BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 55d, 2h, 59m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5986MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:56 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

I just got this reply from Acer when I enquired about getting my backlight fixed!

Quote:
Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

This would be classed as a chargeable repair, the process would be the following.

There will be a £51.99 charge taken from you before your machine is brought in for repair. You will then be given courier details so that you may arrange collection of your machine for shipment to our repair centre. Once received in the repair centre it will undergo assessment by one of our technicians. They will draw up a written proposal for you containing full details pertaining to your repair. This will be sent to you by post giving you ten days to respond.

Once you have received the proposal you have the option to reject it, which means the £51.99 will cover the engineer and couriers fees, and the machine will be returned to you un-repaired.

After ten days, if your proposal is not signed and returned to us by fax or post the repair is defaulted as rejected, your machine is not repaired, and shipped back to you.

We can not give estimates of repair costs, under any circumstances, without the machine being diagnosed by an Acer technician

If you would like to book your machine in for an assessment please let us know and we will make the necessary arrangements.

Regards

Steve
Acer Technical Support Team

£51.99, before they even fix anything!!! Well they can sod off with that, I can buy a new backlight for the same price as their fee just to diagnose it...

Does anyone know any decent sites (uk only of course) where I can get replacement parts such as the backlight and/or the inverter?

Cheers.

Andy

P.S. Just replied to them.

Quote:
Hello,

That cost is ridiculous and is not justifiable for a laptop that is just over 1 year old and under 1 month out of warranty. I have laptops here over 7 years old still working fine, also Acer branded. I find it appalling that you can even suggest charging that much just for diagnosis when I know exactly what is wrong with the hardware already.

You can forget me sending it to you for repair, the charges are too ludicrous for such a young aged laptop. I can fix it myself for half the cost of the initial diagnosis cost you would charge. This is also the last time I buy an Acer laptop after swearing by them for over 5 years.

I suggest you pass this message along to someone who might do something about the ridiculous charges. If you can come to some sort of agreement on charges because the laptop is just out of warranty I will be willing to listen.

Andrew Whyman

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Good Chap :)

They got a similar message from me the other week, as they were refusing to honor their warranty (RAM is a consumable, you know!)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 pm 
FTP Access

Acer are terrible, they sell cheaply-made rubbish that doesn't last - I had an Acer laptop a few years ago that was very high-spec and quite expensive and the inverter board dies after about 2.5 years and then the whole motherboard a few months after getting that repaired - other people have told me they tend to use very poor-quality components (boards, Ram, etc) too and do not last.

You could either do what I did and just sell it for its scrap value on eBay (got nearly £200 for mine even though it had a dead board and was nearly three years old), or check eBay or similar out for replacement parts, I bought the inverter board from there - it's harder if you don't know which part is to blame though. Did it suddenly just go completely dark and never comes on or flickers now, or was it a gradual thing? Were there any signs of a pinkish tinge to the screen or any other problems before it went? Can you still see what is on the screen if you hold it up to a light and look closely at it (ie the screen is working but the backlight is not on), or is the screen not working at all?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:59 pm 
Donator

Acer last for me, mine has lasted ages (it came when XP was new) but the hardware sucks compared to the price of others sometimes.

It would be hard to tell if my back light died... you can hardly see it anyways... (2:1 contrast ratio anyone ;) )

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
way to go Andy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:09 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2,

I've sworn by Acer for years, I've always felt they make the best quality laptops for build quality. E.G They don't feel plasticy like Dell and HP, etc. And Compaq I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

The backlight just didn't come on after I left it on standby over Friday night. However I did spill a glass of water next to it, and it did splash it, but so very little and it was closed when it happened, and I wiped it off straight away. It was a tiny amount and there was no way it could have got inside. I already took it apart to check connections and there was no water in there either. Coincidence or not? With my bad luck recently, probably not.

It never flickered, or went dim, it just stopped working. No tinges, and the screen does still work fine. I've been using it on the VGA output today while burning a DVD on it too so the graphics side of it is fine.

I've sourced an inverter from eBay for just under £25, and the seller said if it didn't work he would refund in full, so thats pleasing to know. So, I think I'll go with that and try my luck. Backlights don't just "die", but I know the inverters can.

The right hand speaker on this laptop also died some months ago, but that was because I was overdriving the soundcard I think, it crackled and died in about 10 seconds, so thats my fault and I'm not too fussed. Headphones still work on both channels so its a simple hardware fault on the speaker itself.

I'll try my luck at the inverter and let everyone know how I got on. Its not hard to replace so as soon as I get it I can do it in the space of about 15 minutes. I hope it works!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Acer are terrible, they sell cheaply-made rubbish that doesn't last - I had an Acer laptop a few years ago that was very high-spec and quite expensive and the inverter board dies after about 2.5 years and then the whole motherboard a few months after getting that repaired - other people have told me they tend to use very poor-quality components (boards, Ram, etc) too and do not last.

I don't think Acer products are that bad. I think you're saying that Acer desktops/laptops are bad, because I have a 22-inch Acer Widescreen monitor and it works pretty well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:57 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
For value for money, Acer's are the way to go, but now this talk is getting me somewhat concerned now. The warranty on this expires on 4 April :/

You didn't say what model your laptop was Andy (or did I miss something out)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:00 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Rioter wrote:
You didn't say what model your laptop was Andy (or did I miss something out)

Extensa 5620

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:15 am 
FTP Access

I had an Acer TravelMate 4670. Right off the bat, one of the keys had problems (I would have to hit it multiple times to get it to register), but that was the only problem. A few months later in January 2007, I turned the laptop on and was greeted with about 25-30 stuck pixels. I called them up and I sent it in, no problem. All covered by the warranty. But when I got it back, they hadn't fixed the problem (makes me wonder if they even turned the laptop on, since I noticed it as soon as I turned it on). I called them back up and I was told to send it back in, so I did. This time they replaced the screen (but just the LCD panel and backlight, the casing was the same). However, they did a crap job of replacing the screen. The entire casing was all bent and warped from where they replaced the screen and the monitor was loosely held in there. A few months later, the screen was scuffed up from where it was in contact with the case. It was about a 4 inch long scuff mark. It wasn't very thick. By the time the laptop was out of warranty, the DVD drive was horribly out of balanced (causing it to vibrate very loudly, and I read it could wear out the bearings).

The casing seemed very cheap. This wasn't a cheap laptop either. I paid over 1,500 USD for it. I also got cheated out of 6 months of my warranty. The warranty started February of 2006 and ended February 2007. However, I bought the laptop July 2006 and it was advertised as having a 12 month warranty. I was very disappointed with them and I will never buy another Acer laptop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:22 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I ordered a new inverter from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0275625893

Hopefully it will solve the backlight issue, if not the seller said he will refund. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:31 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Got the new inverter today, but unfortunately it was the wrong "size" for the laptop. I tried it anyway (same connectors) but the backlight still didn't power up, so I think the backlight itself is dead and not the inverter :(

A new backlight is going to cost me about £50 too :( I don't know what to do, since I can't afford it at the moment.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:03 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I searched eBay and there is one for $10 plus $10 P&P but its in USA, so I'm weary of buying it.

Also, for someone in the UK your English is very poor... Your posts will start getting deleted if we can't comprehend them. I'd book up on your grammar and spelling if I were you.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:50 am 
Donator

Talking to yourself again Andy?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Acer laptop backlight dead        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:32 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
happy dude wrote:
Talking to yourself again Andy?

No, a spam user got deleted along with his posts, to which my post was a reply.

Top  Profile  WWW