BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 50d, 14h, 53m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 6229MB of 10958MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: [RANT] - Web developers!        Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
I need to vent some frustration, so here goes!

Over the last 6 months I've had a team of web developers working on a new site for one of my products. It has taken so long because they seem not to have any ears, and don't listen to what we've asked for.

Over the course of the last six months I've had 6 different project managers, 3 different developers and 3 different graphic designers with this company - and still they don't seem to be able to get it right! I have ended up designing the site myself, creating high def PSDs for the web graphics AND ended up slicing the pages to html/css for them. Which really leaves them with only the databases and backend to do. The site was supposed to go live on the 28th Feburary, but predictably, I heard nothing from them untill this morning when I received a very buggy *beta* version, as they call it. Well there are no backend functions yet running and they have not yet merged our current database.

I received a call form my project manager this morning finally asking for the log in details for our new server. I gave him them, only to be told he could not ping the IP address nor log in via Remote Desktop. I found this odd as I can log in just fine here, and on any of our computers. Finally after talking with the provider we discovered a problem with the web dev's firewall (which I had to diagnose for them, as they seemed dead set that the problem wasn't theirs).

I then received a call about an hour later asking for the log in details to my old server so they could take a dump (hahaha) from the current database. Fine. I gave them the log in details, and told them it was a Unix box. No problems there, untill I get a call ten minutes later. Here is the actual quote from my web developer "We've tried to log in, but we can't even connect via remote desktop". Major facepalm moment.

So I've had to muck about for 20minutes sorting that out and transferring it to our new server - not a problem, but I'm starting to wonder how exactly they're earning their 40k+ GBP for this project...

...very stressed. Tim.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [RANT] - Web developers!        Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Wow, you would have thought for that sort of money they could bother to be competent and get the work done 8-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [RANT] - Web developers!        Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:47 pm 
When they ask for money..

say nofu.

PostPost subject: Re: [RANT] - Web developers!        Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:58 am 
Donator

RobJackson wrote:
When they ask for money..

say nofu.

Id pay them much less citing that they did a bad job that is if I bothered paying at all as I do agree with the nofu thing but they might hack it down or take you to court over it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RANT] - Web developers!        Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:09 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
hougtimo wrote:
"We've tried to log in, but we can't even connect via remote desktop".

I laughed out loud.

keep a mater-of-fact log book detailing your interactions and actions. If anybody asks what you have been up to - show them the log.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [RANT] - Web developers!        Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Well sent an 8 page word document to them for 9am this morning with a ton of corrections for them to do. No word back yet, and they haven't been active on the server.

Our company lawyers are now pushing for a variation of terms agreement, which will hopefully mean we won't be paying quite as much.

Oh well, another day wasted and me just taking customer phone calls, when I'm payed to be a technical director. Depressing.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]