter password.

Most Windows users are using an administrative account as their default. This enables malware to control you machine, since all privileges are granted through the users administrative account.

Switching back and forth between a regular (less privileged) user and an administrative account can't be considered very user friendly. To enable regular users to install software you have to implement some sort of feature which grants administrative permission to one specific action of application, in Microsoft's case UAC.

I'm not sure how you could improve the usability much further without sacrificing security. And even the UAC implementation can not be considered fool proof, since malware has been spotted that imitate the UAC password input dialog to fool the user into supplying the administrative password, thus defeating the purpose of the UAC.

/untitled

PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of User Account Control (UAC) ?        Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I disable it. It gets annoying quickly, although the one in windows 7 is better.

I guess it would be good for people who are not so pc literate and usually end up installing spyware accidentally. The way i figure it is, its my computer and i bought the os, i should be able to do what i want. And if something goes wrong, its my fault and i will fix it myself, as i have before.

Top  Profile