BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 14h, 15m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5928MB of 10690MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: UK further computing qualifications / ccna.        Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Hi,

Well after nearly 3 years of being self-employed I think it is time to move on and get back into education. I've turned 20 and want to further my knowledge really. What I'm really interested in is networking.

I'm already qualified up to the hilt in Microsoft Certifications, not that they mean much anyway tbh. So I've been looking towards Cisco or Novell qualifications. The Cisco qualification (CCNA) looks a good place to start. I have had a quick look over the syllabus and it all looks very easy but it is a recognized qualification and leads onto other degree level courses.

I'm just really asking if anyone here has done it and what sort of experience they had with it. Are there any books I should be reading? What sort of networking knowledge would they require from me? (Having a limited knowledge of UNIX networking, but very extensive knowledge of windows / microsoft networking)

Would be greatly appreciated if someone could answer these :)

Cheers

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: UK further computing qualifications / ccna.        Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Well, I am doing Cisco (as part of a school class).

It's has nothing do to with Unix or Linux or Mac.
Sometimes with Windows, but most of the time it's about Routers, Switches and their protocols.
Also you need to be an master in subnet calculating.
What is even more difficult that it is only in English and some other languages, and my motherlanguage is not english.

Here's an example page:

Every page looks like this.

You can do things, go for Discovery or Explorartion, it consists of 4 modules each, and you need to do exams after each 2 to get CCNA.

Also, this are the current versions:
Exploration = 4.0
Discovery = 4.0 except Discovery 2 wich is 4.1

You can find some docs and installers for the course (including packet tracer) on the internet but this is highly illegal.

I would suggest going to this site:
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/index.html

And select one of the Course Catalog's on the right side, it contains demo's.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW